Training Load

by mechgt

Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

Training Load Plugin

Postby mechgt » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:26 pm

Switch wrote:...4 months gives a good overview (unfortunately, because it shows my CTL has halved :( ).

You and me both my friend, you and me both.
Switch wrote:It does remember the columns, but not the column width. It is a minor detail, but would be nice to have.

I'll put the column widths in my mental queue. Maybe that'll be in a future release.
Switch wrote:I really have to say that thanks to this plugin, I finally know why I have been collecting my training data 8).
Switch

Thanks for the positive feedback! Always good to hear that this is useful to people.
gerhard wrote:Colours: Training Influence graph and scale do not match.
Not yet changed... (I will not mention this again, it is not important!)

You caught me. For anyone interested in this fix, re-download v1.2.1. The color of the Influence axis is the only thing that was touched.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:38 pm

mechgt wrote:
Switch wrote:It does remember the columns, but not the column width. It is a minor detail, but would be nice to have.

I'll put the column widths in my mental queue. Maybe that'll be in a future release.

I was thinking... I set the default column widths to match my data, and some of them I probably just threw something in there. Do you have any issues with specific column widths that might apply to everyone? Like if a particular column is too narrow by default (or too fat), and the default size is just plain wrong. This would be super easy to change if you had something specific.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby foiled » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:18 pm

Just a comparison between mechgt's plugin and WKO+

foiled
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ildibad » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:51 am

very similar - almost identical.

TSB is narrower in the training load plugin because you didn't double click on its scale and therefore the scale has not been adjusted to the window.
Running with :
acics kayano 18 - Sports tracker pro (android) - polar wearlink bluetooth
my dog : Ithaq (border collee) (Shimly - a happy mixing - retired in 2012)
ildibad
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Switch » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:20 pm

mechgt wrote:Do you have any issues with specific column widths that might apply to everyone? Like if a particular column is too narrow by default (or too fat), and the default size is just plain wrong. This would be super easy to change if you had something specific.

I have the following issues:
- CTL / ATL / TRIMP / TSB (after): too fat. Suggestion: same width for all these as "TSB (before)" with the width determined by the label "TSB (before)"
- Distance (kilometer): the label is displayed over three lines. Suggestion: change label text to "Distance (km)" or increase the width of the column so the label fits on two lines
- Avg. HR: too narrow. HR is displayed including percentage and not everything is displayed. Suggestion: increase the column width

How is that for specific? :wink:

Switch
Switch
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:38 pm

mechgt wrote:Do you have any issues with specific column widths that might apply to everyone? Like if a particular column is too narrow by default (or too fat), and the default size is just plain wrong. This would be super easy to change if you had something specific.

* Normalized Power (watts) -> NP(Watts) Power does not need much more than 4 columns.

* Time Time needs only room for HH:MM:SS

* Avg speed (mph/kmh) should have its label on 3 rows and only needs XXX.X spaces

* Avg cadence needs XXX.X spaces

* Ascending (units) and Descending (units) need only XXXXX.X spaces.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Love training load plug-in

Postby hegstrom » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:51 pm

philipshambrook wrote:This really is an awesome plugin. I'm planning to use it to gauge the taper for the next big event in january and see how it goes. A bit more of a scientific approach.

I'm in week 5 of a 12 week marathon training plan and have been using the awesome training load plug-in in conjunction with a SmartCoach training plan created at runnersworld.com.

Training load helped me to see that adding multiple running hill routes per week was necessary to improve fitness. Last fall I used the SmartCoach program and struggled with the pace goals without understanding why I wasn't improving my performance.

Last night I set another personal record on my 6.5 mile hill route, shaving 13 seconds per mile from my previous best pace. The fitness analysis in Training Load is really working for me.

Like a previous poster, now I know why I've been collecting data for nearly two years.

Hoping to come in below 4:00 in the Austin marathon in February.

Thanks for making this plug-in available.
John Hegstrom
Pleasanton, CA
Garmin ForeRunner 305
hegstrom
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:51 pm

New release of TL just released. Changes listed below for Training Load v1.2.2:

Changes:
- Bugfix on swapping logbooks
- Selecting a single day/activity on the charts will also select that activity when switching views
- More localization
- AvgHR sort bugfix
- Changed distance units to 'km' in columns
- Column widths
- Column localization bugfix
- Fixed default zoom for logbooks with < 4 months of data
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:17 pm

Hi mechgt,

would be great if you could post a download link if you announce a new release till the great plugin is
not officially released on the download page. I'm
sure this would result in more downloads.

Because I love this plugin I need to test it now bye
Stumpjumper68
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:28 pm

Link is on first page of this thread see here
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Localization

Postby mechgt » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:40 am

So I've been wanting to add more languages (and get any corrections for the two I already have.) I used Google Translate for several new features, and am hoping that they turned out alright, but I can't say for sure.

