ST3 Effectively dead

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

ST3 Effectively dead

Postby philipshambrook » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:01 pm

No, or at least very little, interaction on the forums.

Even less support/updates for ST3 and plugins.

ST.mobi looked promising but pales into comparison with Strava in terms of social connectivity. The analysis is there for a subscription.

After many years with ST3 and ST.mobi since its inception, I am thinking it's time to move on. :?:
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Re: ST3 Effectively dead

Postby gerhard » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:47 pm

ST is still where I analyze my data.
I use Strava for the "flyby" and social stuff, but the analysis is not to my liking.
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby ksherman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:52 am

Certainly agree that ST is looking abandoned. It still has the better interface and analysis than mobi. Mobi is fine for having a quick check of the weekly or monthly progress but for me the main reason to use mobi is to have ST update automatically. If I don't use ST I don't think I would use mobi, so really there is value in it being nursed along a bit.
The StravistiX extension in Chrome for Strava does add some analysis that is not bad, still WIP though.
Keith Sherman
Garmin Edge 800, Garmin Fenix3
Trek Domane 2016
Specialized Roubaix SL3 '11
Specialized Epic '15
ksherman
Donated!
Donated!

Postby GaryS » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:52 am

philipshambrook wrote:No, or at least very little, interaction on the forums.

Even less support/updates for ST3 and plugins.

ST.mobi looked promising but pales into comparison with Strava in terms of social connectivity. The analysis is there for a subscription.

After many years with ST3 and ST.mobi since its inception, I am thinking it's time to move on. :?:

I've drawn same conclusion. FIT 2.0 files, including Garmin CIQ fields, cannot be read by ST3 without OMB plug-ins, and he's shut down his site.

I've started using Runalyze - very nice cloud implementation and free, at least for now.

Actually, if there were an app to sync Garmin Connect to ST3 (without having to pay for or use ST mobi) that would be a great solution.
GaryS
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Yannos » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:59 am

I also confirm I have the feeling that ST is dying.
Some major plugins I have paid for ( ie OMB ones) are not updated anymore and I wonder how long will it last. No one at ST seems to take it into consideration. May be it's a financial issue! I really regret my lack of skills in computing and programming and not be able to take over this abandoned (but paid!!!) plugins
Yannos
Donated!
Donated!

Postby philipshambrook » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:10 am

Nothing goes forever. it's been a good run. We have to move with the times. Sadly I think ST is getting left behind. Social interaction seems to be the drive now and Strava is leading the way there. ST.mobi might be a good platform, but without the social interaction it's 'lonely'.
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Yannos » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:11 am

philipshambrook wrote:Nothing goes forever. it's been a good run. We have to move with the times. Sadly I think ST is getting left behind. Social interaction seems to be the drive now and Strava is leading the way there. ST.mobi might be a good platform, but without the social interaction it's 'lonely'.

I think that Strava is totally different from ST3 which, for me, remains the best appli to organize, manage and create tracks. I am definitely not interested in challenging with others guys.
And one of the most fantastic point of ST is the plugins you can add. Some are fantastic. I sincerelly hope that ST 3 will be able to go on. I am prepared to use it for the next 60 years, at least!
Yannos
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Christian123 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:13 am

I'm also very disappointed. For IQ-Fields I need the OMB plugins, but I can't buy these anymore. So I can't use save IQ-data...
For me ST3 ist the best application. I'm also using runalyze, a very good online solution. I'm imported all activities from last year, but in Sporttracks I have all data from last 7 years.
I'm quite sure, sporttrack dies...
Christian
Christian123

Postby whiskywheels » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:05 am

Yannos wrote:I think that Strava is totally different from ST3 which, for me, remains the best appli to organize, manage and create tracks. I am definitely not interested in challenging with others guys. And one of the most fantastic point of ST is the plugins you can add. Some are fantastic. I sincerelly hope that ST 3 will be able to go on. I am prepared to use it for the next 60 years, at least!

