by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,402 (11) • Reviews: 8

Version:

Updated:

Mar 10, 2016

Pool Swimming plugin

Re: Pool Swimming plugin

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:11 am

Ouch, that doesn't look as it should (see bottom of the catalog page for a correct display: http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttr ... l-swimming ).
Seems that I've spoilt the display in one the latest version, as a side effect of some other changes - this chart component is used in many of my plugins.
Will have a look.

"Swimming zones" - what's that? Please add some more words, screen shots, links, ... so that a non-swimmer can understand.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby atid » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:53 am

In the standard ST pace graph, you have swim pace zones. These zones are set in the categories view -> pace/SpeedZones for swimming.
If my pace data was correct, I would see at what pace zone I had been swimming during each length.
Attachments
Swimming 09-06-2013, Pace.png
Swimming 09-06-2013, Pace.png (22.03 KiB) Viewed 22048 times
atid

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 am

Oops, I see :oops:
Will consider that for the next plugin version.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby atid » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:42 pm

Hi,
As I know you are responsive to demands, I have two of them :)
1) The chart window is missing maximize, minimize buttons and does not really close when you press the 'X' - it minimizes.
2) If you add laps marks on the charts, it would help a lot.

Thanks in advance,
Ari
atid

Postby old_man_biking » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:34 am

atid wrote:Hi,
As I know you are responsive to demands, I have two of them :)
1) The chart window is missing maximize, minimize buttons and does not really close when you press the 'X' - it minimizes.
2) If you add laps marks on the charts, it would help a lot.

Thanks in advance,
Ari

Re 1 b) Minimizing upon "X" was built deliberately - to speed up responsiveness and maintain all zooms and pans when re-opening a chart. This answers, why there's no minimize button.
Re 2) Will consider that for a future version
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby FranR » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:31 am

Last week I purchased a Garmin Swim, and after some reading I also bought both the FIT file importer and swimming pool plugins. :D
So far so good, the plugin shows up :lol: and everything looks fine, except for a couple minor issues:

- Lengths do not show correctly (not proportional to time) in the top graphic. Look at intervals 13 and14 in the picture below. Zooming or panning won't fix it. Also, rest times are shown arbitrarily... It looks like the rest time is being added to the first length of next interval in the graph....
- Double pauses, Just read about that, it's ok. :roll:
- Sorry to bother you with this but I just cannot help it. Please please please change your spanish translations for "length(s)", reading "longitudes" is bad, it is not the word, but "longitudo" simply hurts the eye, it is very far from correct!! It should be:
Length = Largo
Lengths= Largos

That's correct Spanish in all swimming pools, here in Spain, and in several countries in LA that I know of. Please check with your translator, provided it is human :lol:
If you need some help I can help in small item translations for free, I have some experience transating from english to spanish , and I am familiar with sports terminology. But please change that will you ? :cry: :cry: :lol:

Vielen Danke :wink: ,

corr2.jpg
corr2.jpg (109.08 KiB) Viewed 21798 times
FranR

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:51 am

Hola FranR,

would you please zip the original .FIT file of this swim, zip and attach it to your post. I'll have a look then.
Re incorrect Spanish translation of "(pool) length": hhm, I suspect that my poor Spanish translator got victim of missing context :) Or s/he can't swim :) :)

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby FranR » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:01 pm

FIT file , here it comes...

thanks!
Attachments
fit.zip
(2.02 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
FranR

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:56 am

Thanks for your bug report and data.
The error is however slightly different from what you reported ("not proportional"):
this plugin version does not draw the PAUSES alltogether. Instead the pause between e.g. intervals 1 and 2 is intrinsically added to the bar for interval no. 2. Which of course lets this interval look longer as it should be.

Will fix that for the next version
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby FranR » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:57 am

ok, that's what I meant with "It looks like the rest time is being added to the first length of next interval in the graph..." :P

Glad to help, and looking forward to the next version with this fix and the translation correction! :evil:

Thanks,
FranR

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:08 am

Oops, I hadn't read your post carefully enough.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby daemonix » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi Im new here and Im thinking of buying the software and this plugin becasu I would like to be able to edit the lengths I do in the pool.
Garmin 910 most of the time has errors in double counting or other...

But even though I have downloaded the demos I can find how to use it... I have imported an activity from the "connect" site but I can find the plugin spesific screen somewhere...

Any help? please check my screenshot attachment.

Thanks
D
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-08-28 at 22.15.56.png
Screen Shot 2013-08-28 at 22.15.56.png (217.52 KiB) Viewed 21695 times
daemonix

Postby daemonix » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:22 am

Hi again,

I did a bit more searching and I used one the the .FIT file in the forum. It looks ok now so I assume the files exported from Garmin Connect dont work, right? (I need to extract the fit files from the backup folder or something?)

Another question: Can you edit the lengths you did? I see questions about the pool length but this is not a problem, the problem for example is "edit the recorded lengths in a split" the 910xt in most cases records 2 pool lengths even though you only did one 33m length.

Can I edit this by hand and recalculate the rest of the data associated with this value?