Anyway, I've published an online spreadsheet. If you can help out, just go and fill in the blanks (or make corrections) for your language (add a new column for new languages) on the spreadsheet below.

http://www.editgrid.com/user/mechgt/Tra ... calization

EDIT: If you make corrections, please highlight them with your favorite color (I'll un-highlight them as the correction is made.)
Last edited by mechgt on Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Localization

Postby gerhard » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:14 pm

mechgt wrote:So I've been wanting to add more languages

Good. SW should be translated (even if I often use English for convenience...)
I will translate to Swedish. I have not seen the concepts translated before, so I will have to consider the translations a little.

However, I have a comment: Some of the strings to translate is available in ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Visuals.CommonResources.Text
(for example Category: LabelCategory<->SettingsCategory)
The ST labels are used in most situations in the Training Load View, it is more or less only in Settings that there are duplicate labels. I added a column for labels where I believe ST labels are applicable.
The core ST labels should add a few of these like "Activities" and "Activity Date".

Explanation in Settings has no text - I added that (no label of course). That should probably be tool tips instead.

I miss a tooltip for setting target date - several users have had a problem with that.

Nitty picky: For displaying zones in Settings, it would be easier to use the same concept that ST uses
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby HENNES » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:18 pm

gerhard wrote:However, I have a comment: Some of the strings to translate is available in ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Visuals.CommonResources.Text

Ahhhh interesting, thanks!

I been waiting/looking for that as Im about to translate the "Garmin Fitness" plugin into german and realized that some of the "terminology" must have been used in the original translation from STs into several languages. So is that the "master-place" to look for or are their better sources?

I think its best to use a similar STs-language in all plugins for translations. So might be good idea to set up such a spreadsheet as sort of commonly available dictionary - or?

thanks
rgds hennes
- kickbiking with FR 305 and STs 3

runner´s map ... EURE Karte für Laufveranstaltungen - zum MITMACHEN!!!
http://www.runnersmap.info
...mehr als DREI TAUSEND Laufveranstaltungen!
HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:09 pm

gerhard wrote:I will translate to Swedish.

Thanks! I've added the Swedish resource files to v1.2.2 (current release). Re-download if you're interested in it.
gerhard wrote:However, I have a comment: Some of the strings to translate is available in ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Visuals.CommonResources.Text

I found this out after I started translating and did implement it. I must have forgotten to remove those strings from the resource files. Everything uses the ST strings where available.
gerhard wrote:Explanation in Settings has no text - I added that (no label of course). That should probably be tool tips instead.

I miss a tooltip for setting target date - several users have had a problem with that.

I'll look into adding some tooltips in the future and/or translating the explaination. It does seem a little awkward there; I just wanted people to quickly understand what some of that stuff was.
gerhard wrote:Nitty picky: For displaying zones in Settings, it would be easier to use the same concept that ST uses

hmmm.... I like the idea. I've had some ideas that would require more settings, so next time I change that page I'll look into rearranging that part. Good idea!
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gerhard » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:20 pm

HENNES wrote:

... realized that some of the "terminology" must have been used in the original translation from STs into several languages. So is that the "master-place" to look for or are their better sources?

I think its best to use a similar STs-language in all plugins for translations. So might be good idea to set up such a spreadsheet as sort of commonly available dictionary - or?

The common labels can be seen by opening Common.Visuals.dll as a resource in Visual Studio (Express), at CommonResources.Text. You cannot (easily?) see the translated strings though. This is relative new, from May I belive and most plugins have not been designed to use this.

The full translation is available for translators. I believe this should be put publicly somewhere, this will improve the quality if any user can review the complete translation. I do not have the latest version though, this is also the type of information the admin should at least acknowledge.
(Sidenote: I strongly believe that the ST development in general will benefit from open source.)
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby gerhard » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:09 pm

mechgt wrote:EDIT: If you make corrections, please highlight them with your favorite color (I'll un-highlight them as the correction is made.)

I've added the Swedish resource files to v1.2.2

That was quick!

I have updated a little after seeing where the labels are used. Changed a few labels to fit available space

Some untranslated labels (swedish):
watts (Watt) - Should be capital in English?
Meters (meter) - Should not be captial in English?
after (efter)
before (före)
Norm (Norm) - As used in Norm Power
Settings Page name (use VTLPC_MainHeader_TrainingLoad)

In Settings: Why "Factor" label before Reset Category?

Edit: It will probably be good if login is required when editing the translation...
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby mechgt » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:43 pm

gerhard wrote:I have updated a little after seeing where the labels are used. Changed a few labels to fit available space

Updated (download link in my signature now for convenience)
gerhard wrote:Some untranslated labels (swedish):
watts (Watt) - Should be capital in English?
Meters (meter) - Should not be captial in English?
after (efter)
before (f�re)
Norm (Norm) - As used in Norm Power
Settings Page name (use VTLPC_MainHeader_TrainingLoad)

Thanks... I'll get them all (next version update).
gerhard wrote:In Settings: Why "Factor" label before Reset Category?

When you select a particular zone, the button changes to a text field where you can manually change the zone factor. So that spot is specifically related to modification of the factor(s). When/if the settings get re-arranged, that oddity will likely go away.
gerhard wrote:Edit: It will probably be good if login is required when editing the translation...

