Version:

Deprecated

Updated:

Nov 15, 2011

Activity Icon in month/year view and week number

Activity Icon in month/year view and week number

Postby arcspin » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Hi,
I'm new to ST3 and I recently found your calendar plugin which I find very useful.
If I may I would like to make some suggestions for improvements.
They might already have been suggested and in that I case please know that there are one more user who would like the following improvements.

It would be nice if you could ad an activity icon to the the color bars in the activity views.
A cyclist icon for cycling activity an so on. That would to better aid in interpret the information in the month/year view.

And add week number to the month and year view, that would be a much appreciated feature for many Scandinavian users and others who commonly refer to week number.

And one perhaps bug report, even though I have selected that the week starts on monday, in the year view the week starts on sunday.

Best regards and keep up the good work,

//Peter from Sweden
arcspin

Re: Activity Icon in month/year view and week number

Postby benbun » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:31 pm

Hi Thanks for your comments.

1) With regards to the images, then I guess these could be added in the "Month View" but I am not sure there would be space in the "Year View". The biggest barrier to this is that I don't have any images to use, and I am not good at creating them myself

2) How is the week number calculated? Suggest where it would go on the Month/Year views and I'll see what I can do.

3) Looks like you are right on the week start day - I'll take a look. It should really just use the standard ST "start of week day" to be honest.
benbun
Donated!
Donated!

Postby arcspin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:56 am

Hello and thank you for your quick response.

I agree with you regarding the icon suggestion I made.
In time I will know my activity colors by heart and therefore icons will be unnecessary clutter to the calender view.

However some week number would still be much appreciated.
Here is a wiki link regarding week date:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_week_date

and here are a link to some java script if that can help you
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~gent0113/calendar/isocalendar.htm

In short here is how you determent the first week: The first week of a year is the week that contains the first Thursday of the year.

The week number could perhaps fit in the black date field to the far left in the month view and could be presented like this (01)
In the year view it becomes more trickier and is perhaps not necessary to present in that view.

And finally, glad to be of some help finding a suspicious bug in the year view.

Best regards,
//Peter from Sweden
arcspin

Postby dirk66 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:13 am

arcspin wrote:Hello and thank you for your quick response.

I agree with you regarding the icon suggestion I made.
In time I will know my activity colors by heart and therefore icons will be unnecessary clutter to the calender view.

However some week number would still be much appreciated.
Here is a wiki link regarding week date:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_week_date

and here are a link to some java script if that can help you
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~gent0113/calendar/isocalendar.htm

In short here is how you determent the first week: The first week of a year is the week that contains the first Thursday of the year.

The week number could perhaps fit in the black date field to the far left in the month view and could be presented like this (01)
In the year view it becomes more trickier and is perhaps not necessary to present in that view.

And finally, glad to be of some help finding a suspicious bug in the year view.

Best regards,
//Peter from Sweden

Hi Peter,

Interesting stuff you mentioned. But notice that in the WIKI link you profided the weeknumber calculation is based on a system with monday as first day of the week. Within sporttracks you have the possibility to choose on which day the week begins. So perhaps the weeknumber should be based on the 4th day counted from the day which is chosen within sporttracks? If someone has for instance selected thursday as startday, probably because of training purposes, it would be nice if the weeks are numbered according to this choice.

Kind regards
Dirk
dirk66
Donated!
Donated!

Postby arcspin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:46 pm

Hi Dirk,
I'm glad you like the idea of week numbers in your calendar.

I think the implementation of week numbers have to be regardless of what start day the user select, because the week number starts counting correctly as stated in the wiki link regardless what day the user have chosen to be his/hers start day. The ISO 8601 standard has to be implemented correctly otherwise users will have different week numbers starting on different days and that is not good.

One possible way to implement this feature is to only allow week numbers when a user have selected that the week starts on a Monday (Gregorian calendar) and then present the number of the weeks in the black date field to the far left in the month view or you could implement week numbers up in the blue field up on each day in the month view where the date and month are presented and there add the number of the week regardless what day the user have selected as their start day. Phuu, that was a long sentence. In doing as suggested in my second suggestion the week number could also be implemented in year view as well.

Best regards,
//Peter
arcspin

Return to Activity YearView