I am crushed....

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

I am crushed....

Postby Touch0Gray » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:17 am

I have been a loyal, paid user for SportTracks since 2005. The end of life announcement broke my heart. Now my question is, how to I archive 15 years of cycling record (amounting to over 30,000 miles) at least to my hdd??? (short of exporting each activity individually)
Touch0Gray
Donated!
Donated!

Re: I am crushed....

Postby Touch0Gray » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:51 am

Also if I migrate all my data to Mobi , can I archive it on my own computer? I have had issues with cloud based storage.
Touch0Gray
Donated!
Donated!

Postby staffann » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:59 am

I guess support cannot continue forever, but the worst is the bold part below (made bold by me):
After March 31, 2020, we will no longer take support issues, offer software updates, or provide any support infrastructure for online services related to the ST3 Windows PC application operation including the support website, license management, or plugin registry.

That means that it will not be possible to download ST3, to download a plugin, to get ones license etc. That is not only ceasing support but virtually forcing users to stop using the software. A sad move indeed.
On the ST2Funbeat development team. Author of the Svettig (jogg.se) and Compare Planned plugins.
staffann
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:31 pm

...license management, or plugin registry...

This means that you must do any computer upgrade or migration BEFORE ST3 termination. There will be no way to activate stuff otherwise.

For example, Win7 users will need to migrate to Win8 or Win10 in advance to ST3 termination. Well Win7 users will need to in a year anyway.
I am not sure of omb's reactivation schedule, but likely will also fail.

Very sad end to great utility.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Touch0Gray » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:28 pm

it will be a VERY cold day in he!! before I get rid of my Win7 machine until it suffer a catastrophic hardware failure. I LOATHE windows 10.

so now comes the question, is there ANY way to export the entire logbook, if even to a cvs or excel compatible file. I seriously have over 35.588 miles logged, I could always export rides individually but that would take me from now until the end of service date practically!

I guess I better get started.
Touch0Gray
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:51 pm

Export of multiple activities is supported by Export2TCX plugin http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttr ... tcx-export

I suggest exporting a week ore month at a time by selecting week or month from Daily Activity.
Be sure to specify device type if you want that.
You will get activity trackpoints only, not Notes, Equipment, etc.
But you can import this into garmin/strava, etc.
Some programs claim to import ST3 fitlog, but they don't do it well.
CSV export plugin is hard to work with.

Win8.5 can be configured to work like Win7. You will get 3 additional years of MS support with Win8.5
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Touch0Gray » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:19 pm

Sorry I had windows 8, hated it, have 10, hate it a little less but still hate it, I like 7. I am aware that I can export my activities, and all of the data, and prefer the gpx format. I have been using garmin software for decades. I have a year to create the gpx files, as a matter of fact, my GPS already has 240 some gpx files from the last 2 years archives all of the as well as uploading via the phone to Connect.

However, I prefer redundancy and archive all my files in multiple locations, which was easy with SportTracks.

Personally, one of the only reasons I use windows at all is because of SportTracks.
Touch0Gray
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Rob Holtman » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:11 am

If I understand well only support will be canceld (this was almost the case for the last 2 years). The maps still functioning after march 2020. that is the main question ?
Rob Holtman

Postby texmurphy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:48 am

Rob Holtman wrote:... the main question ?

Reactivation if you move to a new machine or do a significant hardware or OS upgrade.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Rob Holtman » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:05 am

Is this not possible before march 2020 ?
Rob Holtman

Postby ksherman » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:23 pm

texmurphy wrote:Reactivation if you move to a new machine or do a significant hardware or OS upgrade.