I'm with you there. I've been using ST3 for 12 years and am perfectly happy with it, although for route creation I use RWGPS, but the data analysis is perfect; where was that route I did in the Ardeche 5 years ago, how long did it take me to ascend Mont Ventoux as I'm going there again next week etc.? I don't like subscription model payments, and prefer a one off payment; with ST3 I've purchased a license (well 2 actually) and expect it to continue working. A post from admin on the ST3 forum a few years ago assured people that ST3 wasn't about to go away and would continue to be supported.
I grudgingly pay for mobi as well. It's quite good, but I prefer ST3. Depending on the exchange rate, it costs a mere £28 a year*. I only use it because my Edge 820 syncs with Garmin Connect app on my phone, then Connect syncs with mobi, then mobi syncs with ST3........which is where I wanted it in the first place. What a convoluted process!

*An issue with paying in foreign currency ($35) is that most UK card providers will offer a poor exchange rate in addition to charging a foreign transaction fee. Fortunately I have Post Office credit card which is fee free, and offers very good exchange rates.
whiskywheels

Postby Yannos » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:34 am

I totally agree with you, Whiskywheels, perhaps, if each of us writes on the forum this willing to see ST3 continue, maybe everything is not lost!
Yannos
Donated!
Donated!

Postby whiskywheels » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:38 am

Yannos wrote:I totally agree with you, Whiskywheels, perhaps, if each of us writes on the forum this willing to see ST3 continue, maybe everything is not lost!

I started another thread as there's a few different posts about ST3, and thought we should have a specific thread..........or maybe it should just be part of the ST3 effectively dead thread :lol: Whatever.
whiskywheels

Postby admin » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:42 pm

Apologies I just saw this longer thread. You can see our support commitment to ST3 and future product vision at my reply here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17902&p=92717&sid=2624f7565170a5de853ff53ad9ded188#p92717

I see Strava being mentioned here several times so I thought I would chime in. I would agree with @Yannos. Strava has publicly stated their goal is to be "the facebook of fitness". I take their word at face value and agree based on where their priorities seem to be, as well as how they've been venture funded. If you're looking for a facebook of fitness Strava is a great choice. No question.

OTOH if you're looking to do any serious analysis or more complex data management, planning, communication with your coach, swim analysis, etc - you will quickly find the limitations of Strava enfuriating. The good news is you don't need to choose. The free version of Strava makes a great companion to SportTracks for people who want stronger tech features. If you're a premium Strava user you can basically get many many more features for the same price or less with SportTracks. It's not even comparable from the analysis and tracking perspective, especially if you're a multi-sport athlete.
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby whiskywheels » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:12 am

Thanks to admin for the helpful and positive response and link!
whiskywheels

Postby rjsa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:37 pm

So it's dead.
rjsa

Postby RogC » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:11 pm

No meaningful functionality updates to the desktop version since .........

I used to call it my "golden copy" & used every day, but now only add activities as and when i remember monthly. Its a shame, this was the best training software around, until it withered as all the focus went on a website.
RogC
Donated!
Donated!

Postby whiskywheels » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:41 am

What is all this nonsense about it being dead? We've been given an updated reassurance that it will continue with full support.
It has, and always did have, all the 'functionality' I ever needed, so apart from bug fixes there's no need for updates. If you like your software to be constantly changing with ever more gimmicks that's up to you, but with ST3 there are plenty of plugins if you want to add more and more features.
Many of us here have been using ST3 for years and will continue to do so, and the obsession with everything having to be 'moving with the times' (whatever that means) leads to the irritating equivalent of walking into your front room and finding the furniture's been moved around for no beneficial purpose.
There's nothing to stop 'social ineteraction' with ST3, you can share rides, data etc. Or you could actually meet up with a friend and go for a ride together.
whiskywheels

Postby philipshambrook » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:23 am

I'm one of those long-term users. But 'old' does not, and should not have to mean old. It has to move with the times. If my 12-yr old software cannot work with current technologies and changed files types then where are we? ST3 is not yet dead, but it's on the way to dying.

As for bug fixes, let's have them. For instance, this is unresolved from August last year - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17852

I'd like to stop having to worry about logbook size.

Twelve years ago social interaction like Strava didn't exist. It does now. Times change. Needs change. Fair enough, ST3 is great for the data analysis, when you can get files in.

Where is the support? Ah yes, we've just had an update. I am grateful.
Last edited by philipshambrook on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Christian123 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:12 am

For me there isn't an maintanance. Under maintanance I understand, that I can use the app as before. Example: Since a 8 month I'm using my Forerunner 935 with sporttracks. Garmin added the running power IQ. It's ok, if I can't use it with sporttracks. That would be a new feature. But I expect, that I can import the fit files as before. Garmin changed the fit format and under maintanance I understand, that sporttracks can handle the changed fit format.
As result I can't use running power nowhere, if I use sporttracks.
The import as txc or gpx is no solution, because I have to correct the summary values by hand.

