Downloads: 23,629 (9) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Apr 11, 2011

find your best power numbers

find your best power numbers

Postby brent1 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi-
Thanks for the great plugin. It gives me an easy way to track my best power at different time intervals across a season. Very cool! I'm not sure if this is possible or not but do you know if I could make a field that would give my best power over 60 minutes and also the normalized power over that same time period?
Thanks!
Brent
brent1

Re: find your best power numbers

Postby texmurphy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:51 am

Try Training Analysis Plugin
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby camel » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:15 am

camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:46 am

"Best power over 60 minutes" is also called "CP60" (critical power over 60 minutes) and provided by Training Analysis plugin - as Texmurphy has already posted. The next plugin version will show NP for that interval as well.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby rikicarra » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:06 am

brent1 wrote:Hi-
Thanks for the great plugin. It gives me an easy way to track my best power at different time intervals across a season. Very cool! I'm not sure if this is possible or not but do you know if I could make a field that would give my best power over 60 minutes and also the normalized power over that same time period?
Thanks!
Brent

It's easy to calculate your best power over 60 min:
{MAXPEAKTIME(Power,3600)}

I have one field to calculate that, as well as other fields where I calculate my best power over 5 sec, 10 sec, 20 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, 2 min, 3 min, 5 min, 8 min, 20 min, 90 min. I have create an activity view showing all those values, related to Power Profile and Fatigue Profile (ref. Training and Racing with a Power Meter). BTW, Training Analysis does the same (go to the Critical Power tab), the advantage of doing that in Calculated Field is that you can have an overall view of all your activities in one screen

I don't think it's possible to calculate the best NP, with Calculated Fields I calculate NP but it is referred to the whole activity I believe.
rikicarra

Postby mechgt » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:18 am

MeanMax plugin is also designed to do exactly that: Find max power (or other data point) over X mins, secs, etc. The homepage has screenshots, examples, and download link.

MeanMax
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:20 am

rikicarra wrote:
brent1 wrote:Hi-
Thanks!
Brent

It's easy to calculate your best power over 60 min:
{MAXPEAKTIME(Power,3600)}

I have one field to calculate that, as well as other fields where I calculate my best power over 5 sec, 10 sec, 20 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, 2 min, 3 min, 5 min, 8 min, 20 min, 90 min. I have create an activity view showing all those values, related to Power Profile and Fatigue Profile (ref. Training and Racing with a Power Meter). BTW, Training Analysis does the same (go to the Critical Power tab), the advantage of doing that in Calculated Field is that you can have an overall view of all your activities in one screen

I don't think it's possible to calculate the best NP, with Calculated Fields I calculate NP but it is referred to the whole activity I believe.

I also defined the same best power numbers, but as a sceptical guy being ready to test everything in this universe I added 1 sec, too.

1) It helped me to find out that {MAXPEAKTIME(Power,5)} does NOT calculate the peak power over 5 sec, but that over 6 sec, {MAXPEAKTIME(Power,30)} calculates the best power over 31 seconds etc.

What is amazing that best power over 1 sec CANNOT be calculated, because {MAXPEAKTIME(Power,0)} returns with an error, while {MAXPEAKTIME(Power,1)} returns with the peak power over 2 seconds.

Do you think, camel, is it a BUG?

2) I also got strange results regarding longer term peak powers. It could be said that who cares whether a peak power of an activity over 30 minutes is 163 as other softwares calculate it or just 162 as the plugin calculates it, but I do care with it if

{MAXPEAKTIME(Power,1800)} of an activity is 162

while

{MAXPEAKTIME(Power,2400)} of the same activity is 163.

It is illogical for me, especially because the start times of 30 min and 40 min best powers are exactly the same

Any idea about where this small discrepancy comes???

EDITED: Actually I figured it out the solution for point 2, but it is so interesting and so counter-intuition that I decided not delete the point 2. The phenomenon is possible if the power data are like a U curve. The average of a U is higher than choosing any shorter part of the U.
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:33 am

It is strange that it was neither confirmed nor confuted by the other that the peak power of 5 sec cna be calculated as {MAXPEAKTIME(Power,4)}.

Am I the only guy who realized it or it had been sooooo evident before my post?
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Return to Calculated Fields