Chrome under Win XP/Vista

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Chrome under Win XP/Vista

Postby Weath_72 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:47 am

As you may be aware Google has stopped the support of its browser under Win XP/Vista.

Unfortunately, they're persisting with an irritating info-bar that appears at the top of the browser screen each time the browser is opened to remind us :roll:

I've managed to get rid of this by using "--disable-infobars" on the target path to the chrome.exe when opening from my desktop icon however; when the browser is opened from within ST I'm still getting the same notification - this is especially irritating when using OMB's Street View plugin!

Is there anyway to disable this 'nag-ware' when Chrome is opened from within ST?

PS. No I don't want to change browser and NO I don't want to upgrade (sic) OS

Ta,

Pete.
Weath_72

Re: Chrome under Win XP/Vista

Postby philipshambrook » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:46 am

Simple. Upgrade or put up with it.
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Weath_72 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:13 am

Such a helpful and insightful comment.

If you've nothing constructive to add, why don't you keep it buttoned.
Weath_72

Postby texmurphy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:21 pm

Maybe not constructive enough but:
Since MS has discontinued all support for XP/Vista, the best current, and better then XP anyway, is Win 7 PRO/64. Then you can use the virtual machine for XP and earlier software, plus still have supported software. And not have the winTen upgrade on the fly rollercoaster of hassles.
My understanding is that ST uses IE for its browser, even if your regular default is not IE. So I am not sure how you are getting Chrome other than maybe an omb StreetView thing. I have not used StreetView. So you should inquire of omb on the plugins forum.

Win7 Pro/64 i7-930 oc'ed to 3.8 with 12G of greens on p6x58d-e from ssd
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Weath_72 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:26 am

Thanks for your comments tex - appreciated.

Hmmmmm ... I'd assumed that Chrome was being opened by ST as the error message in the Streetview plug-in is very similar to that when I open my desktop version of Chrome, maybe I'm mistaken? Although saying that, I don't see a similar notification when I use the online view from the 'main' part of ST itself...

It's a minor annoyance rather than anything else and life will go on. I was just wondering if there was a workaround or 'tweak' that anyone knew of to remove the irritation.

I run some (discontinued) professional software off this machine that does not run under compatibility mode in any of the new incarnations of Windows. I also don't do change for change sake - everything I need to be done works perfectly smoothly under my current stable environment and I have no compulsion to change (throw money) at it for no reason.

Thanks.
Weath_72

Return to Questions