by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,496 (10) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Apr 28, 2018

Exception saving to network with Backup plugin 3.0.4774

Exception saving to network with Backup plugin 3.0.4774

Postby xtremecool » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:15 pm

I just managed to cause an exception to be raised when the Backup plugin tried to backup to my NAS.

backup_exception.png
backup_exception.png (29.62 KiB) Viewed 3924 times

I shutdown SportTracks and virtually straight away I hit the sleep button on my PC. I think I may have caused the PC to sleep part way through the backup plugin saving to the network.

When my PC wakes there is sometimes a short delay before the network, and therefore the NAS, become available.

I think this short delay in network availability and the plugin having not completed its action caused this file IO exception, when I next woke my PC up.

Maybe there is a need for a exception handler to wrap all file IO operations, so that stupid actions, like sleeping before the backup plugin has finished :oops:, don't cause this exception. That is if one isn't already there. :)
xtremecool

Re: Exception saving to network with Backup plugin 3.0.4774

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:41 am

Hhm, following your suggestion sounds like a headache :)
Besides there are other considerations: what if the backup device is a removable disk and the user has unplugged it, before waking up the PC/notebook.

I always prefer not to fiddle with problematic situations but prevent to let them arise.
In "your" case the root cause is that the PC went to sleep when it should not do so.
I see if I can set up a solution where Backup Plugin prevents the PC from going to sleep while a backup is being carried out.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby xtremecool » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:13 am

OK no problem.

I now know not to sleep my PC until ST & the backup plugin have closed. That stops the problem from happening. :)
xtremecool

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:35 am

And the next plugin version won't even LET you sleep your PC until then :lol:
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Backup