by dmcaf

Downloads: 2,780 (11) • Reviews: 2

Version:

Updated:

Aug 11, 2013

Odd 'course score'

Odd 'course score'

Postby easterbird » Sat May 21, 2011 3:31 pm

Just finished a ride and uploaded. Checked all the great plugins I've already installed. Cool. For course score I am using the version 1.4 Today's ride came up with an overall score of 2.07( 88.2 score for 42.6 miles). I can see that the value of 88.2/42.6 = 2.07. Where does the 88.2 value come from? Is it simply a cumulative value from the sums of all the 'hills' listed in the detail view? If I add up all the individual 'hill' scores the value for the total I find is 27.33.

Most of my rides in my home area yield a value of 0.7 to 1.1. I have seen this on one other ride that came up with a score of 5.9. Is there some other parameters used? Perhaps I have the wrong settings(although the settings for course score are same for all routes I tested). Thanks
easterbird
easterbird
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Odd 'course score'

Postby dmcaf » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:19 pm

All the course scores are based off power curves.

The calculations for cycling are pretty simple. I break the course up into grade pairs like (distance, grade). So if you ride a course that has a max of 2% grade, you'll have 3 pairs. (x, 0) (y, 1) (z, 2) where x, y, and z are your distances for those grades. I dump any grade that's less than 0 for cycling. Descents require 0 power to travel.

Then, to get your score, here's the math in pseudo-code:
for each grade/distance pair
score += (pair.meters / 1000) * ((.35 * pair.grade) + .1)

The math for running scores is much much trickier. I can provide it if you are interested.
dmcaf
Donated!
Donated!

Postby easterbird » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:31 pm

Thanks for your explanation re how you arrive at a course score. I am still baffled how similar rides over same roads yield o.8 for one and 3.79 for another. Is thre any data you'd like to look at to check it out?

Thanks
Easterbird
easterbird
easterbird
Donated!
Donated!

Postby dmcaf » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:52 am

easterbird wrote:Thanks for your explanation re how you arrive at a course score. I am still baffled how similar rides over same roads yield o.8 for one and 3.79 for another. Is thre any data you'd like to look at to check it out?

That is the primary issue I am working on currently. About 5 minutes ago I sent a version to a tester that is experiencing the same issues. Hopefully it will solve the problems and I can release the fix this week.
dmcaf
Donated!
Donated!

Postby easterbird » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Excellent! I love this plug in and appreciate the time you spend for us. Looking forward to the fix.
easterbird
easterbird
Donated!
Donated!

Postby dmcaf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:00 pm

We should be all fixed up. v1.5 was released today.
dmcaf
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Course Score