by mechgt

Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

Training Load Plugin

Postby HENNES » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:58 am

I hardly understand anything here, but it looks interesting. :evil:

So what to read, where to go as a runner to learn more about CTL, ATL and TSB, please
rgds hennes
- kickbiking with FR 305 and STs 3

runner´s map ... EURE Karte für Laufveranstaltungen - zum MITMACHEN!!!
http://www.runnersmap.info
...mehr als DREI TAUSEND Laufveranstaltungen!
HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Postby IanPV » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:29 am

The answer to your zone-question can be found on page 1 of this thread. It goes like this:
Check your SingleZone setting. That'll dictate which zone factors are used for the calculation:
- SingleZone checked: then all TRIMP values will be calculated using the selected zone (and the other zones will not be used).
- SingleZone NOT checked: TRIMP calculations will be based on the HR zone factors that the activity is assigned to (Running activities will use the Running factors, Cycling activities -> Cycling factors)

Maximum heart rate is taken from the athlete info. Just fill it in somewhere in the past and control is yours!

Switch

Thanks Switch, I'm new to sporttracks, and didn't understand how to set up specific zones for different activities :oops: . All fixed & working now!

Ian
IanPV
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:15 am

HENNES wrote:I hardly understand anything here, but it looks interesting. :evil:

So what to read, where to go as a runner to learn more about CTL, ATL and TSB, please

This plugin and these theories are not biased toward running, cycling, or any other specific sport. They are however specific to endurance sports, (and do not apply to sports like weightlifting) so whatever you read should apply to running, cycling, and any other endurance sport.

I thought this was a pretty good sites explaining things:
Part 1: Pretty Graphs
http://ianbarrington.wordpress.com/2007 ... ty-graphs/

Part 2: ATL, CTL & TSB explained
http://ianbarrington.wordpress.com/2007 ... explained/

More technical reference documents: (these are both super-excellent documents!!!)
Optimizing athletic performance by influence curves

Modeling human performance in running

Brief Basics:
TrImp and TSS: Training Impulse and Training Stress Score
I used these interchangably when creating the plugin. This is a number of arbitrary units representing an intensity score for an activity. This score is based on time spent in various heart rate zones. The higher your heart rate, the more 'points' you get for it. A 1 hour activity with a generally low heart rate will give you a lower TrImp score than a 1 hour activity with a generally high heart rate (which would be a more intense activity.)

TrImp specifically refers to the heart rate method of scoring, whereas I think of TSS as more general term, some people use a power calculation to score for instance.

CTL: Chronic Training Load
Calculated as something similar to a long term moving average of your TrImp scores. The recommended time constant for this is around 45 days (can be set on the settings page). This is often referred to as your 'fitness'. You have to work harder and longer to move this number, because it moves slower, but as it creeps up, it represents your improved conditioning.

ATL: Acute Training Load
Similar to a short term moving average of your TrImp scores. The recommended time constant for this is around 15 days (which is different from the default when this plugin was initially released!) This is often referred to as your 'fatigue'. As you train, you need to recover. A high ATL indicates a lot of recent training, and may indicate a need for some recovery.

TSB: Training Stress Balance
This is simply CTL - ATL. This is often referred to as your 'performance'. The more positive this number, the better trained and well rested you are. A high TSB is what you want just prior to race day. As you rest, ATL (fatigue) decays quickly, and CTL (fitness) decays slowly - makes sense, right? So, TSB will generally start to climb and will eventually peak and then begin to fall. Turn on the 'Forecast' checkbox setting and your TSB chartline to see this. Training Load predicts - or 'Forecasts' - 1 week past when TSB peaks.

Influence Chart and Target Date:
This is not covered in the above websites. It is from a study cited earlier in this thread.
First off, set an upcoming race day by selecting race day on the calender, then clicking Set Target Date under Tasks, then show the Influence chart. This chart shows how positively impactful training is for your upcoming race. On the dates where it peaks, it'll have the most impact on giving you a positive TSB on race day - if you can only train 1 day for a race, this is the day to train. Where it goes negative (this is theory now), you are contributing more to fatigue than you are fitness, so it will bring your TSB down. A strict adherence to this theory would be that you quit cold-turkey all training at this point, or maybe just recovery level activities (nothing intense). The date seems too early, but the research (and my personal experience to a limited extense) indicated this is not the case.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby HENNES » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:34 am

mechgt wrote:........loads of infos..........
:lol:

Thanks very much!

