by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,397 (11) • Reviews: 8

Version:

Updated:

Mar 10, 2016

Suunto 9 (Baro) .fit and Pool Swimming Plugin

Suunto 9 (Baro) .fit and Pool Swimming Plugin

Postby Z74 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:28 am

Looks like the swimming logs of the Suunto9 aren't being recognized as such and hence the log in ST3 doesn't appear to be a swimming log.
Maybe I need to export the file in another format? I don't think so.
(I used the garmin fit devices importer but I don't think the standard fit file importer of ST3 would make a difference)

Clueless.

Broken F5X, had to go back to Suunto... no alternatives. :oops:
Z74

Re: Suunto 9 (Baro) .fit and Pool Swimming Plugin

Postby Z74 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:58 am

To be honest I glanced at the resources while the watch was plugged to the USB for settings/recharge and didn't find the watch but didn't pay much attention to it guessing (wrongly) that Movescount would allow me to export the .fit files and I wouldn't need to take the files directly from the watch itself.
(In other words you caught me off-guard lol)

I installed your plugin and no, I can't see the watch. Only C: D: and E: so the problem remains.

How do I do that? I remember now asking a friend of mine to give me the files from his watch before taking any choice on the S9, so I did get these files and I remember like it was yesterday the pool swimming plugin was working. Where the hell is the watch... I can't see it.
Z74

Postby Z74 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:03 am

Thank you Frederic,

your plugin didn't show up when I hit the import button (like, ST asks you to choose which importer to use) but the S9 icon appears with the files so I suppose it was used.
The files were correctly imported, yet again, the swimming log is not recognized as such, therefore the pool swimming plugin doesn't engage. I don't know if OMB is the one who can fix it or if you can do something about it.

I went back to the F5X logs and there i see them with the PS plugin so it's the S9b not the plugin because the plugin works.

Not surprised the S9 is unsupported... but this plugin is a must. It used to be with the F5X and now even more. The S9b is totally inadeguate for swimming: many many problems.
Z74

Postby Z74 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:00 pm

OMB's plugin is the Pool Swimming Plugin I am talking about (we are in that forum after all).

F5X logs imported with or without fit file devices importer (another of Omb's great plugins) are recognized as swimming logs and the plugin view mode is active. They are by default shown WITH the PS plugin.

Since the S9b swimming log is NOT visible in that plugin (the plugin button is not there) it means this log is not recognized as a pool swimming log.
Suunto has made the usual mess of things... it's not even possible to IDENTIFY the log you need because all the logs were uploaded to SuuntoLink using the same date and NOT by the date/time of creation.

I'm uploading to dropbox all three logs of today's synch. The swimming log is the one that shows 2km distance (plus something the S9b made out of nowhere).

I'm also uploading a picture of how a swimming log looks like in OMB's PS plugin. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/20djfid7uur0 ... Y_Nya?dl=0

Let me know if you have problems with the files or need help in any other matter.
Z74

Postby Z74 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:56 pm

Of course I'm gonna help you.

Log file (.fit straight from garmin connect): https://www.dropbox.com/s/63t093ib0dly1 ... 4.zip?dl=0

So if you think this has nothing to do with the PS plugin, we're in the wrong place. Pick a new forum. :)
Z74

Postby Z74 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:30 am

The distance column is surely messed up but so is the swim stroke: I only swim Freestyle and only swim the other styles in sets .

Yes out of the three I gave you, the only one who generated distance is the swimming. It is the first of the day... something around 9 in the morning
Z74

Postby Z74 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:32 am

Can't be the Garmin's file.
Garmin never makes mistake in stroke assessment. On the contrary Suunto is all over the place and even adds lengths in REST time.
Total failure in the swimming compartment.

Of course, if the S9 classifies it as BREAST that's the problem but here comes OMBs plugin. You can fix it.... IF the file is identified as a swimming file (otherwise the plugin won't engage).
Z74

Postby Z74 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:54 am

I am in touch with the engineers because I see no options here. I've got to stick with the S9 and I need it to swim (and do 10 more sports at the best it can).
If they listen to me it's likely many things will change but I doubt they will for the S9. It's gonna be for the next models.

Still... helping them ALSO helps me but honestly speaking the S9 is 10 yrs behind the F5x. Movescount is 10 yrs behind Garmin Connect but if you can make the S9 swimming files work with OMB's plugin then at least, as long as I don't do the sets, it will be alright. For distance swimming it is passable but for sets (the lap swimming, the drills) it's a totally useless watch for a variety of reasons I reported.

We'll see what happens because I have higher channels than common users when I do reports of this kind.
Z74

Postby texmurphy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:27 am

dcrainmaker on 17Jan2019 wrote:https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/01/suunto-announces-decommission-plans-for-movescount-platform-impacting-some-watches.html

Two days ago Suunto announced plans to retire their online training platform, Movescount, sometime around Summer 2020 (~18 months from now). Instead, users will use the newer Suunto online platform (previously called Sports Tracker – no relation to SportTracks). That’s the platform that Suunto has been pushing since the launch of the Suunto 3 watch a year ago, and then this past summer with the Suunto 9 series.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Z74 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:29 am

They didn't commit the resources to MC so they're shutting it down to move to ST... to which they have no resources to commit.
LOL
Z74

Return to Pool Swimming