by Vonni

Downloads: 8,105 (39) • Reviews: 16

Version:

Updated:

Mar 7, 2015

TOP RATED - wooooooooooowwwwwwwwww

Re: TOP RATED - wooooooooooowwwwwwwwww

Postby Vonni » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:28 am

aab163 wrote:I use my sparetime doing what i enjoy - i think this is the best attitude. I help out in my club and train newcomers in my sport. I dont ask to get paid for my time and if someone brings a cake once in a while the this is appriciated.

Yes, exactly! :)

I love SportTracks and it's a wonderful playground for running / cycling developers. :wink:
I'm in the lucky situation that I be able to enhance ST when I miss something. I do this, because I like to do that and helps me in planning my trainings - and not to earn some money. Money never can counterbalance the many many hours of developing and discussing. Nobody force me to develop a plugin. It's my own choice to do it.

My salary is a "Well done!", "Thank you!" or the many nice ratings - and if someone buys me something from my Amazon-Wishlist or just brings me a cake 8) , I'm really pleased. Sometimes the small things are more precious. :)
Viele Grüße / Best regards
Vonni
Vonni
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:51 am

Glad it works out for you. I personnaly had more "This sucks", "Can't you get it right?" and "I'm done with this, what a poor execution" than "Thank yous". Having invested more time in GF for other users than for my own needs, I believe it's worth something. My original first released was enoguh for my needs, and it took me about 40 hours to code. Since then I probably spent thousands of hours for other users...
Developer of the Garmin Fitness, Filtered Statistics and Distribution plugins
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Vonni » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:58 am

Hi POC,
that's really sad to read and it's a pity that you have still made such bad experiences.

It's absolute clear that we add a lot of stuff in our plugins which we are never will use. I'm still only a runner. I hate cycling! I will never use the biking stuff, but it was good invested time. I want to create a plugin which helps as much as possible athletics. Maybe I have a "helper syndrome". :wink:

My experience with my poetry community (over 10 years) is, that nearly nobody donates something. So, if I don't hope on donations I don't get disappointed. I just use a lot of free tools on my pc and I often donate - but not always, because it would be too much. But I always be grateful for the work of the developer and so I give something back to the world with my free plugins. It see it like a cosmic balance. :wink:

So please POC, don't be annoyed about the idiots. I know that there are a lot of them. Just look at the nice guys. I be sure that there are many people which are happy about your work. And maybe I can help you with my plugin to make a easier planing or your training. Than my plugin is my present for you. :)

Just let my say "Thank you" for your work and help! :)
Vonni
Vonni
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:13 pm

Don't worry, I'm not in it for money. I give keys to people who help, find bugs, translate or just hang out and be friendly. I'm not in it for money but when less than 1% of users care to report bugs and collaborate in a way or another, I'm annoyed.

My plugins are still free, they remain donationware all the way and my source code is still open source so I seriously don't feel like I'm stealing people. It just turns out most folks don't give unless you pick on them over and over. For these exact same reasons ST3 moved to a shareware model instead of donationware. Users can complain all they want, they're the reason for the change in behavior from developpers.

BTW, you probably don't have keys for my plugins and I usually give them to other developpers just because they help ST get better, I'll send them tonight.

Vonni wrote:Hi POC,
that's really sad to read and it's a pity that you have still made such bad experiences.

It's absolute clear that we add a lot of stuff in our plugins which we are never will use. I'm still only a runner. I hate cycling! I will never use the biking stuff, but it was good invested time. I want to create a plugin which helps as much as possible athletics. Maybe I have a "helper syndrome". :wink:

My experience with my poetry community (over 10 years) is, that nearly nobody donates something. So, if I don't hope on donations I don't get disappointed. I just use a lot of free tools on my pc and I often donate - but not always, because it would be too much. But I always be grateful for the work of the developer and so I give something back to the world with my free plugins. It see it like a cosmic balance. :wink:

So please POC, don't be annoyed about the idiots. I know that there are a lot of them. Just look at the nice guys. I be sure that there are many people which are happy about your work. And maybe I can help you with my plugin to make a easier planing or your training. Than my plugin is my present for you. :)

Just let my say "Thank you" for your work and help! :)
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:18 pm

Back to topic : You ratings are skyrocketing, I'm no match!!!

:lol:
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby sakkakth » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:13 pm

GF still the best imho! I love RYG tho too. :)
sakkakth

Postby clackerz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:41 pm

As I said earlier in this thread that most of the time you don't hear from people unless something goes wrong, or is not to their requirements - as the saying goes: "You're only as good as your last mistake". It's a shame but it's what us human beings do these days - more take than give.
But I must admit I sometimes will forget the amount of work that developers will put in for us end-users, probably more that I've never coded before, so it's hard to envisage this, or know what goes into creating a plugin.
I try to help out where I can in my limited knowledge - more so in testing or providing feedback or just assisting those where I can.
Keep up the good work guys!
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby admin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:04 am

wellll.... It may be time for me to add a feature to consider age for the top downloads and ratings features which I've been thinking about. Older ratings > less score.

Then you must maintain a constant velocity to maintain the top spot 8)
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PissedOffCil » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:12 am

admin wrote:wellll.... It may be time for me to add a feature to consider age for the top downloads and ratings features which I've been thinking about. Older ratings > less score.

Why would an old review count less? :?:
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mazoaguirre » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:12 am

PissedOffCil wrote:
admin wrote:wellll.... It may be time for me to add a feature to consider age for the top downloads and ratings features which I've been thinking about. Older ratings > less score.

