ST3: Automatic filling of the location name based on track

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Would you like an automatic filling of the location name based on the track coordenates at import?

Yes
67%
No
33%
I don't care
No votes

Total votes : 6

ST3: Automatic filling of the location name based on track

Postby AlexMTB » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:51 am

An automatic filling of the location name based on the track coordenates at import. It will be nice and useful.

AlexMTB

Re: ST3: Automatic filling of the location name based on tra

Postby Burnt Toast » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:44 am

FAQ:

7) "Import" submenu
Predefines some behaviour of SportTracks at import of activities.•"Prefill location...": In the Daily Activity view, you can assign location names to your activities in the field "Location:". If this option is checked with MLC, SportTracks will prefill the location based on previously entered location names and their corresponding GPS coordinates. It will be not necessarily correct, see it as a proposal which you can overwrite, if it does not match.
•"Prefill category...": All activities must be assigned to a particular category. Similar as above, based on categories assigned to speed/pace of particular, previous activities, SportTracks will prefill the category based on the "incoming" speed/pace, if option is checked with MLC. Also here, it is a suggestion, reassign if not matching.
•"split activities...": Will split activities with the to be entered gap in hours in 2 or more parts, if checked with MLC.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby AlexMTB » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:17 am

I did know that(I have marked those options) but I would like a prefill of activities based on gps track. If an activity is a new place it doesn't work, or if you were on holidays and you don't remember how that village was called.

Burnt Toast wrote:FAQ:

7) "Import" submenu
Predefines some behaviour of SportTracks at import of activities.•"Prefill location...": In the Daily Activity view, you can assign location names to your activities in the field "Location:". If this option is checked with MLC, SportTracks will prefill the location based on previously entered location names and their corresponding GPS coordinates. It will be not necessarily correct, see it as a proposal which you can overwrite, if it does not match.
•"Prefill category...": All activities must be assigned to a particular category. Similar as above, based on categories assigned to speed/pace of particular, previous activities, SportTracks will prefill the category based on the "incoming" speed/pace, if option is checked with MLC. Also here, it is a suggestion, reassign if not matching.
•"split activities...": Will split activities with the to be entered gap in hours in 2 or more parts, if checked with MLC.
AlexMTB

Postby gerhard » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:13 pm

This could be done with a plugin, using some GeoPosition service
But the built-in positioning based on previous tracks has a nice hierarchical functionality, you can define like Country::City
You can see the name of the place on the map too (at least with offline maps or Internet connectivity).

Related: If you have defined a Trail that match, that can fill in the Name of the activity too.
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby AlexMTB » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:51 am

Hmm that's a interesting option

gerhard wrote:This could be done with a plugin, using some GeoPosition service
But the built-in positioning based on previous tracks has a nice hierarchical functionality, you can define like Country::City
You can see the name of the place on the map too (at least with offline maps or Internet connectivity).

Related: If you have defined a Trail that match, that can fill in the Name of the activity too.
AlexMTB

Postby AlexMTB » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:01 am

I don't know why this topic was moved from Enhancements subforum to Questions forums. It's not a question, ST3 don't make an automatic filling of the location name based on track through GeoPosition service or similar. You must put manually the location names, I think this enhancement will be nice but it does not matter anyway.
AlexMTB

Postby admin » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:07 pm

ST3 automatically fills in the location name based on GEO position. Yes. Exactly. It does.
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AlexMTB » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:08 am

Then I'm a bit lost. Reading the FAQ:

"Prefill location...": In the Daily Activity view, you can assign location names to your activities in the field "Location:". If this option is checked with MLC, SportTracks will prefill the location based on previously entered location names and their corresponding GPS coordinates. It will be not necessarily correct, see it as a proposal which you can overwrite, if it does not match. "

the prefill Location is filled if there are previous activities imported with similar coordenates but if the activity is a new activity(with no previous similar activities) the location is not prefilled, Am I wrong? If I'm wrong I don't know how to do it for new activities. Could you help me? I have marked Prefill location based on GPS track option in settings like this:

and I have downloaded 3 GPX tracks(new locations not imported previously) from wikiloc to test prefill:

Berlin
http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=930889
London
http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=6416293
Rome
http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=678912

but Location field is not filled. Do I something wrong?

Best regards,

admin wrote:ST3 automatically fills in the location name based on GEO position. Yes. Exactly. It does.
Attachments
GPX_london_berlin_rome.rar
(37.89 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
AlexMTB

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:49 am

YOU can - and have to - manually enter the location for a first activity.
ST will then automatically assign the very same location to activities with similar GPS tracks.
It's a perfect balance of freedom to let a user assign whatever name s/he thinks is most appropriate and having a system do the tedious repetititive work.
Assume ST would have implemented your suggestion: ST would automatically assign a location like "New York" and hundreds of users, including you, would complain that they rather would have "Central Park" assigned.

Cheers, OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:43 am

New workouts use location you've described from the "closest" related workout, if one can be found. If there are none nearby, you may have to enter a location name for your first location.

I doubt we will use a geoname database, as OMB suggests, it invites more complaints than help for that once in awhile prefill.
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby texmurphy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:49 am

If you use ST3's hierarchical grouping to define locations which all have the same Start but different routing, then use of a specific Location name can not be assigned just from start coordinates alone. ST3 will attempt to match the Location field with route (although not perfect unless you are very diligent about naming!).
Examples from my use below. I use the Location Field to further Name the ride. All those rides starting from ORR go different places. The Name field then is a general Name of the activity. Some activities go to the same areas, so the Location says how to get there and the Name is a way of grouping all together. This is very useful for reports.
    ORR : Reservoir Loop
    ORR : Rocks Park Loop
    ORR : Four Falls Ride
    MWP : Liberty Ride
    MWP : Reservoir Loop
    FIF : Seven Valleys
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby AlexMTB » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:06 am

admin wrote:I doubt we will use a geoname database, as OMB suggests, it invites more complaints than help for that once in awhile prefill.

That's right. Maybe a suggest location based on geoname database the first time if there is not similar previous tracks and if the user override the location name suggested in next times the name location suggested for that place will be the previously overridden location name by the user could be an option to fix it, I don't now if it is viable.

texmurphy wrote:If you use ST3's hierarchical grouping to define locations which all have the same Start but different routing, then use of a specific Location name can not be assigned just from start coordinates alone. ST3 will attempt to match the Location field with route (although not perfect unless you are very diligent about naming!).
Examples from my use below. I use the Location Field to further Name the ride. All those rides starting from ORR go different places. The Name field then is a general Name of the activity. Some activities go to the same areas, so the Location says how to get there and the Name is a way of grouping all together. This is very useful for reports.
    ORR : Reservoir Loop
    ORR : Rocks Park Loop
    ORR : Four Falls Ride
    MWP : Liberty Ride
    MWP : Reservoir Loop
    FIF : Seven Valleys

That's an interesting trick (I''ll use it). It will be nice if ST3 supports subfolders in Location (List) sort creating subfolders when ST3 find a special symbol (for example ::) in the location name. For example with the next 9 activities:

USA::ORR::Reservoir Loop
USA::ORR::Reservoir Loop
USA::ORR::Four Falls Ride
USA::MWP::Liberty Ride
USA::MWP::Reservoir Loop
UK::London
UK::FIF::Seven Valleys
Paris
Rome

something similar to:

AlexMTB

Return to Questions