True, based on that the activation component needs to be disabled.
Keith Sherman
Garmin Edge 800, Garmin Fenix3
Trek Domane 2016
Specialized Roubaix SL3 '11
Specialized Epic '15
ksherman
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:38 am

Touch0Gray wrote:I have been a loyal, paid user for SportTracks since 2005. The end of life announcement broke my heart. Now my question is, how to I archive 15 years of cycling record (amounting to over 30,000 miles) at least to my hdd??? (short of exporting each activity individually)

Historical data transfer from your ST3 logbook will depend totally on which fitness software package you migrate to. If you decide to stick with SportTracks there is no question of archiving because all the data is stored online. You can sync your entire ST3 history to your online account in a few clicks with the ST3 "Cloud Sync" feature. The feature has been in the product for five or so years and will sync your workouts, health metrics and gear.

Touch0Gray wrote:Also if I migrate all my data to Mobi , can I archive it on my own computer? I have had issues with cloud based storage.

The online SportTracks platform is completely managed. There's no need to deal with data archives or backups and restore - we do all that for you. Your fitness history is available anywhere you have internet. You can simply use the software features and leave the maintenance upkeep to us.

A few partners such as fitnesssyncer and tapiriik have integrated with the SportTracks data API and provide features to save your workouts into cloud storage such as one drive or dropbox in industry standard TCX format. However at this moment there is no single universal archive format for fitness data that will include your entire history of workouts, custom sensor data, gear, health metrics, training plans, goals, coach notes and commentary and the other things you can record in SportTracks. If you go to a different software package you'll have to handle migration of this other info on your own, and realistically, you will probably lose a lot of it in the migration.

If this doesn't answer all your questions feel free to contact support via email to open a support ticket.
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby semperfi » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:53 pm

Just for clarification: If I do not want to change from ST3 and continue to use it after June 30, 2020 I will be able to. I guess I am more of a basic user of the software, the most advanced use I guess is storing my runs with tags of different routes and then being able to look back to the last times I ran that route for comparison.

Please tell me I can continue to use ST3 knowing I will not get updates or technical support!!

Max
semperfi

Postby zacklaws » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:17 pm

Devastated. And when I see I will have to pay $59/per year for Sporttracks Mobi which I cannot afford, then it will be the end of the line for me with sporttracks when it finally stops working. Luckily, I have always backed everything up going back to about 2007 and also import everything into "Golden Cheetah" which I always use as well.
zacklaws
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ZeroZed » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:05 pm

Not a happy camper. I've used ST for....I honestly don't know how long. We're talking 10-ish years? I've got every activity I've ever done (was an ultra-runner, now mtb) in that program. I tried mobi when it was released--paid for a subscription. It was okay.

But I'm going to be 100% frank--now that I mtb, I primarily rely on Strava--although I do still upload to ST as well. Strava is just a better program, and their free tier is solid. AFAIK, mobi doesn't offer much (if anything) in a free tier. Not sure why I would choose mobi over Strava given that my bike's GPS computer automatically syncs with Strava.

It's a sad day indeed. I understand where the developers need to keep a revenue stream going--but this sure isn't an effective way. I think you're pissing off your oldest customers. I get that you want to deprecate the program--but turning off the ability to activate it on a new machine is tantamount to refusing us access to our historical data and health information unless we pay you an ongoing subscription for a service that a number of us just aren't interested in.
ZeroZed
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ACree » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:08 pm

ZeroZed wrote:Not a happy camper. I've used ST for....I honestly don't know how long. We're talking 10-ish years? I've got every activity I've ever done (was an ultra-runner, now mtb) in that program. I tried mobi when it was released--paid for a subscription. It was okay.

But I'm going to be 100% frank--now that I mtb, I primarily rely on Strava--although I do still upload to ST as well. Strava is just a better program, and their free tier is solid. AFAIK, mobi doesn't offer much (if anything) in a free tier. Not sure why I would choose mobi over Strava given that my bike's GPS computer automatically syncs with Strava.

It's a sad day indeed. I understand where the developers need to keep a revenue stream going--but this sure isn't an effective way. I think you're pissing off your oldest customers. I get that you want to deprecate the program--but turning off the ability to activate it on a new machine is tantamount to refusing us access to our historical data and health information unless we pay you an ongoing subscription for a service that a number of us just aren't interested in.

