Work flow to get Apple Watch data into SportTracks

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Work flow to get Apple Watch data into SportTracks

Postby pkshooter » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:16 pm

Now that Apple Watches have a GPS, I Have considered getting rid of my buggy Garmin products and moving to the new Apple Watch. I'm not aware of a direct way to download workout data from the Apple Watch to SportTracks. Does anyone have a work around they have used successfully. Ideally, Id like to be able to enter the GPS track and HR data into SportTracks. Note: I would not want to run with my phone, so please avoid solutions that would require me to carry my phone.
pkshooter
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Work flow to get Apple Watch data into SportTracks

Postby ksherman » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:36 am

It's probably more a question for the Apple watch forums. IS there anyway at all to get a tcx file off the watch? To anywhere?
Keith Sherman
Garmin Edge 800, Garmin Fenix3
Trek Domane 2016
Specialized Roubaix SL3 '11
Specialized Epic '15
ksherman
Donated!
Donated!

Postby pkshooter » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 pm

I'll try to find an Apple Watch forum that can answer my question. At this point I'm not sure that the Apple Watch even generates a file of GPS & heart rate data over time for the duration of an activity or whether it just stores the last few data points and is constantly writing new data over the old. If the latter is true, then I guess he only option would be have the phone along during the workout to record the data continuously. Initially I was thinking the new Apple Watch w/ GPS should be able to take over the fitness GPS Watch segment, but if the Apple Watch doesn't have a way to locally store the data, then that is a significant shortcoming.
pkshooter
Donated!
Donated!

Postby the5krunner » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:57 am

I don't know the answer

but doesn't the apple watch store RUN data in an app (if not I would imagine you could use the nike app on the watch)

you can then sync the nike app using fitnesssyncer.com I seem to remember 9else syncmytracks app, tapiriik will find a way)

for health data then it would be on the apple health platforma nd, again, fitnesssyncer might help.

i'm just saying all of this from what I can remember READING somewhere. just trying to help. could be wrong
the5krunner

Postby philipshambrook » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:52 pm

pkshooter wrote:I'll try to find an Apple Watch forum that can answer my question. At this point I'm not sure that the Apple Watch even generates a file of GPS & heart rate data over time for the duration of an activity or whether it just stores the last few data points and is constantly writing new data over the old. If the latter is true, then I guess he only option would be have the phone along during the workout to record the data continuously. Initially I was thinking the new Apple Watch w/ GPS should be able to take over the fitness GPS Watch segment, but if the Apple Watch doesn't have a way to locally store the data, then that is a significant shortcoming.

Lots of discussion about this in the Garmin Forums, especially from people who are unhappy with their Garmins. Suffice it to say, I think Apple need to do a lot more before Garmin, Polar, et al begin to feel threatened. Not least, in regards to battery life.

I hope you succeed in getting a file format from Apple that you can use. I am sure there are one or two others who would be interested.
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby rjsa » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:02 am

My guess would be look for 3rd party running apps. I seriously doubt Apple will share data collected through their software in any shape or form.
rjsa

Return to Questions