Still on the fence, got a swim entry question

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Still on the fence, got a swim entry question

Postby Erik Boone » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:55 pm

I am still using the trial version to see if SportTracks will do all I want with my data. Here is my issue I was wondering about:

I did a swim with just a basic timex watch. I went to add the new activity and on the mobi version I was unable to add splits. Is this possible on the mobi version?

I went to add the splits on the desktop version and still the functionality was iffy. You can add the splits, but you can't see the overall data. For example, I swam a total of 800 yds in 8 sets of 100 yds. After I put in each lap with rest intervals as well, the overall time and distance just shows up as the first split I entered. It doesn't total all the time and distances from each lap I did. So this data does not get pushed over to my overall data. Can manual entry of splits be done? Do I need a plugin? If I have a fancy swim watch that can upload the data to SportTracks, will it show my splits and overall time/distance?

What I really want is my overall distance and time shown, then under it each split distance and time, so I can see how I am improving or getting weaker each lap. Does the mobi version show splits at all? or just the overall time and distance?
Erik Boone

Re: Still on the fence, got a swim entry question

Postby admin » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:44 pm

Our online app doesn't allow editing recorded laps. But more basically, our solution is really aimed at users that are using GPS or stroke-counting watches.

For indoor pool swims in particular, you'll need to create separate stroke data to visualize it - as that's what it expects. I don't know anyone which bothers with this.
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Erik Boone » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:23 pm

admin wrote:Our online app doesn't allow editing recorded laps. But more basically, our solution is really aimed at users that are using GPS or stroke-counting watches.

For indoor pool swims in particular, you'll need to create separate stroke data to visualize it - as that's what it expects. I don't know anyone which bothers with this.

So what you are saying is that if I have a fancy swim watch and log my laps as I swim, then upload the data, I will get my overall workout time/distance as well as split time/distance?
Erik Boone

Postby admin » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:40 pm

A watch like the Garmin Swim (about $150) will count time, distance, laps, lengths and strokes. So you can do advanced stoke analysis like this:

http://sporttracks.mobi/blog/advanced-p ... porttracks

Manually entering swim workouts with laps should in theory work, but there may be some assumptions about pool workouts having detailed (ie "recorded") data. I'm not sure. Technically it's probably a bug, or... something we could handle better. But the scenario you're outlining isn't one anyone has asked for yet.

You might try a hack with a different sport type like "other" and see if your totals add up. I believe if it's a pool swim it kicks into a special "swim mode".
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Erik Boone » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:48 pm

admin wrote:A watch like the Garmin Swim (about $150) will count time, distance, laps, lengths and strokes. So you can do advanced stoke analysis like this:

http://sporttracks.mobi/blog/advanced-p ... porttracks

Manually entering swim workouts with laps should in theory work, but there may be some assumptions about pool workouts having detailed (ie "recorded") data. I'm not sure. Technically it's probably a bug, or... something we could handle better. But the scenario you're outlining isn't one anyone has asked for yet.

You might try a hack with a different sport type like "other" and see if your totals add up. I believe if it's a pool swim it kicks into a special "swim mode".

Thank you for that link! That is exactly what I want.
Erik Boone

Return to Questions