Suunto Ambit Import problems

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Suunto Ambit Import problems

Postby Doug Smith » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:31 am

Hello,
When I import a workout from my Suunto Ambit 3 watch, my speed initially shows correctly in ST. If I save the logbook and then close and open ST and the workout, all speed data is gone.

When I import a workout via choosing the Suunto sml file and picking "Suunto Data File", the import seems to work okay. I can save the logbook, exit and restart and the workout is still there.

The original Suunto sml data file contains speed data. It looks like ST does not store this. Instead it keeps time and distance data, and computes speed. I wonder if this causes me problems later when I want to use the speed to calculate a power track (these workouts are from an indoor trainer where I can calculate power from speed).

I'm attaching a fitlog file from importing directly from the watch after re-opening (speed data does not get shown in ST), an image of ST speed that shows the speed data is not being shown, a fitlog from importing via Suunto data file (which seems to work), and the actual Suunto sml data file.
Attachments
Suunto.zip
(109.42 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
Doug Smith

Re: Suunto Ambit Import problems

Postby admin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:25 am

ST3 only stores distance, not speed.
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Suunto Ambit Import problems

Postby Doug Smith » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:20 pm

The .sml file has a speed tag in it. Is that a tag generated by Moveslink, and the watch itself doesn't contain speed info?

Why does speed information show up in ST when the workout is first imported from the watch, but after saving, closing and re-opening the speed info is lost?

thanks
Doug Smith

Return to Questions