by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,496 (10) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Apr 28, 2018

How to restore on new computer?

How to restore on new computer?

Postby Candive » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:38 pm

I bought a second computer with Windows 7. SportTracks was installed on my old Vista machine. I want to move everything onto the new machine so I installed ST on the new machine and all the relevant plugins. I then copied my log file to the new machine. Everything worked but my preferences didn't copy over. For example, my colour preferences in ACalendar as well as my weather stations for my OMB weather plugin were not captured in the log file. That meant I would have to reestablish all my system and plugin preferences on the new computer. :(

So I decided to purchase OMB's back up program assuming the program would capture the log book as well as any additional files and preference tables related to ST and installed plugins. :) I installed and activated the back up program on the Vista machine and the Windows 7 machine. I made a full back up on Vista machine. Copied the file to my Windows 7 machine and reinstalled. But it only updated 25 items and none of my preferences changed to those on my Vista machine. I was in the same situation! :cry:

So I renamed my log book and created a new logbook and reloaded the backup. It was the same result. It appears that if a preference is already established, the backup program won't replace it with the backup version.

Where did I go wrong in the process? :?
Candive

Re: How to restore on new computer?

Postby texmurphy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:02 am

Preferences.System.xml can be found here (win 7) C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ZoneFiveSoftware\SportTracks\3
You should be able to find it on Vista and then copy it to your new machine into that directory. (Rename/Save on new machine before copy replace is a good idea.)
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Re: How to restore on new computer?

Postby Candive » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks Texmurphy,
You are absolutely correct. But if I have to fish around for preference files after restoring a OMB backup then what is the point of having this plugin? After a bit more investigation, with my wife yelling in the background, what the hell am I doing so long on the computer; why not go out and mow the lawn!, I discovered that restoring a backup from within SportTracks will limit the number of files restored since the system is actually using these same files. Duh! :oops: What needs to be done is to go into the Plugin settings and install the Add "Restore from backup" command to the Windows Explorer context menu. Then close SportTracks, find the back up file, right click on it and "Restore from backup." Hit the Restore button and viola; the system is restored with backed up user preferences. :)
Candive

Return to Backup