Maps not displaying

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

[ST3] Google Maps not working

Postby texmurphy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:15 pm

Google updated Terms of Service 21 January 2019. Among other ToS verbiage is the following which may be where failure occurs (my bolding):
Pass-Through Terms of Service. By no later than May 25, 2018, you will explicitly state in your website, application, or product’s terms of use that users are bound by the Google Maps/Google Earth Additional Terms of Service (including the Google Privacy Policy), and provide hyperlinks to both, unless your website or application already includes a hyperlink to these Maps/Earth Additional Terms whenever it displays Google Maps data.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Maps not displaying

Postby ozbiker2 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:58 am

I have been using ST for many years and have a huge database of riding in addition to many plugins that provide me with very useful functionality. I do not wish to change but from time to time certain parts of ST break and it is very frustrating.

This time it is the maps. I entered my Google API key a few weeks ago and maps have been working perfectly. Today they stopped without warning. Google and Ar maps fail to display at all. This applies to the maps and the terrain images. There is no diagnostic feedback and therefore no possibility of solving this problem from the user perspective.

What does it take to keep this software working?

The only diagnostic possibility is that since updating ST and adding my API key is get a "Script error" dialog each time ST is started. It states "An error occurred in the script on this page", line 31, char 1, error Syntax error, code 0, url http://maps.myosotissp.com/gmaps.html. Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? I select Yes and ST starts, apparently normally, and up to today functions without error.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
ozbiker2

Re: Maps not displaying

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:28 am

See similar thread @ viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18061
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:43 am

As mentioned above this is a known issue and there is a post in the BUGS forum.

Our best guess a Google Maps update removed support for legacy Windows apps such as ST3.

ST3 hasn't been in active development for years so it will be some time before we can get resources dedicated to investigate and hopefully come to a solution!

Meanwhile, you may want to use the Open Street Map plugin as an alternative for map backgrounds in ST3.

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttr ... nstreetmap
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby texmurphy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:05 pm

Possible that problem with google auto-routing on route creation can be solved at the same time. May be same linkage.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18021
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Rob Holtman » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:55 am

The last time it took two years until we get a solution. I saw this coming so I didn't bothered to get a Google Maps Api-key. ST3 could be more honest it doesn't developing software anymore. :(
Last edited by Rob Holtman on Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Holtman

Re: [ST3] Google Maps not working

Postby IAmFedUpWithThis » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:19 am

I have an API key and it isn't working for me either - not even the "watermarked" maps you used to get if you didn't have a key.

texmurphy wrote:Google updated Terms of Service 21 January 2019. Among other ToS verbiage is the following which may be where failure occurs (my bolding):
Pass-Through Terms of Service. By no later than May 25, 2018, you will explicitly state in your website, application, or product’s terms of use that users are bound by the Google Maps/Google Earth Additional Terms of Service (including the Google Privacy Policy), and provide hyperlinks to both, unless your website or application already includes a hyperlink to these Maps/Earth Additional Terms whenever it displays Google Maps data.

Of course, SportTracks ought to comply with this, but I can't believe that Google have gone through every application or website to check that there's a link somewhere.
IAmFedUpWithThis

Postby IAmFedUpWithThis » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:40 am

I also found this in the terms and conditions:

9.1 Google will notify Customer at least 12 months before making material discontinuance(s) or backwards incompatible change(s) to the Services, unless Google reasonably determines that: (a) Google cannot do so by law or by contract (including if there is a change in applicable law or contract) or (b) continuing to provide the Services could create a (i) security risk or (ii) substantial economic or technical burden.

So if they've made a change that isn't backwards-compatible, surely Google are in breach of this? I can't see any reference to a change in their pages on the Javascript API, in any case.
IAmFedUpWithThis

Postby Galaxy_I » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:58 pm

btw, OSM mapping still works
Galaxy_I

Postby dmkp621 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:34 pm

I am seeing the same issue. I have a large activity database with 12+ years of history on SportTracks for Windows. I use SportTracks every day and I have paid for a license. Definitely interested in seeing this fixed.

Yes OpenStreetMap works but does not have satellite imagery. Is there an alternate source of satellite imagery available within in SportTracks for Windows?