Will be back in few weeks, when I studied all this and might even have understood it. :)
rgds hennes

HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:03 am

Hi Hennes,

could you do us a favour (because you are
able to show us so nice screenshots),display Traininload charts
for 2008 and write 5 running times from
same routes with your HR average onto
the corresponding dates in the chart.
We all could see if your best time would
match with your highest CTL. So we could
see if it works for running or not.

If you just read the brief basics you be
able to read the charts and keep in mind
that mechgt had studied it for us 8)
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby fishyweb » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:28 am

mechgt wrote:Brief Basics:
TrImp and TSS: Training Impulse and Training Stress Score
I used these interchangably when creating the plugin. This is a number of arbitrary units representing an intensity score for an activity. This score is based on time spent in various heart rate zones. The higher your heart rate, the more 'points' you get for it. A 1 hour activity with a generally low heart rate will give you a lower TrImp score than a 1 hour activity with a generally high heart rate (which would be a more intense activity.)

TrImp specifically refers to the heart rate method of scoring, whereas I think of TSS as more general term, some people use a power calculation to score for instance.

CTL: Chronic Training Load
Calculated as something similar to a long term moving average of your TrImp scores. The recommended time constant for this is around 45 days (can be set on the settings page). This is often referred to as your 'fitness'. You have to work harder and longer to move this number, because it moves slower, but as it creeps up, it represents your improved conditioning.

ATL: Acute Training Load
Similar to a short term moving average of your TrImp scores. The recommended time constant for this is around 15 days (which is different from the default when this plugin was initially released!) This is often referred to as your 'fatigue'. As you train, you need to recover. A high ATL indicates a lot of recent training, and may indicate a need for some recovery.

TSB: Training Stress Balance
This is simply CTL - ATL. This is often referred to as your 'performance'. The more positive this number, the better trained and well rested you are. A high TSB is what you want just prior to race day. As you rest, ATL (fatigue) decays quickly, and CTL (fitness) decays slowly - makes sense, right? So, TSB will generally start to climb and will eventually peak and then begin to fall. Turn on the 'Forecast' checkbox setting and your TSB chartline to see this. Training Load predicts - or 'Forecasts' - 1 week past when TSB peaks.

Influence Chart and Target Date:
This is not covered in the above websites. It is from a study cited earlier in this thread.
First off, set an upcoming race day by selecting race day on the calender, then clicking Set Target Date under Tasks, then show the Influence chart. This chart shows how positively impactful training is for your upcoming race. On the dates where it peaks, it'll have the most impact on giving you a positive TSB on race day - if you can only train 1 day for a race, this is the day to train. Where it goes negative (this is theory now), you are contributing more to fatigue than you are fitness, so it will bring your TSB down. A strict adherence to this theory would be that you quit cold-turkey all training at this point, or maybe just recovery level activities (nothing intense). The date seems too early, but the research (and my personal experience to a limited extense) indicated this is not the case.

It would be rather excellent if these explanations could be made available within ST somehow - maybe as a tooltip, or some other popup help page accessible from the training load view? :D

Maybe this has been done already, but I just have not noticed! :shock:
Steve
Using Garmin FR 230 for running, and Garmin Edge 820 (with cad, power and HR) for cycling
fishyweb
Donated!
Donated!

Postby HENNES » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:43 am

Stumpjumper68 wrote:because you are
able to show us so nice screenshots),

Everybody can do that within 1 minute:

- go to http://666kb.com/ (or any similar upload service)
- upload the pic
- copy the code of the lower row into this message
- done!

Besides that I wouldnt know what to do, install, hot to use, configure, setup, where to look etc.....
rgds hennes

HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Some basic german...

Postby Switch » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:58 am

HENNES wrote:Besides that I wouldnt know what to do, install, hot to use, configure, setup, where to look etc.....

Hello Hennes

I guess you are familiar with the expression "probieren geht über studieren", which is kind of comparable to "just do it".

