Downloads: 1,496 (10) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Apr 28, 2018

New plugin "Backup Plugin"

Re: New plugin "Backup Plugin"

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:32 pm

old_man_biking wrote:
Tisztul_A_Visztula wrote:I got back to my beloved PC and you were right OMB, some files were write protected.

Yep, that's what I had seen when I had hacked myself into your PC :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously: that was the only possible solution that I could think of after looking at my code.

And did you like the overclocked CPU? ;-)
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:42 am

old_man_biking wrote:
Tisztul_A_Visztula wrote:I am getting familiar with the plugin. I bought it several weeks ago, so I have a short history. Today I found out that the plugin did not automatically delete the old backups. I focused only on the differential ones. The setting of the automatic deletion of differential backups is 1 week(s), and of course it is clicked in.

1) What can be the reason of forgetting the old differential backups. I had as many as 15-20 before manually deleting them.

2) And what is the algorithm if the last full backup was made 2 weeks ago? In this case are the differential ones being older than 1 week deleted even if they are younger than the last full backup? And paralelly a new full backup is created just not to forget any changes since the last backup? Or are these differential backups are kept?
Note: right now it is not the case, because I manually created some full backups on a regular basis, I just wish to know the logics behind?

I am a bit in darkness even having read the manual

3) BTW manual: in the screenshot of the manual it is written that "...less verbose...", while in the current version of the plugin it is "...more verbose...". So which one is the correct one?

So far for today. ;-)

Re 1) I've checked the code and re-tested and cannot reproduce that. The older backup files should be deleted IF THEY ARE NOT WRITE PROTECTED!
Re 2) I'm not sure if I understand.
Re 3) "... more ..." - I've changed the web site.

Cheers,
OMB

Dear OMB,

Since my last post in this forum I checked the new backups, both full and differential ones, and it seems that all the files are created by the plugin as Write Protected. I know that maybe my question is beyond the scope of the plugin, but what can be the reasons behind it?

I manually changed the attribute of these files to NON-WRITE PROTECTED including that of the directory, I mean the folder, but the new files are created again as write protected. I have XP.

Thanks,
Zoltan
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby old_man_biking » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:34 am

Ouch, it seems that in my unfailing wisdom I let the plugin create backups as write protected but don't handle this when deleting older backups :oops: :oops:
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:22 am

Understood. But how the hell didnt it cause a trouble for anybody except for me???

Am i the only user who tries to use it? :-)
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby texmurphy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:19 am

Stealth deletion of Backup sets in the days of relatively unlimited cheap storage is not a great idea anyway.
I do not specify the plugin purge backups and so I have not encountered this problem.
IMHO Backup sets should be read-only.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:19 am

Hhm, had a 2nd look at my code. In fact I'm not as stupid as I had assumed.
The code DOES try to remove the write protection before deleting the old backup file.
So I don't really understand what's happening on your machine.

The code can handle "normal" write protections. If you however do something "more complicated" to the file, e.g. change owner of a file on an NTFS file system to a user that does not have write permission, the plugin won't be able to delete the file.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:47 am

"The code DOES try to remove the write protection before deleting the old backup file.
So I don't really understand what's happening on your machine."

Now i deem I start to understand the mistery. I do not manipulate the files themselvesm but I am such a guy who disables lots of Services of Win XP to speed it up after installing XP.

Maybe there are some services which are needed to remove the Write protection by the plugin. What do you think OMB? Are you familiar with the bult-in services of XP?
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:56 am

Sorry, I'm blond.
However so far I use two different .NET classes to 1. remove write protection and 2. delete the file.
Maybe there's an issue with this approach. I'll change this to a single "access point" in the next version.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby IngO » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:31 am

Hallo,
ich nutze noch die Testversion deines Plugins.
Momentan versuche ich damit nur die SportTracks 3.1 Installation von der Vista-Boot-Partition des gleiche Rechners zur Windows-7-Seite umzuziehen. Wenn ich nun versuche unter Windows 7 in SportTracks die Vollsicherung einzuspielen kommt immer die Meldung: "Fehler bei 1 Datei(en)" und
dieses Protokoll:

