by Vonni

Downloads: 8,105 (39) • Reviews: 16

Version:

Updated:

Mar 7, 2015

WISH: Association beween module and activity

WISH: Association beween module and activity

Postby PissedOffCil » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:17 pm

That's good for me! It will be very easy to transfer my plan as far as TRIMP is concerned. I'm still not sure how people manage their "focus". Maybe that's not how people plan their weeks, and maybe Vonni you have an idea on how I could do this.

The way I see it, I would create modules for every type of workout (Endurance, Speed skill, etc.) When I do a workout, I can then associate it to a module (Not sure how to do this). My plan should contain a certain amount of TRIMP points for each workout category per week.

Does it make sense?

Thanks!
Developer of the Garmin Fitness, Filtered Statistics and Distribution plugins
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Per week scheduling

Postby Vonni » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:51 pm

Hi
PissedOffCil wrote:That's good for me!

Great! :)

PissedOffCil wrote:The way I see it, I would create modules for every type of workout (Endurance, Speed skill, etc.)

Yes, I think that should be the way.

PissedOffCil wrote:When I do a workout, I can then associate it to a module (Not sure how to do this).

I'm not really sure if I understand your hint ("not sure how to do this") right.

If you just work with the "easy" training plan with the increasing and regeneration weeks, the plugin will automatically associate the modules with your real activities. The plugin checks, if the category, heart rate or power zone fits to the planned module. I think, it's the best, if you play a little bit around and choose the start day (for testing) in the past. After this you can see in the goal tab, which activities are respected in the particular goal (module).

If you plan a concrete training on a special day in the future, (at the moment) you have to check yourself if the real activity fits to the planned activity. If yes, you can set this planned activity to "done" (see context menu on the planned activity).

Does that help?
Viele Grüße / Best regards
Vonni
Vonni
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Per week scheduling

Postby PissedOffCil » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:23 pm

Vonni wrote:I'm not really sure if I understand your hint ("not sure how to do this") right.

If you just work with the "easy" training plan with the increasing and regeneration weeks, the plugin will automatically associate the modules with your real activities. The plugin checks, if the category, heart rate or power zone fits to the planned module. I think, it's the best, if you play a little bit around and choose the start day (for testing) in the past. After this you can see in the goal tab, which activities are respected in the particular goal (module).

If you plan a concrete training on a special day in the future, (at the moment) you have to check yourself if the real activity fits to the planned activity. If yes, you can set this planned activity to "done" (see context menu on the planned activity).

Does that help?

Well the problem is that a certain "skill" doesn't related to HR or power at all. a force workout can be anywhere between CP90 and CP6, just like muscular endurancew can be from CP90 to CP30 but with longer intervals.

So what I thought was to create the link to the right module after doing the workout. Right click the activity, edit, select module, done!

Thanks
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Re: FIXED 1.0.020120: Per week scheduling

Postby Vonni » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:09 am

Ah ok.
In this cases I work with categories.

I be honest, I'm not really happy with the idea of combining real activities with modules - at least in this early state of the plugin. I have to store this relations and I think it's better to match the modules and activities automatically.

But I have an other idea: what about matching the real activities with a part of the description? Then you can enter a special "key word" in the description and combine this with the module / goal.

What do you think?
Vonni
Vonni
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:43 am

I haven't thought of using categories. My categories are more related to which bike I use and in what situation rather than the focus of the workout. I don't dislike the idea, I'll think it over.

For the keyword, I feel it makes it a bit cumbersome to use...
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby clackerz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:45 pm

I could use the category.
I'm a bit different to POC in that my categories are based around the workout type - i.e. Recovery, Intervals, Sprints, Hill Intervals etc.

But it would be good to have the option to manually match the activity with the module - you'll find everyone has their own way of storing their data......
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby Vonni » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:10 am

Hi Clackerz and PoC

clackerz wrote:But it would be good to have the option to manually match the activity with the module - you'll find everyone has their own way of storing their data......

Don't understand me wrong. I understand your wish and it's important to solve it, but I don't want to rush into a situation which just helps one half of the users.

One of the biggest problem is, that the goals don't work with modules. So the relation between a real training and a training module just work for training plans and not for goals. What's about with these guys which do not work with the plans and just only with the goals? :roll:

If I implement a additional filter for special keywords in the notes, it would be works both for goals and modules/plans. You just enter for Example "fartlek" in the note of your real activity and it will be automatically assigned to the goal / module which has defined "fartlek" as keyword.

To have later on a manual mapping between the real activities and the modules is imho an additional second step.

