Distance off after import to ST

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Distance off after import to ST

Postby easterbird » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:36 pm

I recently changed my tires to 700x28. I changed the value in Garmin edge 800 Bike settings to 2136 per info I found about this tire. Also changed the tires info on equipment page and in GPS Power track(Had to fudge here since my brand wasn't there but used the one 700x28 tire listed). When I import my Garmin ride into ST, the distance value on Garmin is 25.04 but after I import, it becomes 24.4. On main daily activity page( for box labeled data)if I toggle to use manually entered value the 25.04 is there and 24.4 is the calculated value but I cannot find why this is happening. I was riding on 700x25 until mid October this year. I looked back and all distance values were quite close if I toggle between manually entered and use calculated.... prior to my tire change.
Anyone know what other settings I need to address in ST to get credit for the miles I ride:-)
easterbird
easterbird
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Distance off after import to ST

Postby texmurphy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:04 pm

Always best to do a rollout measure for several tire revolutions. Mark straight line on floor and with tire valve at start, roll through 3 revolutions. Measure distance and divide by three. Best if you are on the bike!
I am sure you know all this and likely the result will be close to the various printed tables which all say 2136.
So double check the garmin is actually 2136.

Check your garmin's auto-pause speed. I use 3.3 kmh (~2 mph). Be sure the "when stopped" speed in SportTracks is the same as the garmin.

Garmin with the speed sensor uses the sensor for distance/speed. SportTracks uses only the gps track for speed and distance. So your stopped time in ST may not equal your stopped time on the garmin. Also quality of the gps track can add distance if it is real poor - but not in this case soince ST reports less.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Distance off after import to ST

Postby easterbird » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:12 pm

Many thanks for your response! I checked that I have 2136 entered in Garmin. I have auto pause on Garmin set at"When Stopped". In ST, categories, for cycling, speed is my choice and for the stopped I have a value of 1. These values are all the same since I set up the Garmin a long time ago ....I had a heck of a time now trying to find them to check 'em :) Where is the "when stopped" speed located in ST or is that the value where I have 1? Should that be zero?

On your suggestion to check the rolling measurement for the tire value: Too lazy to do that BUT...Garmin has a choice of manual or automatic. I decided to try automatic and just did a circuit of 1.5 miles and automatic says my tire is 2097 not 2136. Applying that correction to my distance discrepancies indeed vindicates ST(at least for now since I'll check this again another day) It's getting dark here now. Thanks Texmurphy!!
easterbird
easterbird
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Questions