I am crushed....

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Re: I am crushed....

Postby admin » Mon May 06, 2019 10:07 am

Rob Holtman wrote:I use ST3 mainly for planning my rides and upload them on my Garmin Edge. I suspect did isn't possible after EOL of ST3 because the software seize to be functioning. What is the best software (online) that can just do that ? That I lose all my data after EOL of ST3 I can live with that. The basic data I keep in a spreadsheet.

Ride with GPS is probably your best bet for cycling focused route planning. They are a nice small company based in Portland that are supported by customer revenue and don't take venture capital. Just like us.
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby texmurphy » Mon May 06, 2019 12:05 pm

admin wrote:Ride with GPS is probably your best bet for cycling focused route planning...

Too bad RWGPS route planning and gps editing is a very poor second to ST3.
No other site offers the track edit ability nor the course creation ability present in ST3.
Even with the degradation of google route creating ST3 is best.

Example of RWGPS failure is anytime it encounters a staggered intersection it will fail, often with very nonlinear trackpoint placement.

Example of ST3 superiority: the ability to offset track from center of roadway or ability to move/delete trackpoint selections.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Mon May 06, 2019 12:23 pm

Ok, I was not aware that route creation and editing had been removed in Ride With GPS. They're still offering information about it on their website and youtube videos.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby texmurphy » Mon May 06, 2019 3:12 pm

RWGPS will do route creation (see limits referred by me above). But the smart user than takes the output from RWGPS and loads it into ST3 for edits and corrections :lol:

ST3 also very useful when you have to "patch" a failed gps device section.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ricomundy » Mon May 06, 2019 8:41 pm

texmurphy wrote:RWGPS will do route creation (see limits referred by me above). But the smart user than takes the output from RWGPS and loads it into ST3 for edits and corrections :lol:

ST3 also very useful when you have to "patch" a failed gps device section.

I agree, I've used ST to patch bad GPS data. It's very useful in that regard.
ricomundy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Rob Holtman » Tue May 07, 2019 5:04 am

Very sad that we have to move to inferior products :(
Rob Holtman

Postby Yannos » Thu May 09, 2019 4:17 am

It's abolutely not fair that admins stop ST3.They just want to earn more and more money with Mobi, excluding all sportsmanship.
If they were really disinterested, they would leave ST3 accessible to all members.
I also want to reiterate that most of us have paid for this appli and expect to use it for more time.
I understand that managing such an appli has a cost, so why not asking for an annual fee.
Yannos
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Rootman » Thu May 09, 2019 7:19 am

Yannos wrote:It's abolutely not fair that admins stop ST3.They just want to earn more and more money with Mobi, excluding all sportsmanship.
If they were really disinterested, they would leave ST3 accessible to all members.
I also want to reiterate that most of us have paid for this appli and expect to use it for more time.
I understand that managing such an appli has a cost, so why not asking for an annual fee.

Well, they DO have to make money and ST3 isn't doing it for them. The market is all mobile apps now, so that's the direction they are heading.

I really do wish that they would put out a new version of ST3 and have a 'forever' license key that would not require activation. They could send it to all paid users so the app could be used on their next computer without activation by their servers. They could then shut down they license server and be done with it. The reality is that the 'forever key' would get out and a bunch of people would use it rather than pay for the Mobi version / service.

Personally, I just want to collect the rides. Display basic data and determine where I went and how fast. I've started to use My Tour Book. It's a different animal but it's free and works almost as well as ST3. I'll keep using ST3 till I have to switch laptops again and have a new OS. One good thing I can say about Windows 10 though, you can restore a backup from a drastically different piece of hardware and it usually comes up and runs well enough to get the missing drivers added - provided that the basics like the SATA drive don't change too much. So, if the next laptop isn't a major change I may try and go that route until the Windows bit-rot does me in.
Rootman

Postby Yannos » Thu May 09, 2019 8:47 am

Rootman wrote:
The reality is that the 'forever key' would get out and a bunch of people would use it rather than pay for the Mobi version / service.

This is why I think it could be good to pay an annuel fee to keep on with ST3
Yannos
Donated!
Donated!

Postby thosj » Thu May 09, 2019 12:11 pm

For anyone using ST3 to track lots of equipment and looking for an alternative, ProBikeGarage has added the ability to enter Initial Mileage/Hours and to Retire equipment in a recent release. This did it for me, allowing my to track all my 70 or 80 equipment items, bikes, stuff. I even trick it like I did ST3 to add "equipment" for like 2019 Miles All, and 2019 Miles Outside, and 2019 Miles for each bike, etc. Looks great with the new additions, and it IS phone/iPad/tablet!! I'd prefer a web app, but, hey, I gotta join the revolution some time!!

