Cannot file GF310XT .fit-files after updating GarminExpress

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Cannot file GF310XT .fit-files after updating GarminExpress

Postby ciczack » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:58 am

Today I updated GarminExpress. After that I cannot find a number of workouts I uploaded from my GF310XT. The address I have used when importin into ST used to be C:\ProgramData\Garmin\GarminConnect\Forerunner 910XT-3865497578\FIT_TYPE_4. But no new files can be seen there.

It appears that I knew folder has been created after the update: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Garmin\3865497578. But I cannot find any .fit-files there.

I checked in GarminConnect, and the new workouts were visible there, so they have been transfered from the watch.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Stefan
ciczack

Re: Cannot file GF310XT .fit-files after updating GarminExpr

Postby Marc Pollaris » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:56 am

I have the same problem after this update.

Does anybody have a clue how to solve this annoying issue. I searched the web but could not find a fix to this. Indeed the training files are uploaded to Garmin Connect so they must be available. Garmin and software always trouble......

Marc
Marc Pollaris

Postby rogerpgvg » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:21 am

Same problem here. Not really a solution, but I have exported the .fit files from Garmin Connect. It's a bit of a nuisance though.
rogerpgvg

Postby Torgo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:19 am

Same issue but I use a an old 405. Garmin Express is updated but last ST update was pre Garmin and ST software updates. Hope the memory in my watch doesn't get full before this bug gets fixed!
Torgo

Postby admin » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:29 am

Check the Garmin Express forums for solutions: https://forums.garmin.com/forum/garmin- ... express-pc

You can download your workout file manually from the Garmin Connect website for your backups or manual import.

If you want to streamline your workflow and save some time and fuss the SportTracks online platform offers an auto-sync feature.
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ciczack » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:13 pm

So I received some feedback from Garmin support:

Files should be imported to a folder under:
C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Devices\[unit-ID]\Sync\Download
Oddly, they said that the structure under the download folder could vary between units. I could find folders for both Type4 and Type9-files, but they were all empty.

I wrote back to Garmin and received the same advice as given above in this thread that I can export manually from Garmin Connect, which, I agree, is a nuisance.

They further wrote that the files might end up in some (unmentioned) other library. Moreover, it might be the case that files are deleted after only being temporarily created on my hard drive (again unclear where).

I'm a bit frustrated by that reply. It can't be possible that Garmin produces software that randomly puts fit-files in different folders or that they randomly on some computers decide to delete the .fit-files.

I have written to them again, stay tuned...
ciczack

Postby eborremans » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:14 pm

Hello, I've got the same problem. Have you heard back from Garmin?

I'm trying a plugin in the meantime, from old_man_biking, but that trial version expires in a month and there doesn't seem to be a way to purchase new activation keys. I've PM'ed him to see if this was truly the case.

I might contact Garmin too, to see if they react when more people complain.

But I'm getting tired of Garmin and their closed model, so I'm considering another brand of watch.

E
eborremans
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:55 pm

A solution has been posted above for some time ago. You can either manually download a FIT file from Garmin Connect, or upgrade to the latest online version of the SportTracks platform that supports auto sync with no manual steps needed.

But I'm getting tired of Garmin and their closed model, so I'm considering another brand of watch

Simply untrue. Garmin has provided a partner data API for many years now that SportTracks and others have integrated with to share user workout and health data. Among the major vendors - Garmin, Suunto, Polar - Garmin stands above the rest in terms of ability to get your data into advanced analysis tools.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby eborremans » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:12 pm

Thank you for answering. You do have a fair point that Garmin opens their data to other parties through APIs, but it still forces you to upload activities to the cloud, which I have reluctantly done until now but would prefer not to. If only because I lost the ability to sync while traveling to internet free destination.

I prefer to stay away from the cloud as much as I can. I'm very happy with my local version of Sporttracks and do not wish to have to subscribe to its online version. I was an early supporter of the ST software and it has served me wonderfully for years, I hope the offline version will continue to live.

There is indeed a manual workaround of using Garmin Express and then downloading each activity and uploading into ST, but that is reduced functionality compared to what I originally had when purchasing the watch. So Garmin lost points there. Nevermind that I can't download activities in bulk (in all fairness I didn't invest too much time investigating that one).

In the meantime my search has led me to a download of Ant Agent that actually serves my purpose. And frees me from the cloud. If that keeps working, ironically Garmin will have pushed me away from their cloud offering by making it harder to stay off it with their latest update that broke the local file saving "feature" that I was relying on (together with others if I believe complaints on forums).

So all is good for now, no cloud, no additional manual steps, and if I can get in touch with OMB, maybe I can even skip the file import step. I'm hopeful.

Sporttracks still rocks!

Cheers,

E
eborremans
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:09 am

Great to hear!

Take care of that watch - if it's the internet itself you're opposed to, every major vendor has switched over to web based software LONG ago.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chuck919 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:14 am

Hi,

"eborremans" - please post the location to find the Ant Agent you had mentioned.

