Problem with tracks imported from Runtastic

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Problem with tracks imported from Runtastic

Postby AlexMTB » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:13 am

If I record and import a track from a proper GPS device (Garmin) the track is imported and is showed properly by ST3, but the tracks which I recorded with a smartphone and Runtastic app I don't know what Runtastic put inside the exported gpx tracks that when I import these on ST3 in the track appears a lot of pauses and maximun speed is fake(higher). It only happens me with the tracks recorded with a smarphone and runtastic (others work perfectly). I have disabled "Include stopped in time & distance totals" and "Include watch pauses in stopped totals" on ST3 My settings and I use the same settings configuration for detect stopped speed value.

Data Summary:
The real information is:

Distance = 29,27km
Total Time= 01:55:19
Stopped = 00:00:30

The track showed with a lot of fake pauses:

In "Use manually entered values" I can change Distance, Time, Climb, Calories, Avg HR and Weather but I can't change Stopped and Fastest values, anyone know how could I fix my tracks recorded from Runtastic?

Thanks.
AlexMTB

Re: Problem with tracks imported from Runtastic

Postby dirk66 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:27 am

Probably there is a difference in interpreting the gpx standard between runtastic and st. Without the file it is difficult to tell you what the problem is. If you have an other app which can record your track and has an export option. Use that app (ie strava, runkeeper). That might be the easiest solution to integrate with ST.

If you want to find out if runtastic or ST which causes your problems, try import your file at some other sites or apps. If they all show the gpx in the right way there might be something wrong at ST side. If they show the gpx like ST does, the problem might be on runtastic side.

Regards
Dirk
dirk66
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gerhard » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:09 pm

AlexMTB wrote:I have disabled "Include stopped in time & distance totals" and "Include watch pauses in stopped totals"

It seems like the GPS track has a lot of slow parts, that will be interpreted as pauses due to your settings.
One explanation is that Runtastic records all GPS points but the GPS has low accuracy and dont change much in between or that the GPS reports points with subsecond like 1.3 and 2.7 and that Runtastic rounds the values. Other apps that filters the points may not have this problem. (ST only uses seconds.)

For my phone recordings, I drop close points, this improves distance calculations too. More is not always better, Garmin Smart recording is a good thing.
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby AlexMTB » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:17 am

For my old recorded tracks with a Garmin Forerunner 305 and new recorded tracks from a Garmin Oregon 600 ST import and show fine the track pauses and fastest with my settings (I have define stopped <1,6 km/h) but with my old recorded Runtastic tracks at import on ST the track pauses and fastest is not showed correctly so the problem is in tracks recorded with Runtastic and a bad smartphone but testing I have found a solution ^_^ through ExpertGPS:

1) Open the GPX track exported from Runtastic in ExperGPS application.
2) In track menu choose "Simplify the track(Reduce the number of trackpoints)"
3) Save the new GPX file.

Result:

Real data:

Distance 45.43 km
Total Time 02:40:58
Pause 00:10:16

Before fix in ExpertGPS:

After fix in ExpertGPS:

AlexMTB

Postby admin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:27 am

Probably easiest to switch apps. All the running apps are very similar now, you can take your choice.
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Burnt Toast » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:40 am

Seems like a waste of time just to use an old app that doesn't play well with your real training and tracking software.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby AlexMTB » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:20 am

You are right. I stopped using Runtastic because their measurements with a smartphone were not good (especially the altimetry). Now I only use a real GPS device (Garmin Oregon 600) and the workouts have good information.

I did not want to lose or have them with wrong information my old workouts recorded with Runtastic so the solution has been corrected one by one the recorded workouts with the application ExpertGPS to have a proper tracks imported into ST ^_^
AlexMTB

Return to Questions