I have good faith in people, and I prefer to make it as easy as possible for volunteers to help out. :)
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:04 pm

Thanks mechgt for your signature and this great plugin.

Thanks texmurphy for your hint.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ildibad » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:58 am

Happy new year everybody !

I have added a French column to the spreadsheet.
If they are other French speaking people in this forum will they check them ?

Mainly we should agree on an "official" translation of atl/ctl/TSB, tapering etc.

Mechgt,

If you have a half page general explanation in english could you post-it. I will translate it and post it in the french forum section.
Running with :
ildibad
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:18 am

ildibad wrote:I have added a French column to the spreadsheet.
If they are other French speaking people in this forum will they check them ?

Mainly we should agree on an "official" translation of atl/ctl/TSB, tapering etc.

I've updated it with French and Italian. Thanks!!!
ildibad wrote:If you have a half page general explanation in english could you post-it. I will translate it and post it in the french forum section.

I'll see if I can come up with something for you.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Gunnar » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:48 pm

Great work on this plug in. I just installed it last night. This is so much better than taking all the info and plugging it into a spreadsheet manually. :D :D

Just a couple of requests that would make it even more complete and allow me to completely get rid of my excel sheet.

1. A CTL ramp score. This takes your current CTL and subtracts the CTL from a week prior (or possibly a user defined time period), showing as a number how much increase (or decrease) in CTL over the time period.

2. A 3, 7 and 28 day (or user specified time)rolling TrImp total and user specified break even points. The break even points are the amount of training that you can do in those time periods where any increase will not produce any gain in fitness, or become overtrained. As you approach and reach the break even point, having a conditional format to possible change the color of the cell to alert the user that they may want to cool the training for a bit.

Here is an image of how I set it up in excel:
The yellow cells are getting close to the break even point. If I was to reach or go over it, they then turn red. But it may only need to be displayed in the current training status portion of the plugin.

And here's a link to a post I have that may explain it better.

Once again, great work on this amazing plugin. It's awesome.
Gunnar

setting HR zones

Postby IanPV » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:35 am

I love this plug in, thanks so much for working on it!

There is one thing I don't quite understand, and that is how to change the heart rate zones.

The TRIMPS plug in calculates intensity scores that work well for me, and I'd like to use the same scaling factors for the training load plug in too.

However, I can't seem to set the heart rates in the settings. This is pretty important to me as my max heart rate is about 175 (even when I was 20 it was only 195!).

When I change the scaling factors, it has an effect on the TSS but but does not show in the dialog boxes.

The plug in seems to take my max HR into account automatically somehow (otherwise my TSS would be much lower than it is for each activity, whereas the plug in rates it higher than the TRIMPS plug in, which works on %MHR zones), but I don't seem to have full control. Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Ian
IanPV
Donated!
Donated!

Re: setting HR zones

Postby Switch » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:50 am

IanPV wrote:There is one thing I don't quite understand, and that is how to change the heart rate zones.

The TRIMPS plug in calculates intensity scores that work well for me, and I'd like to use the same scaling factors for the training load plug in too.

However, I can't seem to set the heart rates in the settings. This is pretty important to me as my max heart rate is about 175 (even when I was 20 it was only 195!).

The plug in seems to take my max HR into account automatically somehow, but I don't seem to have full control. Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

The answer to your zone-question can be found on page 1 of this thread. It goes like this:
Check your SingleZone setting. That'll dictate which zone factors are used for the calculation:
- SingleZone checked: then all TRIMP values will be calculated using the selected zone (and the other zones will not be used).
- SingleZone NOT checked: TRIMP calculations will be based on the HR zone factors that the activity is assigned to (Running activities will use the Running factors, Cycling activities -> Cycling factors)

Maximum heart rate is taken from the athlete info. Just fill it in somewhere in the past and control is yours!

Switch
Switch
Donated!
Donated!

Postby thorwg » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:40 am

Hi there,

Added Norwegian to your online localization spreadsheet.

Great plugin btw ;)

Regards,
Thor
thorwg
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ildibad » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:42 am

to Gunnar,

Don't you fall in the tautology pitfall ?

By design, rolling trimp on 7 days should be very similar to ATL and rolling trimp on 28 days not very far from CTL.

Your post was interesting for because I used to display "only" CTL, TSB and forecasted influence.

Your explanations tried to convince me that i needed to display also ATL, because it represents the workload I can handle.

But even without displaying ATL, one should be able to manage the fatigue vs fitness by managing the variation of CTL and keeping under control the TSB.

Sorry to contradicting you, but I try to keep my graphs as simple as possible (keeping my brain below the steaming point ;-) )

My dream :
What I would really like to do, is to be able to enter manual values for future events between now and my target point.
With these value, the plugin would calculate CTL, ATL and TSB)
when satisfied with how the curves look, i would love to ask the program to show me the last five events ordered by similarity of Training load (TrImp/Normalized Power). It would help me to pick something similar to a past run fitting in my training schedule and requirements.
Running with :
ildibad
Donated!
Donated!

PreviousNext

Return to Training Load