Is ST3 gonna work/be installed after EOL?

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Is ST3 gonna work/be installed after EOL?

Postby Marcos Saad » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:53 am

Hi Guys,

I couldn't find a straight answer for the question: Is ST3 gonna work/be installed after EOL?
I hope so. No support is one thing but the software itself I paid for it.
The main reason I ask is because of the awesome "Waypoints and Courses" plugin once for that I have found no substitute.
The other ST3 are found in several other options.
I explain:

Waypoints and Courses allows me not only convert "waypoints" to "course_points" but also automatic create them when it finds a valley, a summit, a turn of certain degree, among others.
Those course_points will then be part of a COURSE and you can export as a tcx file that will show in your GPS a clue list of those course_points, independently of a map be installed.
There is no match for that as I know.

Thank you
Marcos Saad

Re: Is ST3 gonna work/be installed after EOL?

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:23 am

Marcos Saad wrote:Hi Guys,

I couldn't find a straight answer for the question: Is ST3 gonna work/be installed after EOL?

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/st3-end-of-life/ is pretty clear:
After March 31, 2020, we will no longer take support issues, offer software updates, or provide any support infrastructure for online services related to the ST3 Windows PC application operation including the support website, license management, or plugin registry.

This means that you will not be able to install ST. But you should be able to run a previously installed version of ST3.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Marcos Saad » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:28 pm

Thanks for your prompt answer.
Wow, so if I change computer I'll be in trouble...
Would you plan having a solo Waypoints and Courses software?

Tks.
Marcos Saad

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:02 pm

Marcos Saad wrote:Thanks for your prompt answer.
Wow, so if I change computer I'll be in trouble...
Would you plan having a solo Waypoints and Courses software?

Tks.

Hi Marcos,
plain answer: no.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:53 am

old_man_biking wrote:[This means that you will not be able to install ST. But you should be able to run a previously installed version of ST3.

Sorry to correct you a little bit, but it is not so evident. It was never confirmed by admin, just the opposite. Eg. see this post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18089&p=93603&hilit=rely#p93603 which says "As stated in the announcement if you are a current user you should not rely on or assume that the ST3 Windows PC software will operate after 31 March, 2020."

There were many questions asking whether licenses are checked via vwe during each launch of ST3 and therefore whether there is arisk that there will be no running server which would confirm that one has a valid license to run ST3.

The answer from ST team was not a YES or No, but that "you should not rely..."

Your say is something which I hope to be true, but I have a fear that it might be false.
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby Marcos Saad » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:15 am

in that case, do you know any software capable of doing what your do?

Tks.
Marcos Saad

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:32 am

No, I don't know of any single software, which is as good as my W&C plugin 8) .
But there are so many apps and cloud based services in this field, that you should be able to cover most of your needs by combining some of them. Just Google for your required features.
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Marcos Saad » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:12 pm

Hi,

I have done my search well before buying your plug in and I use it a lot for MTB, mainly in areas with no maps.
As far I know you are unique.
I'm not aware of any that allows for creating a "course_point" without a background map nor transforme waypoints to course_points by distances or automatically create summits and valleys course_points much less creating ahead warnings for course_points to Garmin devices...
I use to manage and create my tracks and waypoints by using a combination of Basecamp and GE.
Then I import the gpx to your software and make all the adjustments of which waypoint should or not became a course_point.
After that I export as TCX and convert it to FIT using CourseTCX2FIT in order to address the peculiarities of Garmin Fenix line otherwise I would export directly as your FIT file.
So far unmatchable :-)

My best regards,
Marcos Saad

Postby gerhard » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:49 pm

old_man_biking wrote:No, I don't know of any single software, which is as good as my W&C plugin 8) .

...and there are many OMB plugins that are even better, a major part of the ST experience.
Many thanks for everything!
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby admin » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:58 am

Marcos Saad wrote:I couldn't find a straight answer for the question: Is ST3 gonna work/be installed after EOL?

You should not rely on the software working after the end of life date. We are advising customers who want to keep their ST3 history to make backups of their data and export data so they can transfer their workout history to another software platform.

You have an easy upgrade route to use the SportTracks online app if you choose - Cloud Sync will bring up your workouts, gear and health metrics in a few clicks. You can also use the TCX export plugin to transfer to another software platform such as Golden Cheetah or others.
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby runs4cache » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:30 pm

(This is my own opinion and I am just a user)
Auto detection of summits and valleys is in gpx2crs. This utility is hard to find, last time I referred someone it was downloadable from internet archive.
The JaVaWa RTW Tool will convert a GPX with waypoints to FIT/TCX with with CoursePoints. It is easily googleable.
Garmin Mapsource will make routes with a background map (set Preference for Routing to Direct Routes) or without a background map (choose none for map). Garmin Basecamp might be capable of this as well, I just don't have access to try it out right now.
runs4cache
-PAID-
-PAID-

Postby pucko » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:17 pm

This really sucks. I'm a user of both the mobi version and the ST3. ST3 have functions in plugins like live recording etc that I miss in the onlie version.
The day I can't trust that I will be able to install st3 on a new computer, I will move away from Sporttracks forever. When I bought the ST3 it was promoted as a "life time " licnense.. Well. I that was a short life....
pucko

Postby Marcos Saad » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:26 pm

pucko wrote:This really sucks. I'm a user of both the mobi version and the ST3. ST3 have functions in plugins like live recording etc that I miss in the onlie version.
The day I can't trust that I will be able to install st3 on a new computer, I will move away from Sporttracks forever. When I bought the ST3 it was promoted as a "life time " licnense.. Well. I that was a short life....

exactly!
Marcos Saad

Return to Questions