I 100% agree. If .mobi was better, I'd use it exclusively. But it's not. The reporting is not as good, and I find it slow. Perhaps instead of forcing people off the product that sold as a perpetual license, a better approach might have been to make them WANT to switch to .mobi.
ACree
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Rootman » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:02 pm

Well, I can't say that I didn't suspect that this was coming. There's just no money to be made in a one time purchase and long term support when a monthly plan can rake in cash every month.

I am not interested in any of the features of the online version. I like the PC version and I have 7 years of data on it. I'll try and export it to armin - which I don't really like either but it comes free with the Garmin devices I've had for the past few years.

So, ST3 developers. Can you release a version for us buyers that does not require activation? In the event I fail at the import to Garmin I would still like to keep ST3 and I upgrade my laptops every couple years. Why not simply hardcode an activation code in and give it to us.
Rootman

Postby ksherman » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:02 pm

Well despite the wailing, honestly you can't blame Z5 for the decision. Pay a few dollars some years ago and expect a lifetime of use. Really? How's that VCR doing for you now.
But it is fair to expect that you can continue to use the software on new machines. But as soon as Garmin update their FIT file format again , then really you are on your own. There will always be a workaround somehow, but it will be up to you to figure it out.

To me the bigger issue, and it should be the main issue for mobi developers, is why are people reluctant to switch. Is it really the cost? I don't think so, all the other options with any sophistication are much more expensive. The cost of mobi; a ten swim pass, less than one decent bike tyre, between 1/3 and 1/2 a pair of shoes. There are free options but they are generally not great. Strava, which is the big player has a couple of cool features, but no real analysis.

Two things stand out for me.
1. Why can't we have a roadmap. Yes we have the voting option, but can we tell what effect? No.
2. Despite the claim to be the analysis platform there are lots of glossed over bits. The mobi training load is a picture. The ST3 TL plugin is a data mine. The goal feature is good, but why not have some hover tips, or just more data - how far ahead/behind am I? The slider filters on the workouts page are of little use. If you swim then a short swim is say 1k, a long swim is 5k. If you cycle then 30k and 150k. If you do both then every swim is now in the short category. The "range" of the filter should adjust if you have selected a sport.

I have been on mobi since the start. It is pretty good. But I only use it for the "headlines", how am I tracking for time this week, this month. The real looking is done in ST. I would be happy for that to not be the case, but it won't be because I give up some functionality I use. And in terms of what I do use, it is core ST3 plus Training Load, plus Goals, plus Trails.
The ST3 features should have been a given, they already knew how to do it. Goals I would rate at 90%. TL at 60%. Trails, well maybe that is where we resort to Strava, and that's probably okay.
Keith Sherman
Garmin Edge 800, Garmin Fenix3
Trek Domane 2016
Specialized Roubaix SL3 '11
Specialized Epic '15
ksherman
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gregoryx » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:29 pm

I'm in the "bummer" camp. For the same reasons others stated above: the reporting in ST3 is great - searchable, grouping, etc. But it was certainly inevitable. This was an athlete's app. Which is a lot like races (running, at least): used to be for athletes, now for finisher medals. No money in athletes.

ST folks, could you PLEASE release a version that doesn't require you being involved in order to reinstall it? Ideally, the plugins would become perpetual as well.

I've been gladly paying for ST online for a few years now - since the first release, whenever that was. But it's a far cry from ST3 for viewing and manipulating information. I'm searching for a viable alternative to ST3, but I fear MOBI maybe about as inferior as the rest. One thing I'm seeing is the tendency for apps to be more bike-focused than running-focused - like Golden Cheetah - which is just an annoyance when things are all mph instead of min-per-mile pace. Anyway... enough whining, I guess.