Just download and install the plugin and have a look at it (without even touching the settings at first). Then see what happens to ATL / CTL and TSB over the next few days as you enter your activities.

Good luck!
Switch
Switch
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gerhard » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:01 am

HENNES wrote:
Stumpjumper68 wrote:because you are
able to show us so nice screenshots),

Everybody can do that within 1 minute:

More details in the FAQ:
http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTr ... 3972#20861
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby Switch » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:18 am

Stumpjumper68 wrote:We all could see if your best time would match with your highest CTL. So we could
see if it works for running or not.

A high CTL only means that you have been training a lot, it does not necessarily mean you will run fast. For that, you should better look at a high TSB. This means you have been training a lot AND have recovered from your training.
Switch
Donated!
Donated!

Postby HENNES » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:54 pm

Ok, maybe Im doing sth wrong now, but just to get the ball rolling for RUNNERS:

I use 1.2.0 - if its necessary that I install 1.2.2 please tell me how to do correctly! Ive downloaded the zip already.

Here are my current settings - please tell me what to change, adjust or know about that :lol:

Here is a chart - with obviously too much info - just tell me what I need to get rid off and what else to do - so we can disuss this further here - if anybody wants this!

Maybe its interesting for being a case study: its all running, most times 4 times a week total of 3470km in 2008.

Target Date: Feb. 1 - Im running a Halfmarathon, which is obviously very early in the season and just a little step to my next marathon on april 5th.

BTW: I do put some future runs into the "daily activity" for next weeks, but thats only KM and no other data as Im just planin the weekly KMs to be in line with my plan. Just to make sure, that this does not disturb here?

@mechgt, if this is somehow interesting for testing or whatever, I can send you my logbook if you want
rgds hennes

HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:53 pm

Hi Hennes,

here you can find my setting page.

Just klick on standard and than klick on Faktor.
You should see your HR setting and you should be able
to set the factor. I took the original Trimp factors
from the Trimp plugin, I don't know if it makes sense
to set your own factors.That's it. Just so easy like
to post an image :lol: (many thanks for your explanation)

Switch wrote:

A high CTL only means that you have been training a lot, it does not necessarily mean you will run fast. For that, you should better look at a high TSB. This means you have been training a lot AND have recovered from your training.

Yes it's right not only a high CTL speeds you up.
You also have to take the right recovery days for
which exactly this plugin provides the info.

I've added CTL,ATL,TSB and Influence to the chart.
If you go over the scales you can moves them.I've
set a similar target like you, you can see on the
orange part of the chart till which date you gain
the most out of your training. To peak on your target
date you can see there as well when you need to taper
before your race.

You can see as well in the table that I use it for
several categories.I've put in as well zero workouts
for my recovery days (shame on me as well for my
"Schweinehund"(missed workouts) days)to see the influence each day.

As switch wrote just play with it I'm sure you will
like it earlier or maybe later.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Switch » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:58 pm

HENNES wrote:I use 1.2.0 - if its necessary that I install 1.2.2 please tell me how to do correctly! Ive downloaded the zip already.]

1.2.2 has some major changes, so yes, 1.2.2 is necessary. Go to the settings page, select "Plugins", select "Training Load" and click on "install Update". After re-starting ST you should have 1.2.2 installed. If not, unzip the zip-file to the ST Plugin directory (probably something like .../program files/sport tracks 2.0/plugins)

HENNES wrote:Here are my current settings - please tell me what to change, adjust or know about that

Take out the checkmark for "Einzelzone". This will cause the plugin to use your ST HR Zones.

HENNES wrote:Here is a chart - with obviously too much info - just tell me what I need to get rid off and what else to do

Installing 1.2.2 has automaticaly reduced the timeframe shown on the chart to the last 4 months, so the chart should look much better already.
Change the list so it shows CTL and ATL as well. I prefer to display TSB (Before) - CTL - ATL - TRIMP - TSB (After). Take out Normalised Energy.

HENNES wrote:Target Date: Feb. 1 - Im running a Halfmarathon, which is obviously very early in the season and just a little step to my next marathon on april 5th.

Max. Training Effect for your Feb. 1 Halfmarathon was on 2. Jan. which shows a niche high TRIMP of 230, so well done!

