Downloads: 8,105 (39) • Reviews: 16

Version:

Updated:

Mar 7, 2015

SOLVED: Confused about planned quantity

SOLVED: Confused about planned quantity

Postby DaddyRunner » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:38 pm

Hello,

I recently downloaded RYG. However, I am having some difficulty understanding how to use the Plans and Goal tabs. Here is the example I am trying to get to work:

On the Goal tab, I entered the following goal for February:
To: 2/28/2011
Type: Distance
Quantity: 85.0 mi

I then went to the Plans tab and entered all of my planned workouts for the rest of February. I added them by dragging and dropping various modules I had created for each type of run (i.e. easy, tempo, long, etc.). Then in the edit window that pops up, I entered the planned distance for each workout. All of the workouts appear on the calendar.

However, when I look at the top of the Goals tab, I see the following information which doesn't make sense:
Actual quantity: 35.0 (This is correct and corresponds to all of the workouts I have imported from my Garmin)
Done %: 41% (This makes sense)
Difference: -1.4 (This value also makes sense)
Planned quantity: 36.4 (This one makes no sense. It does not correspond at all to what is on the Plans tab)
Remaining: 50.0 (This value also makes sense)

Finally, I am completely confused by what the "Create New Plan of Planned Activities" button does. It appears that I can select the planned workouts I entered above and group them together in a "Plan". However, when I try that, I definitely do not understand the results.

RYG appears to be a very powerful and useful tool only if I could better understand how it works. I have tried reading the PDF manual, but it did not answer my questions. Any assistance from the community would be greatly appreciated!
DaddyRunner

Re: Confused about planned quantity

Postby foiled » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:42 am

As I understand it

complete 85 miles in 28 days = 3.036 miles per day
so in 12 days you should have completed 12*3.036 = 36.43 miles (this is the planned quanity)
You've completed 35 miles, which leaves you -1.4 miles behind (difference)

Sorrry, can't help with the second half of your question. Like you, I get the impression that this is quite a powerful plugin, but I'm missing a trick.
foiled
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Vonni » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:47 am

Hi,
ok I see, there are some confusions and I have definitely explain more in the documentation and maybe some of the terms are not clear enough.

First I want explain that the "goals" and the "plans" are more or less separated parts - and you can't see ANY of the plan tab in the goals. Vice versa it's a little bit different.

The goals tab could be used to monitor the "classical" aims. In your example is this to run 85 miles in February. The goals tab helps you to see, if you are able to reach the goal with the actual training. There are a lot of more columns for the goal display above, not only the few ones you are mentioned. Just click right mouse button and select "list settings". I see now, that it is important to explain the concrete meanings of the fields and I will at this explanation asap in the documentation.

- Quantity: Total planned quantity of the goal (here 85 mi)
- Actual quantity: Sum of the done quantity until today
- Planned quantity (with tolerance): Sum of the planned quantity until today (with showing the tolerance)
- Quantity average: average quantity per day until today
- Quantity estimated: estimated quantity at the until date of the goal based on the actual average quantity per day
- Difference actual / planned: difference between the actual and the planned quantity (until today)
- Done: How many percent of the quantity is already done?
- Remaining: How many quantity is left in the goal?
- Result: Shows the result of the goal (behind, ahead...)
- Days: Total days of the goal
- Days elapsed: How many days have been already elapsed?
- Days remaining: How many days are remaining?
- State: State of the goal (waiting, active, done)
- Percent distance: How many percents of the total distance correspond to the sub goal (used for training plans)
- Percent time: How many percents of the total time correspond to the sub goal (used for training plans)

The plans tab is used to plan a more complicated training goal based on planned activities in the calendar or on a week plan - if wished with automatically increasing of the quantity and the regarding of regeneration weeks.

Out of this definitions the plugin generate goals and sub goals. The plan puts many sub goals together to one big goal.

Just an easy example: You not only want to run the 85 miles in one month (that was your primary goal), you want to split this 85 miles in 60% in heart reate zone XX, 30% in heart rate zone yy and 10% in heart rate zone zz. This exactly you can define in the plan tab and the plugin generates 3 sub goals for the heart rate zone and one superior goal for the total amount of 85 miles. To do this you have to define the modules with the heart rate zones XX, YY, ZZ first. Than they can included in a training plan.

That's the basic idee of the defining of the training plan in the plans tab.

DaddyRunner wrote:Finally, I am completely confused by what the "Create New Plan of Planned Activities" button does. It appears that I can select the planned workouts I entered above and group them together in a "Plan". However, when I try that, I definitely do not understand the results.

If you have a ready training plan out of a book you just can plan the activities in the calendar (like you have done this) and generate the training plan (with the sub goals) out of this planned activities. The Plugin calculates for the percents and quantity in the special (e.g.) heart rate zones autonomous and gives you more flexibility.

I hope, it's clearer how the plugin works. If not, please ask again! :)
Viele Grüße / Best regards
Vonni
Vonni
Donated!
Donated!

Postby DaddyRunner » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:49 pm

Vonni,

Your reply was very helpful. Given the new explanations, I'll have to try some more things out. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks for your help.
DaddyRunner

Re: SOLVED: Confused about planned quantity

Postby sweat_chocolate » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi,

Vonni wrote:Out of this definitions the plugin generate goals and sub goals. The plan puts many sub goals together to one
big goal.
Just an easy example: You not only want to run the 85 miles in one month (that was your primary goal), you want to split this
85 miles in 60% in heart reate zone XX, 30% in heart rate zone yy and 10% in heart rate zone zz. This exactly you can define
in the plan tab and the plugin generates 3 sub goals for the heart rate zone and one superior goal for the total amount of 85
miles. To do this you have to define the modules with the heart rate zones XX, YY, ZZ first. Than they can included in a training plan.

I set three modules for different heart rate zones: 1 = <70%maxHF, 2 = 70-80%maxHF, 3 = >80%maxHF
After the run i get a total result by 69%maxHR, but during the run the heart rate will change between zone one and two.
And now this run is set totally in zone one by 100%, and is not split for both zones.

Do i have to change anything, or is someting wrong?
sweat_chocolate
Donated!
Donated!

Re: SOLVED: Confused about planned quantity

Postby Vonni » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:50 pm

Hi sweat_chocolate,
at the moment, the plugin only uses the average heart rate, but I have planned to respect the exact heart rate data in a future release.
Viele Grüße / Best regards
Vonni
Vonni
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Reach Your Goal