It's worth to think about it carefully.
Vonni
Vonni
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:28 am

Vonni wrote:Hi Clackerz and PoC

clackerz wrote:But it would be good to have the option to manually match the activity with the module - you'll find everyone has their own way of storing their data......

Don't understand me wrong. I understand your wish and it's important to solve it, but I don't want to rush into a situation which just helps one half of the users.

One of the biggest problem is, that the goals don't work with modules. So the relation between a real training and a training module just work for training plans and not for goals. What's about with these guys which do not work with the plans and just only with the goals? :roll:

If I implement a additional filter for special keywords in the notes, it would be works both for goals and modules/plans. You just enter for Example "fartlek" in the note of your real activity and it will be automatically assigned to the goal / module which has defined "fartlek" as keyword.

To have later on a manual mapping between the real activities and the modules is imho an additional second step.

It's worth to think about it carefully.

You provided a perfectly valid workaround. Since modules are associated with a category, one can manage his stuff like this. Don't rush into it, I know how you feel, users always have a ton of requests, many which add little to no value. My post wasn't meant to be a request, more of an attempt to understand if I could manage my plan using your plugin.

Thanks btw, even if I keep using custom fields for my workout categories for the moment, I can still have a nice overview of my load progress.
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Vonni » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks POC,
that sounds good! :)

I have worked since my beginning with ST with categories and I love them. ;)
I will put this thread on the wish list. At the moment I want to focus on the bugfixing and minor enhancements until the plugin is really stable.

But it's important for me that YOU like the plugin, because I still dream of a cooperation between your Garmin Fitness Plugin and my RYG. :wink:
Vonni
Vonni
Donated!
Donated!

Postby clackerz » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Vonni wrote:....<snip>....What's about with these guys which do not work with the plans and just only with the goals? :roll:

I kind of do both.
For instance I'm looking to do a 14.5km running event and I want to achieve this in under a certain time. For me this is a goal. But I don't want a plan built around this specific goal. It's just a goal.
From there I want to go about building a training plan with specifics that will prepare me to achieve this goal that has me peaking at the right time.
Let's say an 8 week training plan with say 4 specific components per week (i.e. speed work, intervals, LSD, etc). However the details of the components change each week as the load is increased and then tapered off in the last week.

Currently I cannot enter the actual goal as a goal - RYG wants to build a plan around it.

So what I plan to do is create each component in the module section. As I add the module in on a specific day I would put in the specifics in the description. This way I know on a given day what I'm going to be doing as the module description is very specific to what needs to be achieved.
It would be great if I could use Pace as part of the activity data, as this is really a key component.

I've actually created the same modules (20 all up due to the changes in training requirements and load) in the Garmin Fitness Plugin and these will be placed in the calendar and loaded onto my FR as required for that training week.
So integration would cut out a heap of work for me....

I think I've successfully hijacked this thread now.......soz
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby PissedOffCil » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:40 pm

Vonni wrote:Thanks POC,
that sounds good! :)

I have worked since my beginning with ST with categories and I love them. ;)
I will put this thread on the wish list. At the moment I want to focus on the bugfixing and minor enhancements until the plugin is really stable.

But it's important for me that YOU like the plugin, because I still dream of a cooperation between your Garmin Fitness Plugin and my RYG. :wink:

I've had a request for this by another developer so I'll probably get to it someday.
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Re: WISH: Association beween module and activity

Postby Jomolungma » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:14 pm

Um, yeah, compatibility between the Garmin Fitness plugin and RYG is a big BIG dream of mine. The detailed activity planning of GF with the training plan level stuff of GYF. Throw in an export to iCal from GYF (or some kind of automated push to FTP) and you will have fulfilled my fantasies :D
Jomolungma

Postby Vonni » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:35 pm

clackerz wrote:However the details of the components change each week as the load is increased and then tapered off in the last week.
Currently I cannot enter the actual goal as a goal - RYG wants to build a plan around it.

Hi Clackerz,
I know - tapering is not integrated at the moment, but I want to add it with some more features in the near future:

1) Entering of a start quantity for the first week AND the wished quantity for the last week. The plugin then should calculate the increasing for the planned weeks autonomous.
2) Defining of a tapering date with increased quantity (comparable the periodical regeneration weeks)
3) Entering the quantities of the weeks of the training plan completely free.

Do you think this could help you for you planning with RYG - respectively how should the entering of your goal / plan data look like?
Vonni
Vonni
Donated!
Donated!

Re: WISH: Association beween module and activity

Postby clackerz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:12 am

Hi Vonni,
I think this should suffice quite nicely
Thanks
clackerz
Contributor!