Backup

by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,496 (10) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Apr 28, 2018

New plugin "Backup Plugin"

Postby spruitp » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:06 am

Hi OMB, I made some type-errors. I uninstalled the backup plugin by using Start/all programs/Oldmanbikingsporttracksplugins. Every time i start up Sporttracks i get the notification that this is a trailversion. It still sits in the plugin section. So it isn't uninstalled. I can't see it in start/all programs etc anymore to try to unistall it again. Is this all a windows 7 problem? :?:
spruitp
Donated!
Donated!

Postby swehjo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:18 am

First full backup causes a crash of ST with:

EventType : clr20r3 P1 : sporttracks.exe P2 : 2.1.3478.21513
P3 : 4a5772e3 P4 : backupplugin P5 : 0.1.3658.26642 P6 : 4b449495
P7 : a P8 : 19c P9 : system.nullreferenceexception

Windows XP SP3 English version. I do however have the Swedish letter å in the log file name. Haven't tried renaming it though...

Håkan
swehjo

Postby texmurphy » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:49 pm

Since I have started using an Edge 500, I have been saving the *.fit native files from the Edge 500. This in case ST ever gets a native .fit importer and for other compulsive reasons.

Is it possible to select an entire directory of files as part of the "Additional Files to Backup" option? *.fit doesn't work.
Since I am adding to the directory of .fit files all the time, I don't want to name each file. Alternative is that I put them in a zip'ed archive and back that up. Would that work?
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:03 pm

So far, you can just select files, not directories or file name patterns.
So you would have to resort to your zip file workaround.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ildibad » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:42 pm

Omb,

St crashes on full backup with vista.
simple message " st a cessé de fonctionné - windows recherche la solution"

you know my private mail.
Don't hesitate to send me beta release, I know the drill :wink:

cheers,
Running with :
acics kayano 18 - Sports tracker pro (android) - polar wearlink bluetooth
my dog : Ithaq (border collee) (Shimly - a happy mixing - retired in 2012)
ildibad
Donated!
Donated!

Postby msdd » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:08 am

Hi OMB,

what would be happen if I make a full backup from my current ST running under WinXP, install ST on a new PC with Win7 Starter and restore the backup file.
Would this be possible to run ST on the new system with all data even the users are different?
Matthias
Using Garmin FR 305 + SportTracks for running
Greatings from Germany
msdd
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:04 am

If everything works as designed, this should do what you expect, no matter if users are different.
One note: the plugin only copies data so you have to install ST and plugins manually. You should do this before you copy the data - I don't know if there plugins that overwrite copied data during installation.

One caveat: I don't have a W'7 test system yet, so I couldn't test for W'7. Well this won't be necessary, because now I seem to have a test user :evil:

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:41 am

I'm getting expiration warnings every time ST starts now...
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:40 am

Yes, this plugin is still in beta state and I've built in a 3 month auto-expiry so that beta versions that are possibly not as stable won't cause problems forever.

I'll upload a new version tomorrow.
As there hasn't been much beta feedback in the recent weeks, this will be a non-beta version.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Jake! » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:21 pm

spruitp wrote:Hi OMB, I made some type-errors. I uninstalled the backup plugin by using Start/all programs/Oldmanbikingsporttracksplugins. Every time i start up Sporttracks i get the notification that this is a trailversion. It still sits in the plugin section. So it isn't uninstalled. I can't see it in start/all programs etc anymore to try to unistall it again. Is this all a windows 7 problem? :?:

Gday,
I've got the same problem. I uninstalled it but now every time I start ST I have to answer the box "Backup Plugin - Trial Version" Go to home page Yes/No, and then the Plugin Expired box as well.

Is there a way to remove this as if I am not wanting to use the plugin it is very annoying. I just want to open ST without being pestered :)

Cheer,s
Jake
Jake!

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:44 am

Are you using W'7 as well? I suspect that there might be an installer/uninstaller issue on this platform?
Please let me know.