ST folks, release an unlocked version?

and anyone with a solution to the reporting problem, what are you going to? 'Cause it certainly isn't MOBI.

EDIT: Forgot about this deal-breaker (from another post): "All data in your online SportTracks account is backed up automatically. There is no need (and no way) to personally back up only your data in the website database."

NOPE, NOPE, NOPE, NOPE, NOPE. I don't want your assurance that you'll have my data for as long as that's convenient for you. What's the best-case scenario for a nice cloud-app? Acquisition! So let's say Google buys it... which history tells us means the product will be eliminated in a year or so. And the users and data abandoned. From an app with data that you cannot export. Awesome. Nope.
gregoryx

Postby whiskywheels » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:46 am

I too am very disappointed, having used ST for over 13 years. I also subscribe to mobi as it syncs with my Garmin etc.

Like others I want to be able to access ST3 after it finishes, as I regularly need to look back at all my data when planning new trips & routes. I know I can do this on mobi, but ST3 is much better to use in this way. So, if I sign out of cloud sync in ST3 to be on the safe side, will I be able to access my data after the end date?
whiskywheels

Postby dodgy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:19 am

Another loyal user with data going back 13 years, first record in my log is 20th May 2006 :|
I will miss ST greatly, I asked frequently for a model to allow me to pay more regularly for a licence, that's how much I valued it. I never wanted to go online, I want instant snappy feedback when mining my data.

So now to the practical part, what's the best way to export 13 years of ride data into a format that is importable to whatever I move to (Mytourbook , Golden Cheetah?)?

I think one of the features I will miss most is not knowing (unless I make the effort to write notes on a pad after every ride) how much mileage/time my kit has been used for. It was fantastically useful to be able to keep tabs on chains, tyres, cassettes etc, then figure out which cleaning regimen was best for maintaining gear.

Dave
dodgy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Andrea71 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:27 am

I'm using Sporttracks since 2012 and data start in 2008 when I purchased my first gps. The reason why I will not pass to mobi is that it's very far from ST3 regarding quality and personalization. The price is too high but if it would the online version of ST3 with the same characteristics I would pay it, now is simply an other version of garmin connect and strava that are free. On ST3 you can create data fields to personalize your program, e.g for your bike and shoes, you can specialize your activity with as much categories as you want, you have fields for monitoring body pressure, your injuries, and so on, that are very important to me, so I also send my request to let us access to our data also after the dead of ST3 and reinstall it if it's necessary, it's our right to do that.
Andrea71

Postby whiskywheels » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:40 am

Andrea71 wrote:I'm using Sporttracks since 2012 and data start in 2008 when I purchased my first gps. The reason why I will not pass to mobi is that it's very far from ST3 regarding quality and personalization. The price is too high but if it would the online version of ST3 with the same characteristics I would pay it, now is simply an other version of garmin connect and strava that are free. On ST3 you can create data fields to personalize your program, e.g for your bike and shoes, you can specialize your activity with as much categories as you want, you have fields for monitoring body pressure, your injuries, and so on, that are very important to me, so I also send my request to let us access to our data also after the dead of ST3 and reinstall it if it's necessary, it's our right to do that.

Yes, some very good points. There seems to be quite a few of us here who want much the same things.
whiskywheels

Postby whiskywheels » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:30 am

The crazy thing is, I'll stop my subscription with ST mobi because of this. The only reason I have mobi is that it syncs with ST3! In future I can finish a ride & my Garmin 820 will sync with Garmin Connect and RWGPS as it does now, but without ST3 there's no need for mobi.
whiskywheels

Postby leicameter » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:01 am

whiskywheels wrote:The crazy thing is, I'll stop my subscription with ST mobi because of this. The only reason I have mobi is that it syncs with ST3! In future I can finish a ride & my Garmin 820 will sync with Garmin Connect and RWGPS as it does now, but without ST3 there's no need for mobi.

For me it's the same :-(
leicameter

Next

Return to Questions