Import Data Error

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Import Data Error

Postby brirun » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:30 am

I updated to ST version 3.1.5024. Now ST doesn't recognize the Garmin Communicator Plugin. I have reinstalled the plugin and rebooted several times. The Garmin website can see my device, 310XT, but I'm still getting a message that ST "Could not create or initialize Garmin.DeviceControl(). Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected." The Garmin website says I'm running 4.0.4.0. Please help. Thanks.
brirun

Re: Import Data Error

Postby dirk66 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:08 pm

I suppose you already have searched the forum for tips, but.. have you installed the communicator plugin within internet explorer. The most common issue with this kind of errors. Because ST uses the .net framework under water internet explorer is used.

success
Dirk
dirk66
Donated!
Donated!

Postby jemeryday » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:45 pm

I have a similar error. SportTracks suddenly stopped recognising my Forerunner 210 when I tried to import some workouts two days ago. Previously importing has been fine. I reinstalled SportTracks, updated the software on my Forerunner 210, reinstalled the Garmin Communictor Plugin, uninstalled the Garmin Communicator Plugin, reinstalled it again, went to the test page from within SportsTracks

"From within the Online view, navigate to the Garmin Communicator Test Page at:
http://www.garmin.com/products/communicator/test/"

This test page tells me that the Garmin Communicator plugin is not installed. I tried installing this through SportTracks, through Internet Explorer (as apparently it won't install through Chrome or Firefox - I tried these as well). I contacted the Garmin help desk to ask them about installing it, I tested to see that it was installed (outside of SportTracks) and the plugin is there and installed (version 4.2.0).

Having explored the problems at the Garmin end fairly thoroughly, it looks to be a problem with SportTracks somewhere - either a bug in SportTracks - or an obscure setting that has been changed somehow

When I try to import from Sporttracks and I choose "All Devices" I used to be able to see my Forerunner 210 - this has now disappeared. If I "show my devices" or "show all devices", nothing appears on my menu.

The alternative path for importing from the "E:\Garmin\Activities" directory doesn't seem to work either. This directory has .fit files in it, whichI would be happy to select and import if I could, but SportTracks seems to allow the following files only: *.gpx, *.htm, *.fitlog, *.pwx, *.bdx, *.csv, *.sml. One possible solution is to save the workouts to .gpx from Garmin Connect or Garmin Training Center and then import these .gpx file into SportTracks - but this seems very clumsy. There must be a better solution!

Anybody have any clues?

Importing to Garmin Training Center or via Garmin Express works fine.
Last edited by jemeryday on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jemeryday

Postby admin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:57 am

Garmin Communicator stopped being supported from Garmin about two year ago. You just replied to a two-year old thread. This information as far far obsolete.

And since you mention Garmin Express -that is probably the cause of the issue since they are not compatible (Express "deactivates" the Communicator software).

To import from Garmin you will need to make sure the "Garmin Express" software is installed.

http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html

Once the software is installed and your workouts are downloaded you will find them on your PC.

To import the workouts into SportTracks, open SportTracks 3 and select Import > File, then navigate here:

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\GarminConnect\Device-UnitID\Upload\FIT_TYPE_4

You'll find one file for each workout, labeled ".FIT", you can import multiple files using SHIFT-click or CTRL-click.
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Burnt Toast » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:44 am

Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby philipshambrook » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:06 pm

Kudos jemeryday for searching the forum even if you did reply to an old thread :D
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby jemeryday » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:05 pm

Thanks for the responses - and for pointing out that I am living two years in the past... I have managed to find the more recent thread on "sync from Garmin Connect down this morning" and I suspect my problem may be related to this (ongoing?) issue.

Unfortunately none of the suggestions posted here have worked - but thanks for trying.

I'll address the suggestions from admin first:

Garmin Expressed is already installed - so this is not the problem.

It was suggested that
"To import the workouts into SportTracks, open SportTracks 3 and select Import > File, then navigate here:

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\GarminConnect\Device-UnitID\Upload\FIT_TYPE_4

You'll find one file for each workout, labeled ".FIT", you can import multiple files using SHIFT-click or CTRL-click."

I tried this and I have no directory labelled C:\ProgramData\Garmin\GarminConnect

However I did manage to find
C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Devices\3877382875\Sync\FIT_TYPE_4

which has a whole lot of .FIT files in it. This looked quite promising. I think I used to be able to import .FIT files directly - but it seems I can no longer do this in SportTracks3 - no idea why not...

As I mentioned in my earlier post "but SportTracks seems to allow the following files only: *.gpx, *.htm, *.fitlog, *.pwx, *.bdx, *.csv, *.sml." Any idea how i can modify the list of files so i can import .FIT files directly?

I still can't work out why when I use "select data to import" and I click on "my devices" there are no devices listed here and I can no longer add a device - especially when this has been working nicely for me for a couple of years!

I strongly suspect that there is some link to the recent problem (starting at exactly the same time as my problem) that others are having syncing (see thread on "Sync from Garmin Connect down this morning"). Perhaps if that is resolved, my problem may disappear as well? I can't work out if it is a Garmin problem or a SportTracks problem. The fact that Garmin Connect and Garmin Express can still import files suggests that it is a SportTracks problem, or at least a SportTracks Garmin interface problem.

Maybe it is a bit out of date, but the help page I started looking at was
https://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sportt ... min-import

This is why I (perhaps naively) looked for Garmin Commuinicator plugin issues. If this plugin stopped being supported by Garmin two years ago - then perhaps that SportTracks help page could do with being updated??

Burnt Toast's suggestion for importing .tcx files doesn't address my problem. I can save .gpx files from Garmin Training Center and then import these to SportTracks - but as I said - that is a much clumsier way of importing to SportTracks than importing the .FIT files directly from my device - as I used to do routinely and the end results is nowhere near as clean. I wouldn't want to do it this way on a regular basis, especially after living with the convenience of importing directly from my device.

Any other ideas out there?
jemeryday

Postby Burnt Toast » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:28 pm

I meant for you to do this:

If you still have problems, check the "InstalledPlugins" folder under Program Files/ZoneFiveSoftware/SportTracks and double-click the Garmin plugin.

You should have an option to import .fit files so something is amiss.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15335&p=81093&hilit=can%27t+import+.fit+files#p81093
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby jemeryday » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:40 am

I'm not exactly sure what your suggestion was here Burnt Toast, but I ended up reinstalling all of my plugins (I noticed that the weather plugin had mysteriously disappeared), including the Garmin plugin and all of problems have magically disappeared. I can now import .fit files from a folder location - and, even better, I can just download the files directly from my device - like I used to be able to do before.

No idea if this was related to the synch problems being experienced elsewhere, but I seem to be back to where I was last week. Thanks for the suggestions!
jemeryday

Postby admin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:05 am

It's not really magic. The Garmin import plugin is required to import Garmin FIT files. (thumbs up).
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Questions