Per Admin comment of Garmin having an open system - I contacted Garmin Support and after several emails, I was finally sent the following message "I do apologize, this does appear to be "by design" and there is not a way to reinstall an older version of Express".

This indicates Garmin has purposely abandoned their customers who depend on the local creation of .fit files. I work out every day and the idea of needing to go to Garmin Connect to export files, sometimes twice per day, is onerous and decreases the value of SportTracks and all other applications that depend on those files. Realistically, unless there is an alternative, I may be forced to abandon SportTracks.

Alternatively, the Garmin install files for all previous versions of Garmin Express are present in the Garmin folders on my system (C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Application\Application_Application.express-windows.6.13.1.0\omt\express\windows\6.13.1.0). Does anyone have a procedure to delete the current version and fall back to the previous version of Ganmin Express?

C
chuck919

Postby CHRIS BRADFIELD » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:46 am

I've found a workaround.

If you change the permissions on

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Devices\<deviceID>\Sync\FIT_TYPE_4
(change FIT_TYPE_4 to whatever's appropriate for your device e.g. FIT_TYPE_9)

so that inheritance is disabled, and the Windows user as whom you're logged in is denied delete permissions on all files in the folder, then Garmin Express will claim that there was an error synching (because it couldn't delete the file), but if you copy the file from that folder to another one and then change the extension to .FIT, you'll be able to import it into SportTracks.

e.g. on my machine, the Everyone group has full control, CREATOR OWNER has all permissions except delete and delete subfolders and files, and my own user also has all permissions except delete and delete subfolders and files.

Icacls output

MYDOMAIN\MYUSER:(OI)(CI)(DENY)(D)
Everyone:(OI)(CI)(RX,W,WDAC,WO)
MYDOMAIN\MYUSER:(RX,W,WDAC,WO)
CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX,W,WDAC,WO)
CHRIS BRADFIELD

Postby chuck919 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:29 pm

After trying all the workarounds and my most convincing arguments to Garmin Support, I tried looking at the online SportTracks applet once again. I am very impressed and find it much slicker and easier to use than the PC-based app or the Garmin or PolarPro apps.

My compliments to Team SportTracks! The online app makes my twice per day entries much more convenient and the upload of historical data went seamlessly and efficiently, although I sure wish I could have limited how much history was uploaded. I really like the Dashboard as it is very much superior to the Garmin online dashboard. The ability to add manual activities such as redundant workouts is much easier than the old Edit>Duplicate functionality. I no longer have to deal with importing files and adding details, and the maps are back without the Google watermarks.

Please keep up the good work!

A very satisfied customer.
Chuck
chuck919

Postby eborremans » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:05 pm

Hello all,

Apologies for not responding earlier, for some reason I didn't get a mail notification about newer posts. That or they went to my spam folder which is possible. Probably error on my side :D

I found this wonderful link while searching for my solution:
[website removed]

I ran the installer in compatibility mode, then followed prompts on screen and everything worked like a charm. I am now free of the cloud solutions, until this stops working obviously.

It's not that much that I don't want cloud. It's that I want things to function off the grid TOO.

Anyway, to each is own. If this link helps, good.

Happy staying fit everyone,

Eric
eborremans
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:23 am

Admin Note:

I've removed the link to a suspicious looking website with executable files in the post above. We can't verify the identity or security of the links and won't take the risk to provide links to possible trojan apps.

If you're looking for more info, please contact @eborremans directly
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chuck919 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:13 am

Garmin has made a decision to reverse their decision to restrict access to the .fit files per email below!

Dear Charles,

The issue of Garmin files being stored to your personal computer has been a conversation topic amongst several groups at Garmin as of recently. A decision today has been made to restore functionality like it was before for you to store local files to your computer. The privacy policy changes do not effect U.S or Canada customers. I have been told to expect this change to happen in May of next month with an update to Garmin Express. We are always looking to improve our products, features and processes. Thank you for taking the time to give us the feedback that led to this change. If you still have any questions or concerns, please reply back to me.

Best Regards,
Steve Jensen
Product Support Team Leader
Salem Contact Center

2345 Turner Road S.E | Salem, OR 97302, USA | Office: 503.566.9325 |Cell: 503.302.2988
Email: Steven.Jensen@garmin.com
chuck919

Postby eborremans » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:56 am

Thanks for posting that update!

Ant Agent has been working well for me in the meantime, so I'm still happily using the desktop version of SportTracks.

However as it has since been announced that desktop SportTracks will reach end of life next year, I'm eager to hear about alternatives that do not involve a cloud/internet based solution. I've done some googling and found one candidate but I still need to test it out. I won't post it here out of courtesy to Aaron/ZoneFiveSoftware but PM me if you are interested.

I'll be very sad to leave SportTracks.

Cheers,

E
eborremans
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Questions