Can't load TCX file

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Can't load TCX file

Postby crewnerd » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:27 pm

Hi - I'm the author of the CrewNerd application for rowers & paddlers. One of my customers reports that he is unable to load a TCX file (attached) that was exported by my application into SportTracks. The file passes XML validation and load successfully with the Garmin Training Center app. Could you take a look at the file and see what's causing the failure?

Thanks,
Tony Andrews
Performance Phones, LLC
Attachments
2016-03-28-1534.zip
TCX fails to load into SportTracks
(74.31 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
crewnerd

Re: Can't load TCX file

Postby admin » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:47 am

This file loads fine into both SportTracks and the ST3 app.

You can contact support via email for further help.
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby texmurphy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:20 pm

admin wrote:This file loads fine into both SportTracks and the ST3 app...

I found the file "loads" to ST3 but the distance is zero and the trackpoint positioning fails to load Lon/Lat.

If I load the file into Garmin Training Center then export it as a tcx, that tcx will load correctly into ST3.

It might be that CrewNerd's use of UTC offset is causing the failure. So the time is ignored by ST3.
E.g. in CrewNerd's tcx I find: <Lap StartTime="2016-03-28T15:45:40-07:00">
As exported from GTC I find: <Lap StartTime="2016-03-28T22:45:40Z">

Attached is full GTC exported tcx.
Attachments
3_28_2016 6_45_40 PM_history.zip
History loaded into GTC and then exported to tcx, shows corrected time format.
(48.9 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby staffann » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:46 pm

texmurphy wrote:
admin wrote:This file loads fine into both SportTracks and the ST3 app...

I found the file "loads" to ST3 but the distance is zero and the trackpoint positioning fails to load Lon/Lat.

Strange, it looks fine to me. Distance of 8.3 km (with my settings) and a nice GPS track.
On the ST2Funbeat development team. Author of the Svettig (jogg.se) and Compare Planned plugins.
staffann
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:44 pm

staffann wrote:Strange, it looks fine to me. Distance of 8.3 km (with my settings) and a nice GPS track.

Also looks fine in our testing environment. A row through Lake Washington - Cadence, Speed and HRM all present.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby texmurphy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:51 am

Strange , I just did a redownload from forum and import into ST3 3.1.5770. I check the Settings->Plugins and the SportTracks core plugins are all 3.1.5770. I have no trouble importing any of my regular .fit from devices or exported .tcx from GTC or Connect.
However the when I import, it shows just a single trackpoint.
Image shows ST3 native import and then the ST3 import from GTC exported tcx. Any ideas why my load fails this way?

Image1.jpg
Single point upload and upload from GTC exported tcx
Image1.jpg (227.46 KiB) Viewed 10334 times
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby crewnerd » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:08 am

Yes, it looks like importing into Garmin Training Center and exporting again produces a file that can be used successfully with SportTracks. It looks like there are two main differences between the two versions. The first one, as mentioned earlier, is my use of a timezone in the Date rather than UTC. The second is the removal of the extension elements that I use to record rowing-specific metrics like "check" and "bounce" that are unique to my application.

I added timezones at the request of other customers a couple of years ago to improve compatibility with other web sites and desktop apps. I can't go back to UTC dates without causing problems for a different set of my customers.

The rowing extensions are permitted by the TCX schema, so those should just be ignored, and so far they have been by every other web site & app that I've encountered.

I spent a LOT of time tuning my TCX export for the best possible compatibility with web sites & apps, so I have to be super careful about any changes I make there. I don't think there's anything I can do to improve compatibility with ST without breaking someone else. I hope you'll consider addressing the compatibility issues on the ST side.

Best regards,
Tony
crewnerd

Postby staffann » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:25 am

texmurphy wrote:Any ideas why my load fails this way?

I have the same versions. Only difference I can think of is that we have different time zones - I'm located in Sweden (so UTC + 1h). That shouldn't matter, but who knows...
On the ST2Funbeat development team. Author of the Svettig (jogg.se) and Compare Planned plugins.
staffann
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:28 pm

crewnerd wrote:I hope you'll consider addressing the compatibility issues on the ST side.

As mentioned in a previous reply, this actually works fine in our testing environment.

It may be related to settings your user has specified in the ST3 app. I would inspect things like stopped time detection.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kayakracer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:49 am

I'm the customer with the CrewNerd App. Still unable to directly load a CrewNerd TCX fill into SportTracks with all the data.

If I open the file in Notepad and replace every occurrence of "-07:00" with "Z" and re-save, then it loads perfectly. So it is the Time Zone offset affecting the import. Is there a way to get this to work without requiring me to modify every file before importing?

Thanks for your help. Greg
Kayak Racer
kayakracer

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:07 am

I tried to reproduce your issue and import the TCX file attached to the 1st post in this thread.
And it imports flawlessly - WITH the "...-07:00" time stamps!
No clue, why it works for me and not for you.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby kayakracer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:56 am

The un-edited (original) file loads for me as an activity, but then is blank with no distance or data.

For those of you that are able to load the original file, does it show all data in SportTracks including speed, heart-rate and cadence? If it does fully load successfully, can you tell me what settings I must have in SportTracks to make it work?

Thanks, Greg
Kayak Racer
kayakracer

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:49 am

kayakracer wrote:The un-edited (original) file loads for me as an activity, but then is blank with no distance or data.

For those of you that are able to load the original file, does it show all data in SportTracks including speed, heart-rate and cadence? If it does fully load successfully, can you tell me what settings I must have in SportTracks to make it work?

Thanks, Greg

Yes, it fully loads.
And - being a rather senior SportTracks user and plugin developer - I don't have a clue why it does for me and not for you. I don't think, it's related to ST settings.
One difference is: my Windows is set to German region and time zone settings. You could try this, it affects how date/time formats are shown and interpreted by Windows apps.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby kayakracer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:09 pm

One difference is: my Windows is set to German region and time zone settings. You could try this, it affects how date/time formats are shown and interpreted by Windows apps.

Thanks OMB! That is the problem - SportTracks does not like Pacific Time Zone! If I change to a different time zone (at least Europe or UTC) it imports correctly. Looks like I need to change time zone before starting ST and then can change back once I'm in ST. The start time of the activity is off, but easy to adjust within ST after importing as long as I remember to do it.

Thanks again!
Kayak Racer
kayakracer

Postby texmurphy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:04 pm

Also does not load the tcx correctly on Eastern US (EDT) timezone on my system. Makes me wonder what timezone the Admin test system is using that they get correct download.

staffann wrote:
texmurphy wrote:Any ideas why my load fails this way?

I have the same versions. Only difference I can think of is that we have different time zones - I'm located in Sweden (so UTC + 1h). That shouldn't matter, but who knows...
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Questions