HENNES wrote:BTW: I do put some future runs into the "daily activity" for next weeks, but thats only KM and no other data as Im just planin the weekly KMs to be in line with my plan. Just to make sure, that this does not disturb here?

No, no influence at all until you enter a duration and an average heart rate (basis for TRIMP calculation).

Did you run the same marathon last year? Have a look at your graph and notice how high your CTL (fitness level) was in March 08, how tired you were (ATL = fatigue) and how high your TSB was in May! So I guess you should actually have run that marathon in May...

By the way, congratulations on the weight loss :evil:

Switch
Switch
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:33 pm

Hi all! I've added 2 new languages: Dutch & Norwegian

Re-download the current version if these are of interest to you. Thanks to the volunteers who added these languages!
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Switch » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:36 am

Stumpjumper68 wrote:here you can find my setting page.

Notice the difference in the settings for the "Zeitkonstanten" ATL (7 - 11) and CTL (42 - 45). A lower ATL setting means you expect to recover faster. A lower CTL setting means you expect the training influence to wear of sooner. I do not think that there is only one "truth" for these settings.
Switch
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:51 am

Switch wrote:
Stumpjumper68 wrote:here you can find my setting page.

Notice the difference in the settings for the "Zeitkonstanten" ATL (7 - 11) and CTL (42 - 45). A lower ATL setting means you expect to recover faster. A lower CTL setting means you expect the training influence to wear of sooner. I do not think that there is only one "truth" for these settings.

Excellent point. These settings are athlete specific. The reference document Modeling human performance in running gives initial suggestions for these time constants (CTL = 45, & ATL = 15), but by doing a series of tests (and some fancy regression math on the test results) you can tune your constants. Changing these constants will change when your TSB (performance indicator) will peak, and generally how it behaves, and will also change the Influence chartline indicating when to train and when to taper.

See page 5 for a writeup on their experiments, which I've provided the readers digest version for below.

This is the next big step here... I've not been able to figure out how to implement this (into the plugin) and I'm not sure how structured the testing needs to be to make it practical for users either.

Basically the authors trained consistently for a period of time, and then stopped training altogether and only did what they called 'criterion tests' which was similar to a short time trial race effort several times a week. This race effort was to indicate their performance (and it was fairly short so as to not wear them out for future tests). So if the model holds true, their performance on these identical tests will follow their TSB (performance) line. They take the test results and do a regression analysis to tune their time constants to make TSB profile fit their test performance.

Switch wrote:...settings for the "Zeitkonstanten" ATL (7 - 11) and CTL (42 - 45).

These authors' (42 & 57 yr. old males, one being an avid jogger) test results returned time constants for ATL = 11 (both), and CTL = 40 - younger non-jogger; & 50 - older jogger. Switch's lower ATL values might be appropriate for many of us.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:06 am

NOTE: There are two additional variables - k1 & k2 - in the reference docs' calculations. I haven't figured out how they matter yet, so everyone gets the default right now of k1=1 and k2=2. (I'm not really even sure I'm using them anywhere right now.) Let me know if anyone has a good explanation of these. They seem like scaling factors, and that I just don't need them, but I may be wrong about this.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby TX911 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:42 am

mechgt wrote:NOTE: There are two additional variables - k1 & k2 - in the reference docs' calculations. I haven't figured out how they matter yet, so everyone gets the default right now of k1=1 and k2=2. (I'm not really even sure I'm using them anywhere right now.) Let me know if anyone has a good explanation of these. They seem like scaling factors, and that I just don't need them, but I may be wrong about this.

Looking at the article, it sounds like k1 & k2 are constants that weight the relative importance of fatigue vs. fitness in an individual. For example, two athletes may have the same fatigue 'value', but the level of fatigue may be more important in determining overall performance in one than the other (I assume due to a number of intangible factors).

These would be different for every person, and I don't think there would be any way to know them without rigorous performance experimentation, so I think what you done is fine in leaving them at 1 and 2 (don't get rid of them).

By the way, thanks for this fantastic plug-in :!:
TX911
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:46 am

Thanks mechgt and switch.Good to know
how the different settings changes the outcome.

