Downloads: 1,496 (10) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Apr 28, 2018

Backup Plugin Reeaalllyy Slow

Backup Plugin Reeaalllyy Slow

Postby Angela » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:29 pm

Hi OMB,

I recently got the update to the latest version of the Backup Plugin (dated 26 Jan 2013)

Now when I close SportTracks, the 'Creating Backup' message no longer shows, my differential backups don't generate, and SportTracks remains active even though the front-end is closed (it's still open in Windows Task Manager)

This happens no matter what view I was in or what I was doing before closing, same problem.

At first I thought it was frozen, but just a few minutes ago I decided to let it keep running and see if it would eventually respond: Yay, it did!! After 3 minutes of seeming inactivity (I timed it) I get the little Windows 'ping' sound, the popup message and my differential backup files are generating.

What could be causing it to run so slowly?? Is anyone else experiencing the same?

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Latest version of SportTracks 3 (updated 31 Jan 2013)
Latest Backup Plugin (also updated on 31 Jan 2013)
Latest Garmin Communicator Plugin on my system (I'm using a Forerunner 305)
Any other details you need to test/debug/reproduce my issue?

Thanks!!
And thanks for all the wonderful plugins you've made - I use a number of them, and love 'em all!
Angela
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Backup Plugin Reeaalllyy Slow

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:33 am

Hhm, 3 minutes is TERRIBLY long, that would be well enough to wipe your hard disk :evil:
I assume that a rather large file has found it's way into the set of files that are backed up.
Please check if the backup file sizes have recently increased substantially.
For a detail check, rename the backup file to extension ".zip" and open it in Windows Explorer to browse its contents.

And I just found out that the (max.) ZIP compression level that the plugin applies, can be rather slow. I'll revise that.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:12 am

old_man_biking wrote:...And I just found out that the (max.) ZIP compression level that the plugin applies, can be rather slow. I'll revise that.

Will this be an option - to select compression level?
I would be willing to sacrifice time to gain compression. So for some users a faster backup and for others smaller output.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:00 pm

Yes.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:04 pm

You are a gentleman to incorporate this option, but for me the whole difference between Best Speed and Best Compression is not more than 3% of the size.
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Return to Backup