Downloads: 1,496 (10) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Apr 28, 2018

New plugin "Backup Plugin"

New plugin "Backup Plugin"

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:56 am

Hi folks,

this is the continuation of a discussion that started in the "Enhancements" forum as "System Preferences backup" (see http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTr ... php?t=7073 ) and then slightly shifted off topic.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi folks,

I've just finished a first beta of a "backup plugin" that can backup and restore all ST data files that I know about to a single ZIP file.
It does deliberately NOT backup cached files that can be easily recreated, e.g. the downloaded map tiles.

The installer can be downloaded from:
http://www.sporttracks-plugins.com/Spor ... p_beta.exe

Note: although I applied the usual care to avoid bugs, and although I've been using it for a while without problems,
please make sure that you have backups to revert to, just in case the plugin should behave strange.

The plugin creates a ST view "Backups" and a settings page. It backups all/most of the files in Gerhard's post in the FAQ section.

Cheers,
OMB

PS: Of course the plugin can easily be extended to backup other paths as well. Just let me know.

PPS: It can be used as well to copy ST data files from one PC to another, even when the file system structure is different (this feature is not tested but should work).
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:01 pm

I've just uploaded a new beta version that should cover all reasonable paths as of Gerhard's FAQ ( http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTr ... 5922#35922 ).

The installer can be downloaded from:

As I don't use all plugins mentioned there, I could not test if Gerhard's paths are correct (there's one typo for the Matrix plugin, Gerhard) and if I backup a reasonalble data set for these plugins or "too much".

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:58 pm

Looks like it grabbed most (maybe all) of plugin specific data. I need to transfer to new machine to test it completely.

* Way to backup all logbooks, not just currently opened logbook. Then I won't have to open each logbook and save possibly duplicated stuff.

* What is meant by "less verbose protocol"?
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi Tex,

currently it backups all logbooks that were open during the current ST session (since you started ST).
There's no SportTracks API method to retrieve a list of all known logbooks. However, they are listed in the prefs file. Maybe I can grab them from there.

"Less verbose" means no "skipped" messages. The protocol only lists files that were added to the backup (or restored).

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:15 pm

old_man_biking wrote:...There's no SportTracks API method to retrieve a list of all known logbooks. However, they are listed in the prefs file. Maybe I can grab them from there...

Preferences.System.xml has a list of all logbooks ever opened for whatever reason. This includes one OMBDemo.logbook:P and any <user>'s History~backup-yymmdd.logbook ever opened and any junk-test-around logbooks.
So I think if you use the Prefs file list you will need to have a logbook selection list box.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby DavidCHall » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:37 am

Having installed this plugin ST now opens to the plugin page: Is this intended? {In which case could it rather be optional please}

BTW: I would rather ST opened to the Daily Activity view, with Activity Documentation: My understanding was this could not be done?
DavidCHall
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:31 am

it will do this exactly twice - had a few VERY novice users recently who would never find this page otherwise :)
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Released a new beta version of the Backup Plugin

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:52 am

Download link:

Several new features:
* NEW: can now add arbitrary files to the backup (e.g. other logbooks)
* NEW: can now automatically delete backup files that are older than a configurable time span
* NEW: progress bars for save and restore
* NEW: restore of backup files in Windows Explorer
* NEW: plugin home page and online manual

There's a plugin homepage and online manual now:
http://www.sporttracks-plugins.com/Spor ... anual.html

The functionality is now very close to what I would think is sufficient.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Every time I close ST after making changes to the logbook (and even when I don't make changes sometimes), I get this message:

Here are my settings details:

Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:29 am

Anyone else with a similar problem?

This message is shown, when a backup is created automatically upon shutdown of SportTracks. The "Create backup" action checks if the logbook is marked as "modified" in order to avoid backing up an outdated version of the logbook.

NORMALLY ST should have saved the logbook (which is then marked as non-modified) BEFORE the plugin auto-backups when ST is closed.
I suspect that a plugin might be "guilty" of your problem by writing to the logbook after it has been saved (e.g. in the IPlugin.Application setter or IPlugin.WriteOptions.

I will however change the plugin behaviour so that the backup will be created anyway and this message will be just a warning.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Sporttracks crasshes when trying to make a backup

Postby wgeerts » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:57 pm

When starting a full backup Sporttrack always crasshes
wgeerts
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:09 pm

Silently or with an error message?
What Windows version?

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby hccomp33 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:32 pm

Hello,
I have allways an error:
ERROR: Impossible de trouver le fichier 'C:\Users\Hugues\AppData\Local\Temp\OMB.reg'.
I have Windows 7 64b.
So backup don't apply.

Any idea?
French, Garmin FR 910XT, Running Cycling
hccomp33
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:57 am

Salut hccomp33,

hhm, this might be the error that I somewhat expected for Vista (and W'7) (see bottom of http://www.sporttracks-plugins.com/Spor ... story.html ). I'll have to have a look on my testing machine.

