[3.1] Display GPX track in ST

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

[3.1] Display GPX track in ST

Postby the5krunner » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:36 pm

I manually created a GPX track in plotaroute.com (quite nice as it didn't force the route to follow roads)

I saved it as a GPX file.

When I import the GPX into ST3.1 it says imported but with no data. Nothing seems to be there. (which I think from memory is normal behaviour??)

I assume it is not saved anywhere else in ST?

Basically I want to be able to have that route/track saved as I would any other exercise file in ST3 but with just the GPS track

Reason why I'm doing it:
I then want to use the overlay plugin to compare the GPX track to tracks I create from 'proper' workouts.

Essentially it is part of a GPS accuracy test. The GPX file should be 'correct', I want to see how various watches differ tot hat GPX track

I specifically want to keep using the overlay plugin and not use other plugins in this instance (I'm sure someone will recommend trails :-) )
the5krunner

Re: [3.1] Display GPX track in ST

Postby gerhard » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:30 pm

ST imports GPX tracks, not GPX routes by default.
You can use GPSBabel to convert (the stand alone program, not ST plugin what I know) to convert to GPX track format.
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby texmurphy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:52 pm

Why not just use the track/route creation available in ST3 itself?
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby the5krunner » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:36 am

texmurphy wrote:Why not just use the track/route creation available in ST3 itself?

hi
ty for the reply.
not sure it will do what I want
the track is created manually. it is not created from something I have run.
I want the track to be EXACTLY how it should be rather than exactly how the device I ran with thought it should be. for example it involves running through a 100m long tunnel
the5krunner

Postby the5krunner » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:41 am

gerhard wrote:ST imports GPX tracks, not GPX routes by default.
You can use GPSBabel to convert (the stand alone program, not ST plugin what I know) to convert to GPX track format.

ah ty. I should have known that. fitfiletools too.

problem I now have is that the track I created in this plotaroute software took quite a long time to do properly. however now when it is converted and imported into st3.1 it does NOT MATCH THE ROADS/TRACKS on sporttracks' 2016 google imagery maps. it seems to be up to 5m out. I sort of appreciate that the "satellite map" might not 'map' precisely to lat/lon coordinates.

any pointers appreciated as to how I can MANUALLY create a route that will exactly map the map in st3.1
the5krunner

Postby texmurphy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:23 pm

ST3 allows you to either do "autoroute" with a distance from the centerline of the roadway, or manual plot which does trackpoint to trackpoint as you click on the map. This will work for the 100m tunnel (although gps in a tunnel will give you recording anomalies).

It is very difficult to match google map to long/lat coordinates since you are dealing with spherical projection onto a 2D surface. It will also vary if you are working north/south vs east/west. Plus street will not match terrain will not match satellite ... Especially at the 3 to 5 meter level.

I have attached an old utility which converts gpx to either (old format) garmin history (.hst) or garmin course (.crs) files. The output can be loaded into ST3. This is a very useful and simple program you might find of value. It will not read .tcx or .fit
Gpx2Crs.zip
Old gps/hst/crs convertor from 2006 - I don't remember author.
(34.74 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby tndmbkr » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:11 pm

When you Google for accuracy google maps you will find many hits from people who think the accuracy of Google Maps is satisfacory.
But not very good.

These are not observations from runners with a consumer GPSdevice.
You may want to read
D. Potere, Horizontal Positional Accuracy of Google Earth’s High-Resolution Imagery Archive, Sensors 2008, 8, 7973-7981.
He ended up with a root-mean square error (RMSE) accuracy of 22.8 meters.

S.C. Benker et al., Positional accuracy of the Google Earth terrain model derived from stratigraphic unconformitiesin the Big Bend region, Texas, USA. Geocarto International 2011, 26, 1–13.
Here the authors find a horizontal position accuracy of 2.64 m RMSE with a mean offset distance being of about 7m w.r.t. a high accurate terrain model.
tndmbkr

Return to Questions