segment logbook by year

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

segment logbook by year

Postby 3peteBear » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:16 am

I have been following the threads
Help! I don't want to abandon SportTracks!
and
OutOfMemory exception when saving logbook.

I want to split my log book into yearly archives and I have the following concerns because I subscribe to sporttracks.mobi and use it to sync between 2 computers.
How will the CloudSync react to a segmented logbooks? :?:
If I open a logbook with only 2013 data in it, will it delete all prior activities from the cloud?
Then when I open it on my other computer, will it delete the activities on it also?
Even worse, if I open a logbook with only 2012 data in it, will it attempt to delete all Current activities from the cloud? :cry:

thanks
3peteBear

Re: segment logbook by year

Postby Deeter26 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:23 am

The short answer is 'it depends'. The long answer is well, long and complex.

The concept of the sporttracks.mobi app doesn't quite support multiple yearly local logbooks. It's a 'one logbook' format that allows for bi-directional maintenance but considers the cloud logbook as your primary data center with multiple access points, if you will.

Let's say that within the PC app I want to open and view/edit/save a logbook that was generated prior to CloudSync (CS). No problem. Any logbook created before CS'ing was activated, functions independently and behaves as if CS didn't exist. Of course that also means that any data living in an archived local logbook doesn't exist in the cloud either. Under this scenario, I could open a 2008 logbook and it will neither add activities from the cloud (pull changes) or delete activities from the cloud (push changes). That's important to understand as you step through the scenarios. 'One logbook design' applies to your initial sync point and the data that exists in the local logbook that you are syncing from. In other words, if your local logbook contains your entire history, so will the cloud. If you have segmented years, are running a 2013 logbook currently and then CS, the cloud only knows about the data existing in your 2013 logbook and activities moving forward. It doesn't have access to 2006, 2007, 2008 logbooks, etc if you segmented those logbooks prior to CS. Also, YOU don't have access to any archived data unless you are at/on the device where those archives reside.

Now let's say we jump forward and create a fresh logbook post CS'ing. This is where it can get tricky and requires an understanding of how syncing behaves. When you 'open' a logbook with your PC app it will sync with the cloud and check for any changes (pull). Any new workout that exists on the cloud will be added to the logbook you just opened. Any changed workout will be updated. Any deleted workout will be removed. When you 'close/save' a logbook with your PC app it will sync with the cloud and push any changes out to the cloud (add/changes/deletes). So say you would like to archive your local logbook for whatever reason (you like having a subset of data on your PC, yearly archives, out of memory exceptions) and start with a clean logbook. When you open a new logbook it will pull data from the cloud. Meaning, it will start loading everything from the cloud and your new logbook won't be 'clean'. I expect that if you then delete all the activities from the logbook you have opened and save it, that will push all those deletes to the cloud and erase your data there. Probably not what you want. Again, CS'ing allows you to have a mirror image of your local logbook with multiple ways to access and manipulate your data. It's a one logbook concept that really isn't intended to support multiple local logbooks. The cloud doesn't have the data limitations that the PC app may have. It allows you to have your entire history in one spot and log and update workouts from wherever you are on whatever device you have.

Your specific question was, if you open a 2013 logbook would it delete prior activities from the cloud? No, it would pull data from the cloud (always pulls on an open) that didn't exist in your 2013 logbook and add it to your 2013 logbook. Even worse you ask, if you open a 2012 logbook would it delete all current activities from the cloud? Well no, it pulls from the cloud when it opens a logbook. But again, that depends. If you have a 2012 logbook that was created/archived prior to CS then there would be no impact at all. It wouldn't sync and would behave as if CS'ing didn't exist. The answer is always NO to the question - will it delete from the cloud when you 'open' a local logbook? IF your question is really - what happens when you 'save' a local logbook, you have to understand the push/pull concept. If I'm out and about and delete workouts from the cloud, those workouts will be deleted from my local logbook the next time I open it. As expected. Same with adding or updating workouts. If I add/edit/delete locally and then 'save', those changes will get pushed out.

It's a simple concept really that just gets complex if you try and trim/archive/segment data locally. Of course that begs the question, what happens when your history in the cloud is out of bounds with what you want to manage locally on your PC? Not sure that there's a good answer for that one yet!
Deeter26

Postby 3peteBear » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:29 am

thanks / Danke Schoen
for this comprehensive answer

Pete
3peteBear

Postby admin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:25 am

The post above by Deeter26 is essentially correct.

Any and all changes in a logbook will be synched online - by design. So if you delete workouts from past years in your PC logbook, it will be deleted from the online logbook also.

We are working on an archive feature, but it is quite complex to handle all the data scenarios of a partial logbook synching to a full logbook. Until then you can email support to have them split the logbook up.
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mtnc » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:32 am

I'd like to somehow split my logbook so it will load and backup on Google Drive faster. I also use SportTracks online. Is there an easy procedure to split the ST3 logbook by year or couple years without screwing everything up on the ST3 program and online?
Attachments
ST3.PNG
ST3.PNG (6.69 KiB) Viewed 4191 times
mtnc

Postby texmurphy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:49 am

If you split your logbook, then Mobi synch will either add online activities back to the logbook - or - ST3 synch will delete activities from from Mobi.
I have a split logbook which is one reason I do not use Mobi.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:06 am

Sorry, no. There is no concept or support for a "split logbooks" scheme for a single athlete. Each athlete must have all data in a single logbook.
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Questions