Cheers,
OMB

PS: This message might be annoying, but it's absolutely harmless :)
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Sporttracks crasshes when trying to make a backup

Postby wgeerts » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:39 pm

It was on a windows xp
Just a general error

BTW it seems to work now
verry strange
wgeerts
Donated!
Donated!

Postby BerGus » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:28 am

Same problem as 'wgeerts'. ST immediatly crashes when trying to take my first BackUp. Using W7-64
BerGus
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:41 am

Does it crash without any error messages??

If there are any error messages, please post.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

SportTrack crashes when using Backup

Postby monteverde8 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:34 pm

I am also using W7-64bit and as soon as initiate a backup, a Windows message appears indicating SportTracks has stop working and that Windows is looking for a solution to the problem.
monteverde8

Postby spruitp » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:42 am

I get the message
Cauhgt an unexpected exeption
the entry%arbitrarypath%/D/Peter'sGeschiedenis~backup090617.logbook already exists in the zip archive.
bij inonic.zip.zipfile.insureUniqueEntry etc.
I have Windows 7 and it crashes my ST :?:
spruitp
Donated!
Donated!

Crash attempting manual Full Backup

Postby ToeJammer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:59 pm

Same issue as above with XP SP3. Fails silently? Then offers to send info to Microsoft. However now that I have opened, failed several times it is working okay. No other changes, just crashed maybe three times, then next time worked okay. I do think the first time I looked it also gave me a warning this version had expired on 1/1/0001. I just downloaded it 10 minutes ago...
Also small point when trying to set up the directory to save backups to. If you click on the folder icon after the path window you get a window (Titled Sport Tracks)that you cannot pick a directory from.... but if you click in the directory path window then you get a window (Titled Browse for Folder) you CAN pick the path from. (That make sense?) Anyway, now everything is working okay, but the first several attempts left me wondering what was going on.
ToeJammer
Donated!
Donated!

Backup Plugin - Path does not exist warnings - concern?

Postby ToeJammer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Another question:
All the "Path does not exist" warnings... does this means those items are not being backed up?

-------------------------
%ImportedImages% ("C:\Documents and Settings\George\Local Settings\Application Data\ZoneFiveSoftware\SportTracks\2.0\ImportedImages"): path does not exist

adding C:\Documents and Settings\George\Local Settings\Application Data\ZoneFiveSoftware\SportTracks\2.0\Plugins\FTPPlugin\de\FTPPlugin.resources.dll...
%BBBS_Year_ViewData% ("C:\Documents and Settings\George\Application Data\BBBS_Year_View"): path does not exist
%HighScorePluginData% ("C:\Documents and Settings\George\Application Data\HighScorePlugin"): path does not exist
%OverlayPluginData% ("C:\Documents and Settings\George\Application Data\OverlayPlugin"): path does not exist
%PerformancePredictorPluginData% ("C:\Documents and Settings\George\Application Data\PerformancePredictorPlugin", 1 File(s)):
adding C:\Documents and Settings\George\Application Data\PerformancePredictorPlugin\preferences.xml...
%SportTracksExportToCsvPluginData% ("C:\Documents and Settings\George\Application Data\SportTracksExportToCsvPlugin"): path does not exist
%TRIMPPluginData% ("C:\Documents and Settings\George\Application Data\TRIMPPlugin", 1 File(s)):
adding C:\Documents and Settings\George\Application Data\TRIMPPlugin\preferences.xml...
%UniqueRoutesPluginData% ("C:\Documents and Settings\George\Application Data\UniqueRoutesPlugin", 1 File(s)):
adding C:\Documents and Settings\George\Application Data\UniqueRoutesPlugin\preferences.xml...
%WhereInWorldData% ("C:\Documents and Settings\George\Application Data\WhereInWorld"): path does not exist
%MatrixPluginData% ("C:\Documents and Settings\George\Application Data\SportTracks\MatrixPlugIn"): path does not exist
-------------------------

It may be that I do not really use these plugins so there is no data?
ToeJammer
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:20 am

Hi folks,

regarding all those problems with W'7:
I have a first clue and will send out a new beta to a beta tester to see if my fix helps.

If anyone else would like to check if this new beta helps him/her, please send me a pm with your email address and I'll send you the beta as well.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby spruitp » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:39 pm

I have unistalled the appilcation yesterday after teh erroor massage. But when i start my DT the backup plugin is still there. In task manger start programmes it not vissibel any more. Any suggestions? If it works again i will test it. But for now i'll be waiting. :?:
spruitp
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:53 pm

Sorry, but I don't understand your post.
What exactly did you uninstall, what is "my DT" and what do you mean with "still there"?
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby dirk66 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:12 pm

spruitp wrote:I have unistalled the appilcation yesterday after teh erroor massage. But when i start my DT the backup plugin is still there. In task manger start programmes it not vissibel any more. Any suggestions? If it works again i will test it. But for now i'll be waiting. :?:

Spruitp

If you want to uninstall the plugin, then use that feature of the plugin. In the windows program menu search for the old man biking menu item.

succes.
dirk66
Donated!
Donated!

Next

Return to Backup