It's just a thing of prioritisation. ST mobi can handle it and the Garmin fit device plugin can also handle it. If I ask, ST team recommends to switch to mobi. But I don't like mobi.

For me ST dies in rates.

Christian
Christian123

Postby philipshambrook » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:03 am

And a map error now. Will there be a fix for this?
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby alanwestwood » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:04 am

For me the pity of it is that ST3 and mobi seem to be more or less independent tools, and you choose which one suits you best - they swap data but do not even look slightly alike and are not at all similar to use. Again for me, mobi has a superb interface which I really like, but ST3 I find a pig to use these days partly because it crashes with some features, especially those supplied by plugins and it doesn't even have basic export functions and weather data without them.

I have to admit I don't use either now, because mobi without ST3 offers not that much more than a host of other websites, and ST3 is just too outdated and frustrating to use. A revamp of ST3 to make it more compatible to mobi would have me buying a new licence and subscription instantly (though I think myself that the desktop tool should be free for subscription purchasers).
alanwestwood
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:53 am

alanwestwood wrote:For me the pity of it is that ST3 and mobi seem to be more or less independent tools, and you choose which one suits you best - they swap data but do not even look slightly alike and are not at all similar to use. Again for me, mobi has a superb interface which I really like, but ST3 I find a pig to use these days partly because it crashes with some features, especially those supplied by plugins and it doesn't even have basic export functions and weather data without them.

I have to admit I don't use either now, because mobi without ST3 offers not that much more than a host of other websites, and ST3 is just too outdated and frustrating to use. A revamp of ST3 to make it more compatible to mobi would have me buying a new licence and subscription instantly (though I think myself that the desktop tool should be free for subscription purchasers).

Your assessment that SportTracks doesn't offer "that much more than a host of other websites" is factually inaccurate. Horribly so! :shock: That is probably a failure on our part to illustrate those features. And oddly, it does nearly everything the ST3 app does, fully integrated, and much much more... Hmm.... :?:

We agree that SportTracks is a much better interface than the ST3 PC app! Thanks for the compliment. There's a lot of UX improvements we aim to make in 2018 here and there.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alanwestwood » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:54 am

Sorry Admin, I didn't phrase that well :(

I should really have said that for me personally mobi doesn't offer much more - simply because I don't need much more and haven't looked for it. I fully accept that mobi does have a lot of functionality that is not exactly hidden as you say, but the interface is so intuitive that it does what I need exceptionally well without my having to go deep. Its just that a better desktop app would be a game changer for me as I live in a rural area with slow or occasionally absent broadband access - 4G is available and better but very much more expensive!
alanwestwood
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ViDi0T » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:29 pm

I am a long time user if ST3 desktop as well. I too, am very disappointed with the lack of continued development and support (plugins) for ST3. I also pay for Mobi but really only use it to sync my workouts with ST3. Most of the time if I want to look at my workouts on-line I just use Garmin Connect.

I bought a new PC in the fall and I was not able to download all the previous plugins (shame on me for not downloading and saving the installers in the past!). The more ST3 breaks the more it will drive me to seek a new platform. At that point I will also drop Mobi.

I would be fine with some sort of annual subscription for some real development of ST3 (not just fixing things that break).
ViDi0T
Donated!
Donated!

Death by a thousand cuts

Postby philipshambrook » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:38 am

So today ST3 wouldn't start due to some issues with the Pool Swimming Plugin. I've had to de-activate that. Issues with the Apply Routes Plugin mean that I can no longer use that for maps.

It really is getting to the stage where I will pull the plug on ST3. Probably no bad thing as it is the only reason I have Parallels running on my Mac anyway. When I do pull ST3, I will also drop .mobi for both my wife and I.

Pity as it's been a long and useful relationship. I accept there are things that .mobi do better than Garmin Connect and Strava, but not enough to warrant me paying a subscription.
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:36 am

Glad we could be part of your training story for so long. :D

If you're unsatisfied with your options or your needs change I hope you'll check us out again. We will be here!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Questions