Sync from Garmin Connect Down this morning?

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Sync from Garmin Connect Down this morning?

Postby samccauley » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:31 am

This is rare. I wonder if there is a server problem with the sync from Garmin Connect. My activity did not appear on sportTracks.mobi this morning.
samccauley

Re: Sync from Garmin Connect Down this morning?

Postby Pou » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:55 am

Same thing here.

It worked yesterday for one of my activity but not the other one (had to export from Garmin and import on Sporttracks) and this morning, it didn't worked either with my morning run.
Pou

Postby Scott Finch » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:15 am

Sync from Garmin Connect has not been working for me since yesterday afternoon (14:00EST).
Scott Finch

Postby admin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:33 am

We don't have any outage recorded on our servers for the last 24 hours, or any errors logged for workouts coming from Garmin.

Currently we are seeing a constant stream of sync notifications from Garmin Connect right now (several per minute). We've checked the logs, and we've been receiving sync messages from Garmin Connect and creating workouts continuously for the last 24 hours.

So at this point there doesn't seem to be any system-wide outage.

It's possible Garmin Connect had a problem, and dropped some workout syncs. Or it could be an issue with your account.

You can reset your sync account by doing the following:
1) Go to SportTracks, select "My Account" and switch to the sharing page, or go here:
https://sporttracks.mobi/user#page=sharing
2) Click the "Remove" button to remove the Garmin Connect sync.
3) Log into your Garmin Connect account, and go to the account settings and remove the connection to SportTracks also.
4) Go back to SportTracks and re-establish the sync connection to Garmin Connect
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:19 am

FYI, this forum post seems to indicate multiple problems across multiple services starting yesterday:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.ph ... r-services

I would recommend contacting Garmin support if you have sync issues, maybe they can look at your account.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:38 pm

One of our users has reported via support "it just started working again"

:?:
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby philipshambrook » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:13 pm

Not working this morning 8:am AEST (Australia). Starve connection is good, but not SportTracks.

Update 8:15 am. Just disconnected and reconnects to Garmin and still no synching
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby samccauley » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:42 am

My Tuesday morning activity did not sync from Garmin Connect to SportTracks. I removed & re-added authorization for the SportTracks app, still nothing. Today, I had two new activities that actually DID transfer just fine, but yesterday's (Tuesday's) activity was still not transferring.

I decided to give up on it and I just exported the .FIT file from Garmin Connect and imported into SportTracks. I figured if new activities were transferring and the one from yesterday wasn't, then it probably never will transfer on its own.

Since Garmin "pushes" to SportTracks, and since people on this Garmin forum thread https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?328023-Syncing-to-other-services are reporting problems syncing to other app's, I think the problem is on Garmin's side. Just FYI.
samccauley

Postby admin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:02 am

I don't believe this is a solution, but we've also had a report that a user changed their password on Garmin Connect and it seemed to fix the problem... I suspect it's coincidence.

Also, most users are reporting that the sync works, but it's delayed by 4-5 hours.

Still I would urge you to contact Garmin support. The more users they hear from, the more urgent this will become.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby samccauley » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:28 am

admin wrote:I don't believe this is a solution, but we've also had a report that a user changed their password on Garmin Connect and it seemed to fix the problem... I suspect it's coincidence.

Also, most users are reporting that the sync works, but it's delayed by 4-5 hours.

Still I would urge you to contact Garmin support. The more users they hear from, the more urgent this will become.

Can you clarify what you mean by "not a solution"? Do you just mean it's only a work-around, or is something I should be concerned about having done what I did?

I did open a support request with Garmin yesterday. If they actually fix it, should I expect: a) a duplicate copy of that activity to appear in ST; b) any edits I made after importing the .FIT file to be lost on the activity as it sits in ST now; or c) nothing because it will be detected as duplicate and therefore not sync'ed into ST?
samccauley

Postby admin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:14 am

samccauley wrote:Can you clarify what you mean by "not a solution"?

I suspect that the sync was just delayed a really long time, and them changing their password on Garmin Connect had nothing to do with it.

samccauley wrote:If they actually fix it, should I expect

We detect duplicates and don't sync - your existing workout will be preserved.

It would be great if you hear back from them to post it here, even if it's - "we know about the problem and are working on it". I'm really surprised social media isn't lighting up with comments on this.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:18 am

FYI... I just checked the twitter and there are lots and lots of reports of slow synchs across multiple platforms, so this seems to be a Garmin Connect performance problem with a long sync queue.

Also, there was a website update at Garmin Connect last weekend that introduced some bugs in synching health data. Seems related...
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby samccauley » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:31 pm

I don't see how it can simply be a "slow sync" or "long sync queue." When I looked at my Garmin Connect this morning at 7:00 am, My activity from 4:00 am this morning had sync'ed, but my activity from yesterday (Tuesday) at 4:00 am still had not synced. I think there was a "window" of sync events on Tuesday that were lost. That's my theory, anyway. :D
samccauley

Postby samccauley » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:19 pm

admin wrote:It would be great if you hear back from them to post it here, even if it's - "we know about the problem and are working on it". I'm really surprised social media isn't lighting up with comments on this.

Here's what they (Garmin) said:
Scott you have done exactly what I would have advised you to do by removing the permission and re-adding it. If the activity is showing up on Connect and not on SportTracks you may have to try that again if that doesn't work may be an issues on that end.

I don't have the energy, or inclination, to purse it further, since I have my work around. Frustrating, though.
samccauley

Return to Questions