OH, and like I said upthread, I'd have probably paid the MOBI annual fee for ST3. Alas, I'm paying for Mobi now and am actually starting to like it so that's where I'll be with ProBikeGarage as a backup, bracing for whoever goes "out of business" first.

Tom
thosj
Donated!
Donated!

SportTracks 3 Activation

Postby pukkie » Fri May 10, 2019 2:39 am

I don't like web based data storage and the alternatives posted in the other thread are just not as good. I could always go back to SportTracks 2 but I'd prefer to continue running SportTracks 3 on my own risk without support also after the End Of Life.

The problem with SportTracks 3 is the activation of course, I suppose this needs to connect to the zonefivesoftware servers, would it be possible to leave this service backend up, so that users who purchased SportTracks 3 previously can continue to reactivate it.

Alternatively is there a way to copy the activation from an activated computer (eg registry setting) to another computer? Otherwise I could export this data now from my activated copy.
pukkie
Donated!
Donated!

Re: SportTracks 3 Activation

Postby Rob Holtman » Fri May 10, 2019 4:43 am

Why am I so confused ? This post suggest that ST3 keeps functioning after EOL until you move to a new OS or computer. ST3 says the software seized to be functioning after EOL and you have to move to another platform.
What is true ??
Rob Holtman

Postby admin » Fri May 10, 2019 7:20 am

Rob Holtman wrote:Why am I so confused ? This post suggest that ST3 keeps functioning after EOL until you move to a new OS or computer. ST3 says the software seized to be functioning after EOL and you have to move to another platform.
What is true ??

The ST3 Windows PC app will end-of-life on March 31, 2020. You can find the announcement details here: ST3 End of Life Notification. At this time we do not intend to offer licenses to any native Windows software after that date. After March 31, 2020 you should not expect the software to continue to operate.

If you have important fitness history you want to keep you must make plans to migrate that data to another solution in the next 11 months before end-of-life.

1. You can use the TCX Export plugin to export your workout history in a format that is compatible with many other apps: TCX Export Plugin.
  2. If you decide to stay with SportTracks, the migration is simple and easy with a few clicks using the ST3 Cloud Sync feature to sync to your online SportTracks account: ST3 Cloud Sync to SportTracks
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Keeby » Fri May 10, 2019 11:17 am

If you are no longer going to support it, why not remove the licensing element and allow those of us who wish to continue using it to do so?
Keeby
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Keeby » Fri May 10, 2019 11:20 am

What would you lose by removing the licensing element of ST3 and allow those of us who wish to continue using it to do so. It's not going to hurt you in anyway, you're obviously wiping your hands of it.
Keeby
Donated!
Donated!

Postby atterbiker » Sun May 12, 2019 3:21 pm

Keeby wrote:If you are no longer going to support it, why not remove the licensing element and allow those of us who wish to continue using it to do so?

+1
atterbiker

Postby rolljack » Mon May 13, 2019 12:55 pm

I paid for a lifetime license!
Perhaps I can understand that you are canceling any support but not the cut off any usage.

I guess you just want to sell the licenses for online use.

But be sure I will never use any product of you (even for free) if you do as announced.
rolljack

Postby Keeby » Tue May 14, 2019 5:30 am

rolljack wrote:I paid for a lifetime license!
Perhaps I can understand that you are canceling any support but not the cut off any usage.

+1
Keeby
Donated!
Donated!

Postby zacklaws » Tue May 14, 2019 6:01 am

rolljack wrote:I paid for a lifetime license!

But be sure I will never use any product of you (even for free) if you do as announced.

+1
zacklaws
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Fri May 17, 2019 4:49 pm

I dont want to ragel ike some other users, just to wish to remark it silently that if I liked the web solutions I would have already switched to either ST mobi or would rely on GC. But I don't.

I can imagine that consumers insisting on ST3 is a shrinking group of people, but it would be a wiser approach from business aspects to re-launch ST3 as ST3b or something like that and to ask USD XXX for this 'new' desktop/laptop version of ST3 saying that the original fee was not for eternity. You can market it as extra support fee or anyway you wish.

Me too will keep on using ST3 keeping my fingers crossed hoping that my laptop running ST3 will not collapse.
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Sat May 18, 2019 11:13 am

whiskywheels wrote:
texmurphy wrote:Export of multiple activities is supported by Export2TCX plugin http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttr ... tcx-export
You will get activity trackpoints only, not Notes, Equipment, etc.
But you can import this into garmin/strava, etc.
Some programs claim to import ST3 fitlog, but they don't do it well.

I found that tcx files, imported to MyTourbook for example, were missing all the power data, weather/temp., and all the ride names/location, although my ride notes were there.

Fitlog files imported to MyTourbook do at least show everything.............except my power data :(

I tried Golden Cheetah, but that was even worse for missing fields.