Best,
D
daemonix

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:08 am

daemonix wrote:Hi again,

I did a bit more searching and I used one the the .FIT file in the forum. It looks ok now so I assume the files exported from Garmin Connect dont work, right? (I need to extract the fit files from the backup folder or something?)

Another question: Can you edit the lengths you did? I see questions about the pool length but this is not a problem, the problem for example is "edit the recorded lengths in a split" the 910xt in most cases records 2 pool lengths even though you only did one 33m length.

Can I edit this by hand and recalculate the rest of the data associated with this value?

Best,
D

Only .FIT files carry the pool swimming data. So you must import .FIT files - either from the ANT Agent Sync folder, or simply by using Garmin FIT Devices plugin.
Yes, you can edit cases like the one you describe with the Pool Swimming plugin (your case would mean to join two lengths, because the Garmin had detected a turn where there was none).

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby yoeddy0420 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:01 am

Is there any thoughts of having this plugin support Suunto Ambit 2 pool swims as well.
yoeddy0420

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:43 am

It already does so today.
Only prerequisite: the Suunto Import plugin most properly import the swim into the SportTracks data base. So you should ask that plugin's developer.
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby EricN » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:31 pm

old_man_biking wrote:Thanks for your bug report and data.
The error is however slightly different from what you reported ("not proportional"):
this plugin version does not draw the PAUSES alltogether. Instead the pause between e.g. intervals 1 and 2 is intrinsically added to the bar for interval no. 2. Which of course lets this interval look longer as it should be.

Will fix that for the next version

Nice! Just bought it. Is there a schedule for the next version?
EricN

Postby old_man_biking » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:04 am

A week or less.
Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby scottwatts » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:37 pm

@OMB:
Being the data junkine I am, I LOVE this addon, thanks for your efforts on it!

Any chance of an enhancement that would allow us to customize the swim stroke? More specifically, I would love to be able to replace the generic "drill" with the type of drill I was doing, (i.e. finger tip drill, catch-up drill, kicking drill, etc. etc)

Thanks!!
scottwatts

Postby FranR » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:32 am

I second Scottwatts request!
FranR

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:21 am

Re custom swim stroke types: I'm considering this.
Would those of you who are interested, please send me a PM with your email address and a link to this post. You'll get a beta version soon which implements custom swim stroke types.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby S222sgr » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:58 am

Hi OMB

Great Plug in...

I swim almost everyday and although my 910 is pretty accurate it quite often shows really fast length next to really slow length. See below 1. The last 2 lengths in this set are obviously wrong at 1:56 and 1:30. What I normally do is join the two lengths and then split them again. which results in below 2. This is a much better representation of what actually did and makes the charts screen more consistent.

This all takes time and I wonder if you could add a button on the edit bar to look for these anomalies? Perhaps this button could have a % setting where users could set the threshold to whatever the user feels is appropriate (say 15%) and then any 2 length that trigger this % would be joined and then split automatically (within an interval).

Many thanks

Simon

Screen Shot 2013-09-21 at 09.34.17.png
Before
Screen Shot 2013-09-21 at 09.34.17.png (34.45 KiB) Viewed 21371 times

Screen Shot 2013-09-21 at 09.34.17.png
Before
Screen Shot 2013-09-21 at 09.34.17.png (34.45 KiB) Viewed 21371 times
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-09-21 at 09.37.45.png
After joining & splitting
Screen Shot 2013-09-21 at 09.37.45.png (33.74 KiB) Viewed 21371 times
S222sgr

Postby old_man_biking » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:09 am

Hhm, I somewhat refrain from building an automatioc processing that can substantially change the recorded data without giving the user any control over this.

What I like better - and what follows my current approach used in the plugin - is:
1. give the user good hints where s/he should apply fixes
2. let the user explicitly do the fix, but streamline this process as possible

1. is already there (highlighting) and could be improved by adding a specific check to the "Find next length(s) that need to be fixed" mechanism, that I've designed for fixing irreguarities.
2. would be an action like "Reposition turn" that would combine the join and split actions, and would be available, when you've selected 2 consecutive lenghts.

So the plugin would detect "suspicious" lengths and would offer you to fix these as easily as possible. But you're the one who decides.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby S222sgr » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:00 am

Thanks OMB - that sounds great to me. I am curious about number 1 on your list. I have tried pressing the find length button but I have never noticed anything happening? What am I doing wrong and what should I be seeing? Maybe the difference is not great enough for your 'irregularities' calculation. I have taught myself consistent pacing (I swam the English Channel this year), so I am looking for a margin of difference of over 15%ish but that maybe too low for some swimmers? As I say, I think it would be good to give users the ability to set their own percentage to look for in your "Find next length(s) that need to be fixed" - as you say this gives user control.

Cheers

Simon
S222sgr

Postby old_man_biking » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:10 am

This action detects typical errors of your Garmin:
failures to detect a turn and phantom turns inserted where there should be none.
So its thresholds are set rather coarsely.
The problems that you reported (turns detected 1- 2 strokes too early or too late) sound rather uncommon.
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

PreviousNext

Return to Pool Swimming