Sicherung zurückladen: "F:\SportTracks\Backup\SportTracks_2012-01-14_10-33-03_full.st3backup"
F:\SportTracks\Backup\SportTracks_2012-01-14_10-33-03_full.st3backup:
FEHLER: E:\Training\Historie von Ingo Hansch.logbook3 (Ein Teil des Pfades "E:\Training" konnte nicht gefunden werden.)
extract file C:\Users\hghansch\AppData\Local\ZoneFiveSoftware\SportTracks\3\Preferences.System.xml...
the file C:\Users\hghansch\AppData\Local\ZoneFiveSoftware\SportTracks\3\Preferences.System.xml exists; deleting it...
extract file C:\ProgramData\ZoneFiveSoftware\SportTracks\3\Web Files\Images\Mapping\GPSPoint.Selected.Circle.4.255.232.78.78.png...
the file C:\ProgramData\ZoneFiveSoftware\SportTracks\3\Web Files\Images\Mapping\GPSPoint.Selected.Circle.4.255.232.78.78.png exists; deleting it...
extract file C:\ProgramData\ZoneFiveSoftware\SportTracks\3\Weather\WUData\Bechhofen-a-d-H-.xml...
the file C:\ProgramData\ZoneFiveSoftware\SportTracks\3\Weather\WUData\Bechhofen-a-d-H-.xml exists; deleting it...
extract file C:\ProgramData\ZoneFiveSoftware\SportTracks\3\Plugins\Data\OMBPlugins\TRIAL-0a53338b-e9d2-4d2f-8f81-4f5d6746a209.lic...
the file C:\ProgramData\ZoneFiveSoftware\SportTracks\3\Plugins\Data\OMBPlugins\TRIAL-0a53338b-e9d2-4d2f-8f81-4f5d6746a209.lic exists; deleting it...
4 Datei(en) zurückgeladen
51 unveränderte Datei(en) übersprungen
Fehler bei 1 Datei(en)
fertig!

Unrelevant welche Vollsicherung ich wähle. Inwiefern hat er oben mit dem .logbook3 Pfad Probleme (Leerzeichen im Pfad?) und was kann ich hier tun.

Bevor das Plugin nicht richtig funktioniert, will ich es eigentlich auch nicht kaufen. Das wirst du verstehen oder?

Im Voraus vielen Dank
IngO
IngO

Postby old_man_biking » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:51 am

This looks as if directory "E:\Training" does not exist.
Right?
The plugin doesn't create non-existing folders.
So simply create E:\Training directory in Windows Explorer and retry.

Please give feedback if this was your problem.

EDITED: For the next version I'll pop up a dialog in this case where you can select and/or create a folder where this file shall be restored to.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby IngO » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:33 am

Richtig, beim booten von Windows 7 hieß die entsprechende Platte F:. Da es nur eine Daten Partition ist habe ich einfach den Laufwerksbuchstaben auch hier auf E: gesetzt. Der Fehler war dann verschwunden, theoretisch verlief der Import fehlerfrei, allerdings waren keine Werte in SportTracks übernommen. Ich musste manuell die logbook3-Datei ändern und dann das Backup nocheinmal einspielen. Auf den ersten Blick passt alles, ich gehe die Daten jetzt nocheinmal durch.
Vorab schon einmal Danke!
IngO

Postby old_man_biking » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:46 am

Ein Hinweis: mit Doppelklick auf die Logbuchdatei öffnest Du sie in ST.
Und dann merkt sich SportTracks diesen Dateinamen, d.h. beim nächsten Start von ST ist sie automatisch geöffnet.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:53 pm

old_man_biking wrote:Sorry, I'm blond.
However so far I use two different .NET classes to 1. remove write protection and 2. delete the file.
Maybe there's an issue with this approach. I'll change this to a single "access point" in the next version.

Maybe .NET classes are the places you should change the method. For a while I have been using a laptop with Win7 32, and I did not disable any services. No playing with regedit at all. My findings are that some backup files are really deleted by Backup plugin, some not.

From my side it is really a puzzle, since I did not even touch the backup files, only the plugin does it. A couple of days ago a backup of 18th Jan was deleted correctly, today one of 24th Jan, but I had to manually delete both one of 19th and 22nd Jan to be consistent, also today. (4 weeks is the settings for full backup deletion, and I also create full backups in a manual way, and I have plenty of backups in February so keeping at least 2 would have been valid even after removing 19th and 22nd Jan)
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Fri May 11, 2012 2:27 pm

old_man_biking wrote:Sorry, I'm blond.

Hi OMB,

Did you actually change the method to use one .NET classes in the version published on 7th May?

Thx
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby old_man_biking » Fri May 11, 2012 3:03 pm

I think so :)
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:50 pm

The plugin still doesnt delete the backups being older than the set time limit. My hope is fading away to get this feature.

Does it still work properly on your side, dear other users?
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby texmurphy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Tisztul_A_Visztula wrote:The plugin still doesnt delete the backups being older than the set time limit. My hope is fading away to get this feature.
Does it still work properly on your side, dear other users?
texmurphy wrote:Stealth deletion of Backup sets in the days of relatively unlimited cheap storage is not a great idea anyway.
I do not specify the plugin purge backups and so I have not encountered this problem.
IMHO Backup sets should be read-only.

I favor automatic non-deletion, this works well for me 8)
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:42 am

old_man_biking wrote:I think so :)

So far as I thought that "keep at least two files" means that there will be always two files as backups independently from their save date. Now I feel that two files are kept from those being older than the time threshold set. Am I right?
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Previous

Return to Backup