Pace from footpod instead of device

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Pace from footpod instead of device

Postby Serban Mestecaneanu » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:38 am

Hi,

I have a question to more advance users of ST. I would like to know if there is a was to show the pace from the footpod I am using while running (in the Pace screen) instead of the pace from the device I wear. My footpod is set such way to record the speed and I can see that Garmin Connect correctly shows FP's pace so the data is there in the FIT file. I import the fit file through Garmin FIT Devices plugin.

Thanks,
meste
Serban Mestecaneanu

Re: Pace from footpod instead of device

Postby staffann » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:07 pm

If you have a pod-based speed track in the fit-file in addition to the GPS track then you can use "Garmin Fit Devices" and "Custom Data Tracks" plugins to import and display it. I use these with my Garmin FR310XT and it works very well. The foot pod gives a much more stable pace than the GPS.

Make sure that your device really can record the food pod speed while using the GPS for distance. Not all devices (even Garmin) can do that.
On the ST2Funbeat development team. Author of the Svettig (jogg.se) and Compare Planned plugins.
staffann
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Serban Mestecaneanu » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:56 pm

staffann wrote:If you have a pod-based speed track in the fit-file in addition to the GPS track then you can use "Garmin Fit Devices" and "Custom Data Tracks" plugins to import and display it. I use these with my Garmin FR310XT and it works very well. The foot pod gives a much more stable pace than the GPS.

Make sure that your device really can record the food pod speed while using the GPS for distance. Not all devices (even Garmin) can do that.

Thanks for you tip. I see I can display it. However, what I would like is to replace the main Pace screen which currently display pace from device and not have to go to Custom Data Tracks to see the FP pace.

Is it possible?
Serban Mestecaneanu

Postby the5krunner » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:38 pm

Serban Mestecaneanu wrote:Hi,

I have a question to more advance users of ST. I would like to know if there is a was to show the pace from the footpod I am using while running (in the Pace screen) instead of the pace from the device I wear. My footpod is set such way to record the speed and I can see that Garmin Connect correctly shows FP's pace so the data is there in the FIT file. I import the fit file through Garmin FIT Devices plugin.

Thanks,
meste

on a 920xt, for example, if you have a footpod you can now set it to show the instant pace from the footpod.
I think for longer periods ie laps, it will show GPS pace.

you might be able to swap the pace fields over in sporttracks - I would actually like to know how to do this too for other reasons
the5krunner

Postby staffann » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:26 pm

Serban Mestecaneanu wrote:
staffann wrote:If you have a pod-based speed track in the fit-file in addition to the GPS track then you can use "Garmin Fit Devices" and "Custom Data Tracks" plugins to import and display it. I use these with my Garmin FR310XT and it works very well. The foot pod gives a much more stable pace than the GPS.

Thanks for you tip. I see I can display it. However, what I would like is to replace the main Pace screen which currently display pace from device and not have to go to Custom Data Tracks to see the FP pace.

Is it possible?

No, that is not possible. If there is a GPS track, the pace will be taken from the GPS. There was a discussion about this a few years ago and an attempt from admin to do something similar to what you want, but for some reason there were problems and the change was pulled back.
The custom data shows pace every bit as well as the standard pace screen I think! The pie charts are nice as well. Any you can undock into a separate window.
CDT.PNG
CDT.PNG (115.45 KiB) Viewed 6318 times

I decreased the size of the window a bit from what I usually use, that is why I haven't adjusted the columns so that the contents shows properly.
On the ST2Funbeat development team. Author of the Svettig (jogg.se) and Compare Planned plugins.
staffann
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Z74 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:35 am

I'm gonna get me a foot pod soon because I want to see how it works with the F3... that despite me being totally against giving more money to a corp (garmin in this case) which made a bad GPS (Fenix3 in this case) and also despite the fact I have 100% accuracy in my runs. The explanations I took in the Garmin Forums intrigued me because they integrated it very coolly and your explanation here brings me a step further, staffan, because what Serban needs to do is exactly what I need to do.

Now I wouldn't want to be mistaken but I think Serban is the same guy who ran a track in loops on the Garmin Forums and complained about the accuracy. Is that you, Serban? :)
Z74

Postby tndmbkr » Wed May 11, 2016 7:34 am

If I have understood the thread above well, you want "cadence information" from your footpod, and speed information from your GPS track.
Which makes me wonder what will happen, if you tell your watch you are cycling instead of running.

How does a footpod makes itself identifiable for the watch?
Is that different from a cadence sensor on a bike?
tndmbkr

Postby Z74 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:54 am

He wants what he has with the Fenix3 which is a setting to display pace data from the foot pod rather than from the GPS unit in ST3.

I might be mistaken here but I think I understand that the ST3 main window will show the pace as it comes from the GPS while the detailed view of data from GFD -> Custom Data Tracks in the activity page will display the pace coming from the FP.
(Staffan can you clarify that?)

I'm wondering if this can be a ludicrous distinction: St3 uses the Google Earth algorithm to calculate distances and pace is the product of distance divided by time.

Essentially, the use of a FP comes handy when you have bad GPS tracks so the request makes a lot of sense: a well calibrated FP will be more accurate than ST3/GE, especially with the weak Fenix3 GPS, but it's a lot more valuable during the activity itself (long before you import into ST3, whatever source will be used) because the FP gives raw data (distance is always a line) while GPS gives an interpretation altered by distance accrual algorithms (and the more they intervene to mitigate the poor quality of the track, the more off this interpretation will be when compared to the raw data because here distance is almost always a curve).

EDIT: during the GPS acquisition phase, The F3 searches for all paired sensors. The sensor type is identified during the pairing phase, an ID is assigned and you can even give it a name. From that moment on, a FP is a FP and won't be used for bike activities, as long as the default activity types are used. Cadence for the runs comes from FP (secondary) and from HRM accelerometer (primary unless FP is configured as primary) but the FP won't be detected as source of cadence during a bike activity. The TYPE is handled when you create the activity in the watch so if you have a bike activity, whatever icon and name you give to it, the relevant data fields of cad/spd/dst will be taken from bike pod/gps and not from foot pod.
Z74

Postby Burnt Toast » Wed May 11, 2016 10:52 am

Z74 wrote:Essentially, the use of a FP comes handy when you have bad GPS tracks so the request makes a lot of sense: a well calibrated FP will be more accurate than ST3/GE,.

In my experience with a foot pod, it is only accurate for the pace it was calibrated at. Meaning if you calibrate it at your recovery pace, intervals will not be accurate. If you calibrate it at your 3k pace, recovery effort pace will not be accurate.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Z74 » Wed May 11, 2016 11:27 am

Burnt Toast wrote:
Z74 wrote:Essentially, the use of a FP comes handy when you have bad GPS tracks so the request makes a lot of sense: a well calibrated FP will be more accurate than ST3/GE,.

In my experience with a foot pod, it is only accurate for the pace it was calibrated at. Meaning if you calibrate it at your recovery pace, intervals will not be accurate. If you calibrate it at your 3k pace, recovery effort pace will not be accurate.

I thought the same until I was explained that the F3 + FP can somehow adapt to your pace and cadence and still be reasonably accurate when close to the calibrated values.
It's the accelerometer.
Z74

Return to Questions