Manual uninstall:
Open the plugin's settings page. You find the plugin installation folder in the very bottom of this page. Delete this folder (the one with the cryptic name) and the plugin will be gone forever.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Jake! » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:33 am

I'm using XP SP2.

But I don't understand your instructions. In ST, I cannot find the plugin installation folder with the cryptic name.

Cheers,
Jake
Jake!

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:35 am

Please open the plugin's settings page.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, please have a look at the FAQ forum to learn what the "Settings" view is.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Jake! » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:36 am

I know what it is. I am there now. I will post a screen shot.
Jake!

Postby Jake! » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:41 am

Ok, here it is.

Perhaps I need to reinstall the plugin for this folder to be visible?
Jake!

Postby Jake! » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:44 am

Nope. Reinstalled. Still no good.
Jake!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:12 am

Your beta version has been expired on 06/04/10.

Maybe that the issue?
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:00 am

Oops, no.
Seems that I've added this feature (display of installation folder) AFTER I built the version that you've installed.

Other way to get this information:
Run the installer (setup) for this plugin again.
On the last screen before files are installed, the plugin displays the installation folder as well.
Abort install, open the folder, delete and here you are.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Jake! » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:26 pm

All sorted now. Thanks for your help :)
Jake!

Backup setting of Calculated Fields and Trails

Postby rikicarra » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:52 pm

I have two installation, one at home (XP) and one on my mountain house (W7). I have tried for the first time to transfer data and setting from home to mountain, it worked fine except:
1. Setting of Calculated Fields plugin are not backed up (and restored). I have discovered that those settings are recorded in a xml file, here the path in XP (my user name is Riki): C:\Documents and Settings\Riki\Dati applicazioni\CalculatedFieldsPlugin.xml
In W7 the folder structure is different, the same file is stored under C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\CalculatedFieldsPlugin\preferences.xml
Any chance to be able to backup/restore that file?

2. Coordinates of the starting and ending point of the Trails plugin after restore are completely odd

Thank for your support
rikicarra

Re: Backup setting of Calculated Fields and Trails

Postby gerhard » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:11 pm

rikicarra wrote:1. Setting of Calculated Fields plugin are not backed up (and restored). I have discovered that those settings are recorded in a xml file, here the path in XP (my user name is Riki): C:\Documents and Settings\Riki\Dati applicazioni\CalculatedFieldsPlugin.xml
In W7 the folder structure is different, the same file is stored under C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\CalculatedFieldsPlugin\preferences.xml
Any chance to be able to backup/restore that file?

That should be changed in Calculated Fields plugin. There are few settings a plugin should store outside outside ST. Settings should normally be in System.Preferences.xml, unless it is tightly connected to data when it should be stored in the logbook.

rikicarra wrote:2. Coordinates of the starting and ending point of the Trails plugin after restore are completely odd

I doubt that is a problem really with the Backup problem (other than that some settings are not intended to be transferred between computers).
Separate response in another post.
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Re: New plugin "Backup Plugin"

Postby speedlever » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:39 pm

I just downloaded Backup and Weather plug-ins to try out. After installation, both return the same error that the trial period has expired. Can you advise?

-speedy
speedlever
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:43 am

A problem that sometimes occurs.
Please ORDER both plugins in my plugin shop http://www.old-man-biking.com/SportTracksPlugins/shop. Don't pay but send me a PM with the invoice ID "OMB ..."

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby speedlever » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:43 am

Thanks. Trying the backup plug-in now.

Just to clarify, backup will also save any custom ST settings I choose? Such as analysis data smoothing, etc? So I should be safe to use the desktop PC backup file to sync with my laptop and then my desktop and laptop will have the same settings and data?

Edit: also, how does your backup plug-in differ from the files saved under Settings/data files? Does it save the same data and settings?

Last edited by speedlever on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
-speedy
speedlever
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:53 am

Did you read the plugin catalog page and/or online manual? This should be covered there.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

PreviousNext

Return to Backup