Why would an old review count less? :?:

why not a rated over time i mean top rated ever, last year, last month, hot rigth now (kind so...)
FR 310 and Foot Pod, Edge 500 and Cadence Sensor, GoPro HD 960
mazoaguirre.com
mazoaguirre
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby texmurphy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:42 am

Then will we be able to revise or re-rate?

If I rated a plugin over 6 months ago :!: ; or the author adds capabilities :D; or I increase my use of the plugin 8) ; or I find the plugin is no longer superlative and should be downgraded :cry: - then I think re-scoring is warranted :o .
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby HENNES » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:07 pm

texmurphy wrote:If I rated a plugin over 6 months ago :!: ; or the author adds capabilities :D; or I increase my use of the plugin 8) ; or I find the plugin is no longer superlative and should be downgraded :cry: - then I think re-scoring is warranted :o .

...yeah, or I was drunk when I rated last. Or Im drunk now and want to rate new.

... also, we should differ between female and male ratings :evil:
rgds hennes
- kickbiking with FR 305 and STs 3

runner´s map ... EURE Karte für Laufveranstaltungen - zum MITMACHEN!!!
http://www.runnersmap.info
...mehr als DREI TAUSEND Laufveranstaltungen!
HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Postby rikicarra » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:08 pm

PissedOffCil wrote:Glad it works out for you. I personnaly had more "This sucks", "Can't you get it right?" and "I'm done with this, what a poor execution" than "Thank yous". Having invested more time in GF for other users than for my own needs, I believe it's worth something. My original first released was enoguh for my needs, and it took me about 40 hours to code. Since then I probably spent thousands of hours for other users...

Garmin Fitness is a wonderful plugin. It does the job hudred times better than the software provided by Garmin, and Garmin would be supposed to provide high quality software.
Please, keep going with the development, Vonni is right, look at users that appreciate what you do and thank you for that. You'll always find selfish people with no clue about the hard job of developing code.

Thank you.
rikicarra

Postby Vonni » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:45 am

texmurphy wrote:Then will we be able to revise or re-rate?

If I rated a plugin over 6 months ago :!: ; or the author adds capabilities :D; or I increase my use of the plugin 8) ; or I find the plugin is no longer superlative and should be downgraded :cry: - then I think re-scoring is warranted :o .

It's not possible to change a rating? I have never checked it, but I think this is a very important point.
Maybe I change my mind for various reasons or I have done an error at the rating, then it should be possible to change the rating. :roll:
Vonni
Vonni
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gerhard » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:30 pm

I am not taking part in what should have the highest rating: GF is an important piece as it allows users to ditch GTC (users could occasionally start GTC just to handle workouts though).
RYG is new functionality, also done in a fine way. I am still thinking of a training plan...

PissedOffCil wrote:Having invested more time in GF for other users than for my own needs, I believe it's worth something. My original first released was enoguh for my needs, and it took me about 40 hours to code. Since then I probably spent thousands of hours for other users...

It is hard to make a living on a niche product like ST. Most users have not understood how much time it takes to get from something that mostly works to works for all users. 40h to thousands h is a good example of the effort.
Just handling translations is a major issue.
Maintenance does not pay for most consumer applications. There is a reason to why commercial applications for companies cost similar in maintenance every year as the initial purchase.

So for most plugin developers (and core ST before ST3), programming is just a hobby. No matter what you do, you should keep it fun. Commercial/donationware/free and opensource/closed, choose whatever that keeps you happy. There will always be developers that will not keep the interest. For users that want to keep developers around, keep developers happy with detailed trouble report with data to recreate problems. For open source projects, if you have just a little programming knowledge, consider to try debugging yourself. (You should sign up as a developer first for US legal requirements.)

I may add that opensource projects help other projects. I have had use of other plugins, PissedOffCil has been added to a few copyright headers in my plugins for instance. Supporting his plugins is supporting others too, PissedOffCil's code is useful as examples. (omb has had some very useful advise too.) Similarly, I have seen traces of code I have been involved in in other plugins too. I stumbled on a project that seemed commercial even if the source was open that had copied all of gps-running code as well as Garmin Fitness and Filtered Statistics. I may add that PissedOffCil's license allows such "stealing" of code but the license for the code in the plugin mandates that the code must stay open. (It does not mean that code may not be be used in other licensed system, but the copyright holder must allow usage.)
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby PissedOffCil » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:20 pm

gerhard wrote:I stumbled on a project that seemed commercial even if the source was open that had copied all of gps-running code as well as Garmin Fitness and Filtered Statistics. I may add that PissedOffCil's license allows such "stealing" of code but the license for the code in the plugin mandates that the code must stay open. (It does not mean that code may not be be used in other licensed system, but the copyright holder must allow usage.)

I'm curious what project that is...
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby clackerz » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:59 pm

texmurphy wrote:

Then will we be able to revise or re-rate?

I totally agree. Re-rating would be great.
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby HENNES » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:23 am

clackerz wrote:
texmurphy wrote:I totally agree. Re-rating would be great.

99% of most plugin users dont rate at all - I dont think we should make such an academics for the few people who do! (like me!)
rgds hennes
- kickbiking with FR 305 and STs 3

runner´s map ... EURE Karte für Laufveranstaltungen - zum MITMACHEN!!!
http://www.runnersmap.info
...mehr als DREI TAUSEND Laufveranstaltungen!
HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:03 am

HENNES wrote:99% of most plugin users dont rate at all - I dont think we should make such an academics for the few people who do! (like me!)

Very good point!

I still haven't rated RYG, but now that I lost my top spot I might as well!

:lol:

Edit: Done!
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Previous

Return to Reach Your Goal