I've compared some different settings and
will stay with 42/7 for now because if I
change ATL to 11 my taper date begins 10
days before my target date, which is too
much time to do nothing (or less) in my opinion. Or even an ATL of 15 takes you
16 days on the couch :lol:

But yes it's athlete specific above are just my findings.Lets see how it works
fo a season.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:57 am

Stumpjumper68 wrote:Thanks mechgt and switch.Good to know
how the different settings changes the outcome.

I've compared some different settings and
will stay with 42/7 for now because if I
change ATL to 11 my taper date begins 10
days before my target date, which is too
much time to do nothing (or less) in my opinion. Or even an ATL of 15 takes you
16 days on the couch :lol:

But yes it's athlete specific above are just my findings.Lets see how it works
fo a season.

This is the exact point made in the article, where intuition clashes with science. Athletes and coaches in general feel like this is too far back to taper; we're agressive and have this need to work harder, you can't win a race by sitting on the couch right? But, the writeup has different findings through controlled experimentation showing that physiologically the extra time is beneficial.

This is only 1 (or 2 really) experiments, but as an engineer, I have good faith in numbers and experimentation.

Long story short, don't set your values to retro-fit your taper date. If you can't sit still that long (perfectly understandable), then don't adhere to the taper date, but you want the data to be as accurate as possible.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Switch » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:05 am

Taper does not equal couch!

Here is what Wikipedia has to say about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapering_(sports).

Sorry mechgt, but this brings up the issue of setting the tapering date. According to the Wiki-info, the tapering date depends on the type of sports you are tapering for.

What is your opinion on that?
The plugin can do it, all one needs to do is adjust the ATL Setting.
Switch
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ildibad » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:09 pm

I have found that it is possible to copy an event and to assign a new date;
(edit activity -> copy ; then change date)
this copy the complete data of the event and therefore trimp basis as well.

This basic feature of ST should help to plan the training perid.
Unfortunately training load plugin doesn't display event in the future.
Could it be possible to modify that characteristic ?
A perfect option should be a modified color for the fure events
Running with :
acics kayano 18 - Sports tracker pro (android) - polar wearlink bluetooth
my dog : Ithaq (border collee) (Shimly - a happy mixing - retired in 2012)
ildibad
Donated!
Donated!

Postby HENNES » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:56 pm

Thanks for all the input. This is a bit learning by doing, so I hope I applied all suggestings from above and post the results.

Did you run the same marathon last year?

No, last year it was Duesseldorf in the beginning of May! This year I will run Duesseldorf aswell, but just as pacemaker - so basicly for fun as I will try for a new PB 4 weeks earlier in Rotterdam on april 5th as its hopefully cooler there. :evil:

Have a look at your graph and notice how high your CTL (fitness level) was in March 08, how tired you were (ATL = fatigue) and how high your TSB was in May! So I guess you should actually have run that marathon in May...

spot on!

But its probably more interesting with the correct settings Ive hopefully applied now.

I hope this is interesting to others - or just tell me to stop, please!

MY HFmax is 187 and my TRIMP page looks like this:

For the records: I fiddled a bit with my heartratecategories, but i just follow a training plan for marathon running which sets distance and speed and that results in BPM and whatever.

Looking at the new current picture:

Looking at the past: what is your comment for the outcome of the marathon in beginning of may (may 2nd?) ? More Tapering, less tapering, earlier/later? Does this look right or whats wrong?

THANKS!
rgds hennes

HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Postby trell » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:09 pm

Probably i am missing something..How set up the start date? I can always see all my history, but i desire see only for ex from 01/01/09 :roll:
trell

Postby Switch » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:38 pm

HENNES wrote:spot on!

Well, almost! End of May your TSB was even higher. In other words, more tapering. This should be reflected by changing your ATL setting from 11 to something like 14, 15, 16.

HENNES wrote:But its probably more interesting with the correct settings Ive hopefully applied now.

I do not understand why you have different settings for TRIMP and for your ST Standard HR zones? I suggest you adapt your ST HR settings to match your TRIMP settings. Your current ST Standard HR zones are too "flat" in my opinion.
Switch
Donated!
Donated!

PreviousNext

Return to Training Load