Thanks!
dmkp621

Postby texmurphy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:47 am

I made the edit to change 3 to 3.34 and I can now display google maps.
Thanks for your efforts and hopefully an update to ST3 will solve this long term.

ST3 should have an interim update to make this change for users so they don't have do the code edit.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby froggyranita » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:09 pm

It works for me too on ST3 Rev 3.1.5770.
Thanks a lot for sharing.

By the way, i don't use the latest ST3 version as from Rev 3.1.5770 shortcuts to folders are not listed anymore when importing data, only the files are displayed.
This issue has been reported quite sometimes ago, but was and will probably never get fixed

Pascal
froggyranita

Postby medwriter » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:05 pm

Thanks, IAmFedUpWithThis! I appreciate your efforts.

Hoping a permanent solution is found. I have been using ST since 2006...lots of data in there. I hope to continue using it.
medwriter

Postby admin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:21 pm

This issue is fixed in ST3 v3.1.7002. Install the update here: SportTracks | Product Support | Download Software Updates
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rob Holtman » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:50 am

I install de new update, google maps is still not working (I do not have a API-key). De 'online' button in options is removed ?
Rob Holtman

Postby afv1980 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:55 pm

The update worked for me. I would like to thank the developers for their quick solution to the problem in spite of the non active developing status of ST3
afv1980

Postby swehjo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:45 pm

Updated to latest versions but get a dialog box with "This page can't load Google Maps correctly." plus OK-button every time I start or change map type. The maps are also marked with "For development purposes only". Not such a big deal but rather annoying...
swehjo

Postby afv1980 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:49 pm

swehjo wrote:Updated to latest versions but get a dialog box with "This page can't load Google Maps correctly." plus OK-button every time I start or change map type. The maps are also marked with "For development purposes only". Not such a big deal but rather annoying...

I think you need to download and apply an API key. There are instructions in other threads.
afv1980

Postby Elsdorfer » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:23 am

I've installed ST3 v3.1.7002 and the maps issue is fixed. However, whenever I open ST3 I get a 'script error' message
script_error.png
Script error
script_error.png (16.15 KiB) Viewed 1931 times

Any idea what causes this?
Elsdorfer

Postby atterbiker » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:57 am

Rob Holtman wrote:I install de new update, google maps is still not working (I do not have a API-key).

Same here, but i have an API-Key
atterbiker

Postby chanley » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:24 pm

The 3.1.7002 update fixed the map issue in my particular case. No script errors. Thanks!
chanley

Postby admin » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:29 am

The Google Maps API incompatibility issue is fixed.

If you're still having problems seeing a blank background using Google Maps in 3.1.7002 double check to make sure the software updated correctly. You should see version 3.1.7002 listed in System > Settings and by all the SportTracks plugins. You may also need to double check your security, virus, trojan software to make sure the app isn't blocked. And also make sure you've actually selected a Google Maps background in the mapping pane and don't have "NONE" selected (a very common user mistake)

There was a workaround hack posted earlier that involved manually changing some installation files. If you followed that info you need to completely uninstall and reinstall the app as Windows may have been confused by the change in binary files and refused to update your Google Maps plugin.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Julian Moore » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:35 pm

Having upgraded to 3.1.7002, I have now lost the "Online" option from "Select View" in the Other Tasks pane. Is there another place to access the plugins/ forum from ST3?
Julian Moore

Postby Damon Brinson » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:07 pm

Just now upgraded to ST3 v3.1.7002 and get this error every time a map is displayed:

"(!) Oops! Something went wrong. This page didn't load Google Maps correctly. See the JavaScript console for technical details."

Then, if I click on a different entry in the Daily Activity view, I get this pop-up error:

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Clicking the Details button reveals a lot of debugging details. Happy to provide them, but they're really long, and didn't want to just dump here unsolicited.

Really appreciate any help. ST3 is essentially unusable with the error message popping up every time I click something. I'll try an uninstall/reinstall and report back.
Damon Brinson

Postby gyedema » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:27 pm

Julian Moore wrote:Having upgraded to 3.1.7002, I have now lost the "Online" option from "Select View" in the Other Tasks pane. Is there another place to access the plugins/ forum from ST3?

Same here... very annoying....
gyedema
Donated!
Donated!

Next

Return to Questions