I'll probably carry on with STmobi, and can at least continue to access my 13 years of data from there, but I still want an offline backup of all my data.

Who knows how long mobi will be available for? After all, it was only Feb. 2018 that we were told; (see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17902&p=92717&sid=2624f7565170a5de853ff53ad9ded188#p92715)
" If you've purchased a ST3 license in the past, you can be confident that your license will not expire or terminate and that we will continue to make the software available for download as you need to re-install it or move it to a new machine. Licensed customers will continue to be supported via email and our social media channels, as they have for the last 15 years. That is a commitment we are making."

Is there any desktop fitness app which can interpret the customdata fields created by ST3?

I had mirror data fields of all of the built in data field even of those like avg speed, avg power etc, and added some like moving speed, because I realized that when I deleted the data tracks of the very old activities (in order to keep the logbook size small) the majority of the standard data fields showed strange values, sometimes negative ones.

So I am totally dependent from the custom data fields.
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Sat May 18, 2019 11:22 am

gregoryx wrote:
To those looking for alternatives: while Golden Cheetah doesn't look great to me, it does support a direct import of the entire ST3 database. Not sure what it'll do with any custom fields. Not sure how the exports work. But it's an encouraging option on the import side.

Maye anyone around who has already tested Golden Cheetah from this aspect....?
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby texmurphy » Sat May 18, 2019 5:42 pm

MyTourbook and GoldenCheetah will import ST3 .fitlog files. These files contain basic ST3 data (trackpoints, elevation, cadence, HR, Power) as well as ST3 Location, Notes, Weather, and Equipment. Output from ST3 .fitlog is the better choice for import into either of these programs. .tcx output is too limiting. ST3 .fitlog is a very slow export but you can easily do it a year at a time and be willing to wait 15 minutes for .fitlog export to complete. .tcx output is greased lighting by comparison.
Unfortunately, the omb .fitlogex (extended fitlog) is not used by any program other than ST3.

Both MT and GC would require additional edits if you want the same information format as in ST3. MT is more likely to be able to almost do equipment tracking using the tags feature. MT has a nice database engine and can load all your data even if you have had to split logbooks due to out-of-memory faults in ST3. GC starts to bog down with large amounts of data. However if you want esoteric analysis then GC will do that.

MT takes a bit of effort to fully use the user interface...
...but so also does GC.
Last edited by texmurphy on Sun May 19, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Sun May 19, 2019 2:42 am

“Unfortunately, the omb .fitlogex (extended fitlog) is not used by any program other than ST3.”

So the only way to keep the mirrored standard data into customfields and the self created measures like peak VAM over 5 minutes or peak HR over 20 minutes to import them into Excel somehow, otherwise they will be lost from April 2020.

Let me ask, ADMIN, does ST mobi handle all of the development reached within ST3, all of the solutions supplied by ST3? Can one keep all of the features of the plugins of ST3 also in ST mobi? Meaning that if I give up my objections against web based fitness logbooks, and go for ST mobi, then I will not see any change in the set of data now I have in ST3?
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby fishyweb » Tue May 21, 2019 3:00 am

Guys, I've been using PerfPRO Studio software for about 6 months for controlling my smart trainer. It is a very powerful desktop app with a 1-time license fee, similar in functionality to Trainer Road and so forth. It comes complete with a workout tracking component called PerfPRO Analyzer which, up until now, I've not paid much attention to, preferring to load my workouts into ST3. However I've now realised that it might make a pretty good alternative to ST3. From the PerfPRO website:

PerfPRO© Analyzer is a software application that allows athletes to log their workouts as well as create detailed training plans to help organize their goals. PerfPRO allows athletes to log all types of workouts (e.g., bike, run, swim, etc.) and is VERY powerful when it comes analyzing data from the various power devices. Athletes whom use a CompuTrainer™, Garmin™, Tacx™, PowerTap™, SRM™, iBike™, Velotron™ and many other power training devices are able to completely analyze all areas of a performance file. It is a complete performance analysis tool that can produce detailed statistical information on individual performances as well as overall progress. It can also produce many easy-to-understand reports and graphs, which allow you to better understand your progression. PerfPRO helps analyze your strengths, but more importantly it helps identify your weaknesses, which makes this software the perfect fit to your training needs.

From what I understand, it is also fine for sports that don't normally include power data as well e.g. running.

Note that if you don't need the smart trainer control, you can purchase the Analyzer component separately at a cheaper cost. There is a free 14 day trial period as well. See https://perfprostudio.com/Analyzer.aspx

I'm going to take a closer look at this when I get time, hopefully in the next week or so. Note that I don't have any affiliation with PerfPRO, other than as a customer.
Steve
Using Garmin FR 230 for running, and Garmin Edge 820 (with cad, power and HR) for cycling
fishyweb
Donated!
Donated!

PreviousNext

Return to Questions